2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.9

Based on 117 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

Pretty to look at, but overall awful car.

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Good looks, lots of techy toys"

Cons: "noisey, upgraded speakers blow, poor performance"

"The veloster may be one of the best looking cars (especially with the fun colors [Vitamin C]), but it has got to be one of the biggest disappointments on the road. The seats feel comfortable, and everything looks good on the inside. You almost feel like you're getting strapped in to a race car. Well... the cheap composite plastic moldings on the inside make for a squeaky/rattly ride. God help you, should you hit a pot hole. I (quite literally) was noticeably jarred when I hit a pot hole going 50 mph. The car swerved into the other lane. I was lucky nobody was there. It's got to be one of the roughest rides I've ever experienced. And then, there's the upgraded sound system. I have had ALL of the speakers replaced within the first 8 months of owning the vehicle--one of them replaced twice! They keep blowing. This is due to extremely poor quality products Hyundai is using. I do NOT play the music loud at all. The volume level has never been above 12 in my car (and that's not even half way!). The dealership I bought it from denies any "known issues" although there were three velosters in at the same exact time, the last time I took mine in for a speaker replacement. The windshield wiper motor also went out within this 8 month period. And now, the window control for the passenger window seems to have gone out. The trunk unlock button on both key fobs don't seem to work--I only recently thought to try this feature out within the last month. The car is LOADED with fun tech surprises--that was another huge draw for me. But the interior is just incredibly cheap. The carpet and upholstery is just awful looking. Again, I love, love, LOVE the look of the car. I can almost live with the sluggish performance (the gas mileage, after all, is pretty darned good--especially in the Dallas traffic!), but there have been too many "little" things to go wrong with the car in less than a year. What can I really expect to happen when the car is no longer under warranty? I can honestly say that this is my first and LAST hyundai experience. I have no desire to purchase another hyundai again. Even though I'm upside down on my car payment, I'm giving some serious thought to trading it in, just to get rid of it while they're still popular enough to let some other sucker take the bait."

Exactly what i thought it would be

By on Friday, May 25, 2012

Pros: "The style and tech package."

Cons: "I can only afford one."

"I'm amassed at ratings saying its under powered....at 138HP, its more than enough for this gas sipper,I knew this going into the deal...if one wants something more powerful=less MPG..there are plenty of guzzlers to chose from.. with more power. I love the funky stying of this car..great sporty looks without living for the gas tank. No problems with this car for me and as a previous Hyundai owner(multiple)I have confidence in their ability to correct things. My purchase experience was great, I am enjoying this car and have no regrets on my choice. If you want economy with nice sporty looks..this is it..if you like the car but want more power..wait for the Turbo version this summer."

A lot of car for the money

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "sporty ,roomy,solid,and good on gas"

Cons: "lack of lumbar support in front seats"

"Sliver auto with style package. Turn off the eco button and use the paddle shifters.Left on its own accord it is slow to respond.Choose your gears and the car will fly.I pull the hill going out of town at 80mph.My R/T Challenger was good for 90mph in the same spot.MPG has come up as the car breaks in to 39 mpg.I added an air intake to the car the first week i owned it $239. The car has done well in the snow. The front seats lack back support."

Good looking, gas saving, and decently priced

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "Fuel mileage, pricing, style, amenities."

Cons: "Tires are a bit noisy."

"This is complementing my new commute of 70 miles to work and I must say the handling, gas mileage, and drive-ability of this car makes it worth a look at. The 1.4 liter engine is right there when you need it. It corners well, brakes excellently and is not uncomfortable for longer trips. The dash is easily read and the touch screen gives you access to every thing you need to make your drive pleasant. The controls are right at your fingertips and with the dual clutch of the automatic there is no lag when you need to accelerate quickly. In summation if you are looking for a good reliable car for your daily driver and don't want to sit in a box, go look at this car."

Nice Car, Under Powered

By on Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "looks great inside and out, unique styling"

Cons: "lacking power"

"I have looked at this car several times and finally set up a test drive. I was in a fully loaded Veloster, yellow w/ yellow accents on the wheels and it was beautiful. As soon as I sat in the car I was impressed with the seating and options on the car. The price fully loaded was around 23K as opposed to close to 29k for an equally equipped Ford Focus. I liked everything about the car until I drove it. It was not bad to drive but it is severely under powered for it's weight. The engine is peppy a stand still but the little 1.6 liter engine will leave you frustrated 2 seconds after you're moving. Good news is the 2013 model will have a turbo option w/ about 200hp compared to the 138hp currently in the car. Bad news is, the turbo isn't free so the price mark up will about $2k. I liked the car but settled with a Kia Forte SX which I love, has all the options that the Veloster had (w/black leather seating stitched in red- the Veloster had cloth seats only), has the same warranty as the Veloster, but the Forte puts out about 175hp. My suggestion is: if you really want a Veloster, which is a nice car, wait for the turbo."

Stylish, efficient, handles well and vey techy

By on Monday, May 7, 2012

Pros: "sporty versatile and economical"

Cons: "visibility and low profile tires"

"I have the found my fully loaded Veloster fun to drive and fuel efficient. I am getting about 33 MPG overall and nearly 40 on the highway. I just finished a 1200 mile drive and averaged 39 mpg at ~75 mph average speed. I had no problem passing even going from 70 to 90 to acomplish the task with ease. My fully loaded V has the technology to find restaurants on the fly, while ziping in and out of traffic with ease. My plan is to give it the boys in a couple of years as a safe not to crazy sport coupe that I can track through the blue link."

Totally Sucks

By on Sunday, June 19, 2016

Pros: "Looks"

Cons: "Bad ride. Hard to keep clean. Really bad ride."

"This car may look good but it really isn't worth the money. I've had this car for almost 3 yrs and think almost every day I wish I had not purchased it."

veloster 2012

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"had this baby for almost 2 years and absolutely love it! the best car ever had in this class, great for a city and just enough power on the freeway. lots of room on the back and my bicycle fits, 2 surfboards etc."

Decent car

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Low cost, good warranty"

Cons: "has it bugs"

"I bought the car new at end of 2011, since then I have had multiple issues with the car (e-brake, steering wheel leather, rust, molding, and a few other minor electronic issues). All of the issues have been taken care of by my dealer, make sure you find a good dealer if you get this car. Also, the issues typically only happen once in awhile, so I video tape it with my phone if I am having a problem to prove it to the dealer, they don't argue, but it does help them if they can't get the issue to reoccur. Overall I like the car, good fuel mileage if you are easy on the gas pedal (35-38 mpg hwy, 28-32 city)"

Think Harder than I did before buying a Veloster

By on Sunday, March 6, 2016

Pros: "Price, exterior appearance"

Cons: "Quality, performance, handling, design"

"Captured by it's looks (more unique than most other new vehicles) I did a quick search and found no huge issues, so I bought in. Once I became an owner, I found it's performance greatly lacking, a history of service issues, and most owners looking to pay it off and be rid of it. The acceleration can be jerky and unpredictable. Handling in a hatchback is rarely great, but this one is fairly poor. The interior's quality appears good at first glance, but after a month or more the cheapness begins to make itself apparent with easily scuffed and scratched surfaces, creaking plastic fixtures, and a poorly designed interface for the head unit. Research LSPI issues with the Veloster engines, and Hyundai's response to them. To be fair many manufacturers are struggling with GDI engines. As a former owner of Toyotas and Hondas, I can say my first (and last) experience with Hyundai certainly leaves much to be desired."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals