1999 Jaguar XJ Series

8.3

Based on 198 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

I love my car!

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "Prettiest car on the road! Graceful-powerfull-Safe"

Cons: "Premium gas but worth it to own."

1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas

"I have owned this car for 9 years and it has been easy on the budget considering I have put 105,000 miles on it since I bought it. I feel safe, eligant and and comfortable driving it. I have owned several Jaguars, and I can't think of owning anything else."

1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas

Really a Spa Car

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"Purchased from the single owner, I thought maybe I had paid too much at $28,000 for a 2002 XJ8. But, it only had 10K miles! And it was the color I wanted. And it was my 50th birthday present to myself. What the heck, I bought it because I've always wanted a Jag. Boy, am I glad I did. What a sweet car. Good job, Ford, never thought you could make an English luxury car better. If there was a massaging seat I'd never have to visit my spa again. God is good."

My last car...

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "low maintenance costs - great security system"

Cons: "needs roof handle to help driver to exit"

"I will keep this car as long as I can drive. Easy and inexpensive to maintain and economical to drive. Many newer models may have more electronics and the new, but common European design; this model has all the indispensable equipment and will always retain its classic appearance."

Not Reliable

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I've owned my 98 VDP for just under three years. Bought it with 60,000 miles and has 100,000 miles now. As I drive 25,000 miles a year, I have only driven it 40,000 miles in three years because it's in the shop so often. The positive points are that it is comfortable and looks good, and when running, is great on the highway. Bad points: transmission acts funny- car can be hard to stop as it races, coil packs in engine frequently go bad and are very expensive, few people will work on it and the dealer (there is only 1 in my area and it is 1 hour away) is awful, expensive, slow, and rude (most cars they service and sell are Subarus and Pontiacs). The interior parts keep falling off, such as the driver door panel, the rear third brake light keeps falling off, and the trunk lid keeps coming out of allignment. The driver door latches break frequently too. Because Jaguar software is proprietary (I am told my usual mechanic can't do a lot of repairs and can't see why the check engine lights come on. Also, water leaks in the gas cap and gets in the engine. Two more unrelated points- the car is actually good in snow (upstate, NY) and the seats are too short and uncomfortable, even for people of average height and weight."

My 4th Jag!

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

"I have had the good fortune of owning an '87 XJ6, '98 XJ8 Vanden Plas, and two '00 XJ8 Vanden Plas. My current car has just a little over 40,000 miles. All of the cars have been absolute pleasures to own. The styling of these cars is sublime. Elegant, sleek and distinctive; even non-car people know a Jaguar when they seen one. It still turns heads everywhere I go. Performance? Incredible. Brilliant acceleration and handling for a large heavy car. Fuel consumption? Not great, but not bad for a heavy V8 luxury car (and better than most SUVs). I get about 14-15 mpg around town. Value? Unbelievable used car buy. They can be purchased for a tiny fraction of what they cost new (and the 98-03 cars are prettier than the new ones!). Reliability has been excellent. You must keep up the maintenance, it is a must. I have never had any major mechanical issues with any of the cars. I am very happy with the car, I still give it a second look after getting out. Just gorgeous. Mine is the striking Platinum silver with rare black Vanden Plas interior. STUNNING."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Jaguar XJ Series near Honolulu. See local deals