1998 Jaguar XJ

8.3

Based on 198 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

I love my car!

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "Prettiest car on the road! Graceful-powerfull-Safe"

Cons: "Premium gas but worth it to own."

1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas

"I have owned this car for 9 years and it has been easy on the budget considering I have put 105,000 miles on it since I bought it. I feel safe, eligant and and comfortable driving it. I have owned several Jaguars, and I can't think of owning anything else."

1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas

My last car...

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "low maintenance costs - great security system"

Cons: "needs roof handle to help driver to exit"

"I will keep this car as long as I can drive. Easy and inexpensive to maintain and economical to drive. Many newer models may have more electronics and the new, but common European design; this model has all the indispensable equipment and will always retain its classic appearance."

Really a Spa Car

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"Purchased from the single owner, I thought maybe I had paid too much at $28,000 for a 2002 XJ8. But, it only had 10K miles! And it was the color I wanted. And it was my 50th birthday present to myself. What the heck, I bought it because I've always wanted a Jag. Boy, am I glad I did. What a sweet car. Good job, Ford, never thought you could make an English luxury car better. If there was a massaging seat I'd never have to visit my spa again. God is good."

Know what you're buying

By on Sunday, March 28, 2010

"It's a little amusing reading these reviews. It's a love it or hate it kind of car based upon whether or not you look after it or not. It's a big Jag, and, given that you look after it, will give you decades of glorious motoring. I've had my XJ8 VDP for about seven years, and it has not gone wrong yet, except for the front shocks were replaced as one was leaking slightly. A great drive, a perfect mix between glorious comfort when you want to cruise, and a real blast when you want to get sporty. The only concern in the back of my mind is tha plastic timing chain tensioners they fitted to the pre 2001 engines. They might break up and cause major engine troubles. The newer models have metal tensioners. The leather needs looking after, and the wood, yes it IS real wood, has a lacquer that can haze over time, but all in all, a great looking classic. Be careful of the engine if you buy used, but apart from that, this car is mechanically bomb proof. Highly recommended. I read one review where the writer was complaining about the timing belt breaking... they don't have timing belts... it's a big chain. And they don't break."

Fabulous luxary sedan.

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

"Pros: Classy! The supercharger makes all the differents when you live at nearly 7,000 feet. Driving up and down the mountain is a great experience. Four wheel independent suspension helps grip the road and smooth out the bumps. Truly a pleasure to drive short and long distance. Of course, it doesn't have all the widgets a new one has but has so much at a fraction of the cost of a new car. Cons: It's difficult to hunt down electrical problems and expensive to randomly replace electrical components trying to fix a problem like door lock malfunction. Still, I'd buy this car again in a heartbeat."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Jaguar XJ near Honolulu. See local deals