2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.9

Based on 121 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

Not the car in the commercials

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Features for price, Reliability, Warranty"

Cons: "Features not as advertised, Iffy dynamics, SLOW"

"Regarding the driving dynamics, these weren't issues I really noticed on the test drive, but became more and more apparent as time went on. The car really is woefully underpowered. It's not that it isn't quick enough for me, an admitted speed freak, it's that it isn't quick enough for itself. The car really needs about thirty to forty more horsepower to get out of its own way. Pressing the accelerator to the floor does nothing - the car gasps and wheezes for air as it slowly chugs forward, growling angrily and belching exhaust smoke. The speedometer generously goes to 120, though frankly I've never been able to get it above 80. The tires are atrocious. TireRack.com reviews are just ten pages of "the worst tires I've ever used," and for good reason. I lose traction in REVERSE, coming out of my paved driveway. The tires chirp and the traction control light goes off when easing away from a red light. That kind of performance unforgivable for any tire in the 21st century. The handling and cornering are good, especially for the price, but the fact that Hyundai has only been designing suspensions for the better part of five years becomes apparent as soon as you go over a bump in a corner. The back of the car kicks out and makes a loud clunking noise, delivering a jarring impact and forcing you to quickly recorrect your steering so you don't plow into a tree. This didn't bother me at first, but it's become more and more terrifying to know that I'm going to completely, totally, and loudly lose control of my car at certain points on familiar roads. There is no soundproofing, and the proprietary BlueLink system is unforgivably bad. Navigation is annoying and often woefully inaccurate. Sound quality is good, seats are comfortable, and controls are well-laid out and intuitive. The car is solidly put together and a comfortable commuter. I know this sounds more negative than a 7/10 review, but I really am pretty pleased with the car. It gets me where I need to go in style, at reasonable gas mileage (I've never reached the advertised 40mpg, averaging instead about 27-32 mixed). The car is well-built and easy to maintain, with a great warranty. It just hurts knowing it could have been so much better. A reworked suspension, better tires, and about thirty more horsepower are really all it needs to be a performer. A few other bug fixes and it'd be a great car. As such, it's only pretty good."

Get little car especially with the Turbo, r flex

By on Monday, May 11, 2015

Pros: "Fun, quick car, great handleing"

Cons: "Probably not a winter car."

"I just purchased this little gem. I drive a lot and wanted something with good gas mileage and some fun. The best I can say is the six speed manual is quick and a blast. Handling is really tight. I drive many two lane roads with curves and hills, I enjoy my ride every day. When I have to pass something big and slow, I know it will only take a few seconds. Technology included is also nice especially the back up camera and hands free features. I have two daughters, they do not mind riding in the back seat. They have enough room to relax and they love the car too. Glad I bought it, it aggravates the x wife too. That's just a bonus feature. Love it"

My second favorite car after my '67 E-type Jag

By on Thursday, January 8, 2015

Pros: "Great price, not your typical econobox"

Cons: "The turbo model didn't come in yellow"

"Love this car. 20K miles and it is doing great. Over 30 mpg in everyday driving and over 35 on 75 mph trips. Front seats are very comfortable. I have made several 15 hour trips without feeling tired or sore. The back seat is small, but hey, it is a sub-compact. The Veloster can carry a surprising amount of stuff with the back seat down. Gets lots of positive comments at the gas station."

A little pocket rocket

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pros: "Unique and fun"

Cons: "Turbo version is a must"

"Remember the 1988 Hyundai Excel. Well, this is not that 80s Hyundai anymore. The company has evolved into a world class auto maker contender earning award winning designs and performances repeatedly. The Turbo version is a must for added hp but you need to know how to take advantages of those extras. It's a joy to drive a TGDI engine with Shiftronic and paddle shifters. Disregard all the negative reviews. Beautiful design inside and out. Tech savvy will love it. It's a smorgasbord of media connectivities. Hyundai paid very good attention to details on this car, even the license plate gets its own Veloster emblem, very well build and made as well with almost 30% discount in compare to other brands with similar 'luxury' items. Rear view camera is an awesome feature. The front grille looks very aggressive and the rear is so sexy with twin chrome exhaust Slalom is very smooth and agile. Great mpg too. Get one while it last, you'll love it."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Pros: "Excellent value, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Small back seats"

"The first time I drove (and then owned) a Hyundai I was impress with the value. That was 1994. I now own my fourth Hyundai vehicle with this 2013 Veloster Turbo. Each time I go for a little more horse power than the last. AND each model of Hyundai I've seen over the years ups the quality from the last. They continue to improve and impress. The positives with the Veloster Turbo is the power to weight ratio and all of the extras it comes with; excellent bang for the buck. I test drove a non-turbo'd model and I would not recommend it for anyone who enjoys driving. The handling of this car was an improvement over the Hyundai Tiburon that it replaced for the maker. This is lighter, has more horse power and torque, and is just as sporty. The back seats are not something you'll want to use regularly for anyone taller than 5'4" or so. The front seats however are comfortable to all but very tall people. The cabin is just as stylish as the exterior and everything seems in it's place. Any of the upgraded models above the standard come with key-less entry and push button start AS WELL as a entertainment system that includes access to Sirius/XM radio and Pandora Radio through your smartphone via bluetooth. AND how about a USB plug? Yes, I simply load up a 32gig USB drive with MP3s and the stereo system (7" touch screen) will recognize and play my 5,500 song list album covers and all. I found the 8 speaker system better than most stock systems, however I put in an aftermarket sub-woofer for a bit more low end kick. This car is perfect for a commute or a road trip for a driver and one passenger."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals