1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 861 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Amazing Vehicle

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"This 99 is my 2nd one. My 87 went over 350,000 without a second thought. Almost trouble free, and only minor issues, (sensors, A/C compressor, things like that) but what can I expect for 350,000 miles. I used it, abused it, neglected it, and put it through things that would destroy the best of them. After I sold it to a friend, it got passed around his family for about another 5 years. It did hit 500,000 before I lost track of it. Even at that point, not even the valve cover was removed. That 4.0 is amazing. I have 84,000 on my 99 now, and it has never let me down, never stranded, always starts right up, even in -30 degree weather. I had to put a fuel pump in it, due to a short span of hard starting, But I expect at least that. What a fantastic truck. A little tight for front legroom, but changing the seat tracks to power helped a ton. If it got totalled today, I would replace it with another exactly like it. There will probably be one in my driveway till the day I die."

Dependable

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"A vehicle to get you from point A to point B, even in inclimate weather. Not comfortable, and drives like a tractor. But if your a person who's primary concern in a vehicle is the basic function of reliable transportation no matter the weather: This is the truck for you!"

By on Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Bought a 99 XJ. 205,000 miles later, replacing only the clutch and a wheel barring, my jeep still starts every day. Great car. The usual replacements: breaks, tires, oil. Nothing can stop this Jeep. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I do have a honda for a gas saver with my high millage commute when gas went through the roof, but I still drive my jeep every day. Inline 6 was the best engine ever built. Can take anything you throw at it. It is almost like a work tool. I use it for everything: towing, 4x4, pulling bushes out, tailgating. LOVE IT"

Best value

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"My 2nd Cherokee- first was an 88 Wagoneer LTD. Which I should have kept. Bought this 98 Sport used in 00 w/ 26K mi., and now have 180,000+ on it and it runs as strong as ever- maybe better. Did have to replace the rotors like everyone it seems, but very strong maintenance record otherwise. Needs a split rear seat, but still very functional and versatile. Towing and offroading no problem. Look for the full time/part time tranny feature if you can find it- great for mixed road conditions (like an AWD system). Do yourself a favor and spend $60 for a K&N high flow air filter- improves throttle response, horsepower and mileage. Also added a stiffer rear leaf spring to keep rear from sagging when loaded- about $150 very well spent. Simply awesome vehicle for the money. Not fancy- but she runs and runs and runs...."

Sweet all-arounder

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"One of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It's nothing super fancy styling wise (but classic), but it does everyting well. Small enough to manuver in the city easily, and more off-road worthy than the new bling-bling SUV's of late. With a $100 aftermarket air intake my power went up a few ponies and MPG went from 18mpg hwy to 22mpg hwy (with a bike rack on top). Plenty of room and yet not too big. Great all around vehicle, Highly recommended."

Kicks Butt

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "fun...reliable...a beast in snow or off road"

Cons: "drinks gas"

"I bought my first 2001 Cherokee new and drove it for 12 years...then went out and found another after the first finally died with 250K miles on it. These vehicles are very very reliable and the absolute BEST in the winter. In the summer I drive my current beast all over the farm and hasnt gotten stuck once. Only drawback? Low gas mileage. But small price to pay for the rest."

Has been a good, reliable friend for 15 years.

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, value, convenience"

Cons: "Getting into the back seat for passengers"

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

"As a single woman, I need a reliable vehicle that I can trust to get me home, even on snowy roads. Big Red has been extremely reliable and a great value. I've kept it maintained and don't treat it badly, so it looks & runs like it's brand new. I had sports cars before so I have never been bothered by the somewhat stiff ride. I've never kept a car this long but since the design changed on the new Jeeps (which I don't like), I plan to keep it because it's so handy to have when one has just one vehicle. Besides by now, it would be emotional to get rid of such a loyal friend."

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

Most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "great handling.. i live in the desert of AZ...perf"

Cons: "speakers got scratchy after awhile"

"I am the original owner, 195,000 miles later it is running very strong. Minimal repair or problems. Replaced clutch at 130k. other than tires and regular oil changes, no problems. I just bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee/ overlander..love that too. I guess Jeep just became part of me"

Very dependable

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"I've left it out in freezing weather all week and it would start right up. The ride can be rough at higher expressway speeds. Some minor problems with the electronic mirror control and the speaker on the passenger side but the car is over 7 years old now."

30 years of Jeeps

By on Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"I have had them all, this year Cherokee or years close to it were in my opinion the best jeep ever made. I have owned all of them and have also owned other SUV but this one it both a true off road vehicle, great family hauler, third one I have owned and driven well over 200k, even with the lift kit and big tires I still get 20mpg while towing my boat. Worse mistake Daimler Chrysler ever made was discontinuing this model"