1992 Jaguar XJ Series

8.3

Based on 60 Ratings for the 1992 - 1994 models.

1992 XJ6 4 Dr. Sedan - Classic

By on Thursday, April 2, 2009

"I bought this car in 2004 for under a $1000 to resale to a friend. I liked it so much I decided to keep it. It had 170,000 miles when I got it and now I am at 230,000. Prior to me owning it the car had been maintained on its proper maintenance schedule by professional repair shops. Due to my budget constraints I have done ALL my maintenance and repairs myself or with help from friends. Despite that the car continues to run and the engine, transmission, and rear are solid. The car has required a bit of tinkering to resolve some issues and I have been able to make the minor repairs inexpensively by getting the parts at Pull A Part Salvage otherwise the parts would have been much higher. Literally I have maybe put $350 in the car that wasn't normal maintenance. Biggest problems areas I found in this car was with the fuel injectors. Once the problem was identified it wasn't hard to resolve. Note though new fuel injector is $100 and I got the used for $6 so obvious savings. Note that if the fuel pump goes you have to replace much more because they revamped it and the harness in the gas tank is not offered for the original equipment. In my case we actually made a wiring harness and it continues to work. Generally the electronics tend to have problems from time to time. Also the original struts once a problem are not easily repaired. Most switch it out for a later concept but in my case I just replaced totally spent struts with ones that were less worn out. Thus an awesome ride in my case is compromised but to me its satifactory and i rather not make the investment. This car for the size and weigh actually has some nice get up and go in it. You can get in the fast lane and it cruises nicely. I enjoy how safe I feel in it as compared to other cars. Its a heavy solid car which certainly would withstand a collison better then many others should such an unfortunate situation occur. I can't remember the exact place or statistic I read about this but the general statement was that Jaguars are one of the least likely vehicles to be pulled over by law enforcement based upon the number on the road and traffic stops by law enforcement. Not sure if that is a meaningful stat since it depends on how you drive but maybe there is something else that works in the jaguar drivers favor and if so then that is a plus. The computer and information it provides is nice for a 92. This car has fuses everywhere so that might be good or bad you can be the judge. What I really love about the car is the styling because I just think it is unique in that to me it doesn't become outdated. Its a Classic Style at least to me so while other brands and model tend to age in the style and look the Jaguar in that 90 plus years remain uniquely stylish to this day at least to me. Additionally its the Jaguar name. Funny how it generally gives the impression to others that is more valued certainly then the modest $ I have in it. That never hurts. I've looked at replacing mine but I continue to conclude I still like it enough that I don't have enough reason to spend money on something else in todays economy. Enjoy!!"

Vault Solid...

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"I asked Jaguar mechanics before buying any Jag, and the universal opinion was to look for this particular 6 Cylinder and transmission combination. According to them, this great combo has been considered bullet-proof. The 8 cyl of this era had overheating problems."

Great car if your not a perfectionist!

By on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"I've owned this car for 28 months now, and have put 20,000 miles on it. Just put a new paint job on it after somebody keyed it at my college, looks great now. Just wanted to say this is a good car if you don't mind paying a little extra to drive something you really like. Gas millege is mediocre. In Chicago, I get about 14 mpg, but when I drove to college, a six hour drive, I get 22 mpg...according to the trip computer which is junk in my opinion. On the subject though, over my long drives this car is so comfortable it seems like nothing. If you do want to get one of these, it would be better for somebody with a garage, because water gathers in several spots which leads to rust if your not careful with drying it. My check engine light, brake light, and lightbulb warning light have been on constantly for the past four months, but the jaguar dealer mechanic assured me everything was fine, it's just that these cars are temporamental. SO if you have a weak heart, or a light wallet, maybe not the car for you."

Best Jaguar I Ever Owned

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Actually, this is the best car I ever owned, my first Jaguar and I've put nearly 90K mi. on it since I bought it. A very reliable, comfortable and great handling car. More practical than my XJ-S and a better car (opinion) than my newer XJ12. Now with over 180,000 mi., it's showing it's age. This first year of the XJ40 is widely considered to be the worst. I think that's unfair. Jaguar reached for the stars with the 1988 VDP in it shows. It does everything better than it should. Handling, power, comfort are top-notch. Problem areas are mainly due to design innovation, not lack of quality. The self-leveling rear suspension was nice, but considering the poor service life of the Bodge struts, not worth the cost to maintain. The hydraulic brake booster that used the suspension pump, was a reasonable design decision at the time. The ABS system was ahead of it's time but 20 years later, it's problematic. Fortunately, there are plenty of parts cars available. I do nearly all of my own work so my economics are favorable for owning one of these unfairly maligned cars. In 7 years, I have replaced a steering pump, rack, hoses, changed the hydraulic suspension to standard shocks and springs, wheel bearings, front bushings, brake pads, rotors and oil changes. That's almost nothing. Oh sure, I also did some dummy things as well. It's not the car's fault that I left the gas cap off in a rainstorm and got a good amount of water in the tank. The ensuing misery of draining the system and replacing fuel pump and filter was well deserved. This is a driver's car. Fantastic on road trips. If you spend 8 hours driving this car, you will feel better at the end than when you started. Everything in the cockpit is where it should be. Controls are placed naturally, right where you would want them. Seats are comfortable, fully adjustable and heated. The driver's seat reclines flat so you can take a snooze. You can monitor CB channel 19 with a button on the stereo for real-time traffic conditions on the interstate. Sure, it's all a little dated (no cup holders, but everyone has an ashtray), but the car is packed with technology and was well ahead of it's time. Bottom line: Do the maintenance, stay ahead of the rust and this may be the best car you'll ever own."

Nothing compares 2 U

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

"Mine has over 200,000 miles, Purchased when she had about 140,000 Besides keeping her lubrecated and new tires , shes a dream and the ride is Powereful ,fun and inspiring. whould not trade her for the world,{ am very curious to know how much milage this type of car is usually avaraging????? or am I just extremely Lucky.....} Much sucess to you car enthusists and keep rockin and rollin....."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Jaguar XJ Series near Honolulu. See local deals