2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.9

Based on 121 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

very good commuter

By on Monday, August 7, 2017

Pros: "mpg, price, fun, design, compact, roomy"

Cons: "a/c, tranny questionable, insulation, lack of hp"

"Main issues for me are the a/c unit and manual transmission. Living in Nevada i dont think a/c sufficient enough for the hot Las Vegas summers. Sure the a/c works and blows cold air but even with tinted windows, I dont think theres enough insulation in the car. As for the manual transmission, it started to make rattling noises at around 38000 miles. Also the drivetrain warranty, it will take forever (couple months) to replace the transmission because the replacement tranny is coming from South Korea. Other than those issues, the veloster is an excellent city car with very good highway mpg, very light and maneuverable chassis, roomier than it looks with convenient hatchback design, and personally I would not seat anyone taller than 59 in the back seats. I recommend getting the turbo version of the Veloster because the NA 1.6 liter is underpowered against the wind plus it does not like the cold weather some odd reason. The driver seating position is excellent. C-pillars cause major blind spots along with back window splitter, makes it kind of hard to tell if thats cop behind you. I give this Veloster RE:Mix Edition 8/10 for what it is made for, economy sporty-looking city car."

2016 Veloster R Spec 10 month review

By on Friday, September 1, 2017

Pros: "Slick shifter with short crisp short throws"

Cons: "No spare tire. Firm but not punishing ride."

"Owner with 5K miles on odo. Car was delivered with a battery with a dead cell, which was replaced by dealer at no cost or hassle. Reliability perfect after that. Note: car has no spare tire, only a flat fix kit. Ill be looking for some run flat or self sealing replacement tires. Ride quality is firm. Speed bumps can be jarring. Rear corner visibility compromised. Auxiliary right side convex mirror highly recommended. The absolute best feature of the car is the 6 speed manual transmission with B&M sport shifter which is an absolute pleasure to use. Shifts are short crisp and positive, Torque delivery from the turbocharged engine provides abundant torque at low rpms-making it especially easy for manual shift beginners. Fuel economy is disappointing at 25 mpg even with non aggressive driving. Hyundai has historically published overly optimistic mpg figures for which they were busted-forcing them to send reimbursement checks for the false advertising of unobtainable mpg figures. Roll on acceleration is very satisfying making overtaking/passing a breeze. When I purchased last October 2016, Hyundai was offering a 4K incentive discount. My dealer was offering an additional 2,550 discount, making a total discount of 6,550 on a car with a 22,540 MSRP. A 201 horsepower turbocharged sporty car for 16K made for a tremendous value. While not perfect, its a very fun car and a tremendous bargain."

Would not recommend

By on Friday, September 1, 2017

Pros: "Unique body design, nice paint color burnt orange"

Cons: "Electrical, AC, tires, suspension, etc"

"Ive had this car for 2.5 years and would not recommend it to anyone. I purchased the turbo model. Ive had what I call ghost electrical issues where the car wont start sometimes or the stereo wont work. This will just happen out of the blue. The original tires lasted me about 8000 miles before wearing out. Bear in mind that is not from driving crazy either, thats just regular city driving. The air-conditioning is severely under-powered and really does not blow very cool. It was like that when I purchased the vehicle. There is no spare tire. You spend 24K on a car and it doesnt come with a donut? That to me is crazy. The car handles fairly well but potholes or speed bumps or horrendous. The suspension leaves a lot to be desired. I hit 1 small bump and it feels like the car drove over a hole 3 feet deep. The car design is nice but performance wise it just isnt worth the money. Mine is listed @ 205hp and it just doesnt feel like 205hp. Not impressed with the stereo and 400 watt Dimension sound system either. All-in-all, disappointing purchase and wont be buying Hyundai again."

Love the turbo!

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Sporty unique look, fun to drive, large trunk"

Cons: "Needs power seats,no dimmer for display screen"

"Loved the 2012 Veloster so much we bought 2 this year and just traded one in for the turbo. The turbo is worth the extra money! Love the push button start, all the added extras, rear camera has a wide view angle. Ride is a lot smoother than the 2012 version and extremely smooth handling. Thinking about trading in our other 2012 for another turbo!"

I like this car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Owned this car for 2 weeks dont know how people are geting 40 mpg I cant even get 35 out of it on freeway at 72 mph. Also it seems the speedo is off by about 5 mph. other than that I like the car. Oh one more thing it does'nt come with a spare tire or jack and tools if you want those it's 250.00"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals