2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.9

Based on 121 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

99 PROBLEMS BUT MY HYUNDAI

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas, looks awesome, fun to drive."

Cons: "Blind spots(2) of them I found."

"I was just looking into buying a car. I was of course on a budget and didnt want to spend a lot of money. My last car I replaced this car with was a Honda Civic 98. I bought that car brand new and still have it. So much for replacement, Oh well I still drive this car plus my g/f drives the car more then me. Now I did test out many cars I liked I am kind of basis I didnt test any American cars. My thoughts and impressions of my new ride. 1. The power of the car 138hp my civic got 106hp works for me plus dont need my g/f speeding anyways. 2. The clock on the radio sometimes dont say the correct time is that a big deal no I have a watch and a smart phone. 3. Not a gas hog, plus its a fun car to zig zag around town. Always gets attention chick magnet, but I have a g/f still a plus nice to talk to people and get their feedback. 4. The 2 blind spots for me are: making a left turn the outside mirror is in my way to look at the crosswalk. when backing up and looking on the side passenger view. Fixes for my problems were. Get little side mirrors on my mirrors itself HELPS SO MUCH with those side blind spots. And I did get a long BROADWAY MIRROR for the inside mirror. That little window in the back seemed so small. But that was a fixed now I see 100% better. Overall: I knew about some of the things since I research like no tommrrow on utube and test driving this car. I read people complain about power and gas mileage. All I can say you was a idiot for buying this car if that was important to you. Do your research to plunk down any kind of money know what your getting. I havent had any problems major with these car. I love it and I glad I bought it. Features too many to list but my favs are: lcd screen, alloys rims, and just the style of the car its just awesome to look at it. Upgrades in the future would be: exhuast, air intake, car speakers with small 8 inch tube sub with 2 ch amp. The only thing I wish it did have but I couldnt afford was the sunroof. But then again comes with other things I didnt want anyways there was no options to have one or the other."

Not the car in the commercials

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Features for price, Reliability, Warranty"

Cons: "Features not as advertised, Iffy dynamics, SLOW"

"Regarding the driving dynamics, these weren't issues I really noticed on the test drive, but became more and more apparent as time went on. The car really is woefully underpowered. It's not that it isn't quick enough for me, an admitted speed freak, it's that it isn't quick enough for itself. The car really needs about thirty to forty more horsepower to get out of its own way. Pressing the accelerator to the floor does nothing - the car gasps and wheezes for air as it slowly chugs forward, growling angrily and belching exhaust smoke. The speedometer generously goes to 120, though frankly I've never been able to get it above 80. The tires are atrocious. TireRack.com reviews are just ten pages of "the worst tires I've ever used," and for good reason. I lose traction in REVERSE, coming out of my paved driveway. The tires chirp and the traction control light goes off when easing away from a red light. That kind of performance unforgivable for any tire in the 21st century. The handling and cornering are good, especially for the price, but the fact that Hyundai has only been designing suspensions for the better part of five years becomes apparent as soon as you go over a bump in a corner. The back of the car kicks out and makes a loud clunking noise, delivering a jarring impact and forcing you to quickly recorrect your steering so you don't plow into a tree. This didn't bother me at first, but it's become more and more terrifying to know that I'm going to completely, totally, and loudly lose control of my car at certain points on familiar roads. There is no soundproofing, and the proprietary BlueLink system is unforgivably bad. Navigation is annoying and often woefully inaccurate. Sound quality is good, seats are comfortable, and controls are well-laid out and intuitive. The car is solidly put together and a comfortable commuter. I know this sounds more negative than a 7/10 review, but I really am pretty pleased with the car. It gets me where I need to go in style, at reasonable gas mileage (I've never reached the advertised 40mpg, averaging instead about 27-32 mixed). The car is well-built and easy to maintain, with a great warranty. It just hurts knowing it could have been so much better. A reworked suspension, better tires, and about thirty more horsepower are really all it needs to be a performer. A few other bug fixes and it'd be a great car. As such, it's only pretty good."

Get little car especially with the Turbo, r flex

By on Monday, May 11, 2015

Pros: "Fun, quick car, great handleing"

Cons: "Probably not a winter car."

"I just purchased this little gem. I drive a lot and wanted something with good gas mileage and some fun. The best I can say is the six speed manual is quick and a blast. Handling is really tight. I drive many two lane roads with curves and hills, I enjoy my ride every day. When I have to pass something big and slow, I know it will only take a few seconds. Technology included is also nice especially the back up camera and hands free features. I have two daughters, they do not mind riding in the back seat. They have enough room to relax and they love the car too. Glad I bought it, it aggravates the x wife too. That's just a bonus feature. Love it"

My second favorite car after my '67 E-type Jag

By on Thursday, January 8, 2015

Pros: "Great price, not your typical econobox"

Cons: "The turbo model didn't come in yellow"

"Love this car. 20K miles and it is doing great. Over 30 mpg in everyday driving and over 35 on 75 mph trips. Front seats are very comfortable. I have made several 15 hour trips without feeling tired or sore. The back seat is small, but hey, it is a sub-compact. The Veloster can carry a surprising amount of stuff with the back seat down. Gets lots of positive comments at the gas station."

A little pocket rocket

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pros: "Unique and fun"

Cons: "Turbo version is a must"

"Remember the 1988 Hyundai Excel. Well, this is not that 80s Hyundai anymore. The company has evolved into a world class auto maker contender earning award winning designs and performances repeatedly. The Turbo version is a must for added hp but you need to know how to take advantages of those extras. It's a joy to drive a TGDI engine with Shiftronic and paddle shifters. Disregard all the negative reviews. Beautiful design inside and out. Tech savvy will love it. It's a smorgasbord of media connectivities. Hyundai paid very good attention to details on this car, even the license plate gets its own Veloster emblem, very well build and made as well with almost 30% discount in compare to other brands with similar 'luxury' items. Rear view camera is an awesome feature. The front grille looks very aggressive and the rear is so sexy with twin chrome exhaust Slalom is very smooth and agile. Great mpg too. Get one while it last, you'll love it."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Pros: "Excellent value, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Small back seats"

"The first time I drove (and then owned) a Hyundai I was impress with the value. That was 1994. I now own my fourth Hyundai vehicle with this 2013 Veloster Turbo. Each time I go for a little more horse power than the last. AND each model of Hyundai I've seen over the years ups the quality from the last. They continue to improve and impress. The positives with the Veloster Turbo is the power to weight ratio and all of the extras it comes with; excellent bang for the buck. I test drove a non-turbo'd model and I would not recommend it for anyone who enjoys driving. The handling of this car was an improvement over the Hyundai Tiburon that it replaced for the maker. This is lighter, has more horse power and torque, and is just as sporty. The back seats are not something you'll want to use regularly for anyone taller than 5'4" or so. The front seats however are comfortable to all but very tall people. The cabin is just as stylish as the exterior and everything seems in it's place. Any of the upgraded models above the standard come with key-less entry and push button start AS WELL as a entertainment system that includes access to Sirius/XM radio and Pandora Radio through your smartphone via bluetooth. AND how about a USB plug? Yes, I simply load up a 32gig USB drive with MP3s and the stereo system (7" touch screen) will recognize and play my 5,500 song list album covers and all. I found the 8 speaker system better than most stock systems, however I put in an aftermarket sub-woofer for a bit more low end kick. This car is perfect for a commute or a road trip for a driver and one passenger."

Save Yourself Headaches!

By on Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pros: "Looks and Cargo area"

Cons: "Reliability and Service"

"Bought this 2 months ago. Got 40-45 mpg's hwy the first 2 weeks. When suddenly the mpg's dropped to 32-35 mpg hwy and a watery/oily substance started leaking out of the tailpipes at the back of the vehicle. The leak is so bad it falls on my driveway and cakes/stains the tailpipes. After taking it in twice now, The dealer and Hyundai say this is a known/normal phenomenon to this vehicle. They have no current plans to work on this issue. It has also locked me in my car twice once the keys were removed from the ignition and the alarms were going off. So much for 10 yrs/100,000 miles..... If they say there is no problem or they can't find it; then they don't have to fix it! Please don't save your time and money!"

i put in a cold air intake, magna flow exhaust

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pros: "alldone on regular fuel"

Cons: "oem tires stink"

"also a short shifter kit best bang and most fun you can have for under 25k started using premium fuel and its a little rocket"

Unreliable!!!

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Great looks."

Cons: "Very unreliable! Horrible customer service!"

"My wife and I purchased a brand NEW 2013 Hyundai Veloster in May 2013. It now has 8,200 miles on it and has been to the dealer on three separate occasions for the same problem. The stereo will go dead, then in a day or two the car itself will be dead! The first two times it had to be towed because it would not start. This last time it happened on March 13th 2014 and we just got the vehicle back today April 2nd 2014. At least this time we were able to get it to the dealer before it stranded us again. The first time the vehicle had 201 miles on it. The second time it had about 6,000 miles on it. This last time as I stated it had about 8,200 miles on it. My wife and I have both expressed our concerns about the reliability of this vehicle and concerns about being stranded again. We have asked Hyundai if we can get out from under this vehicle and are even willing to give another Hyundai a try. However the offer they gave us will not even pay off the car. We have emailed and called Hyundai Consumer Affairs again and are waiting on a response. We asked the dealer today if we could hold off picking up the problem Veloster until we here back again from Hyundai Consumer Affairs because we were concerned of the possibility of getting stranded again and were told we could not. If you are considering purchasing a Hyundai, at this time I would have to recommend against it. I do believe it is possible that we just happened to get a “bad one”. However Hyundai does not appear to be in any hurry to make this right which concerns me."

not very practical, just very cool

By on Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Pros: "mpg, fun to drive, great power for small engine"

Cons: "turbo lag, no power seats, no spare tire"

"This car is just plain fun to drive. The turbo is a bit laggy and there is no reason to use the eco button as it causes a delay in shift time with little to no mpg payoff. Handling is pristine, I can't imagine how much more improved the rspec is, I don't think it matters unless you plan on racing. The downside of such a light car in winter is that it bombs in the snow. It just can't clamp down when snow is too deep or slushy, so I had to greatly adjust to what was otherwise familiar conditions. Inside, it's like a playground, with every tech desired, and the blue ambient lighting theme throughout the cabin and in the gauges are reminiscent of something in a sci-fi movie. Not to mention the push button ignition: safer, more convenient (my keys never leave my pocket), and spaceship like. The big mystery to me is the third door that is of no real value: an adult can barely fit through it and it screws with the symmetry of the car. The only advantage I can see is that it gets rid of what would have been a massive blind spot, so is it strategy or style? Also, there are heated seats but not power seats, really?? I was sceptical about cargo space, but the area is so deep that it makes up for lack of length, so groceries don't have to invade the rear seating area. That being said, they could have sacrificed some of the space and put a real spare tire In there, they said it made it lighter and improved mpg...whatever. I got this car on a lease, but no way am I giving it back. Best little car I have ever had."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals