2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.9

Based on 117 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

Fell in love with my car from the start.

By on Friday, August 26, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive."

Cons: "Front side visibility."

"The first time I saw this car was in an ad. Went to the dealership and checked it out. I got the electrolyte green. I love it. I have received compliments on my car just about every time I take it out; and that is going on 5 years. The paint finish has held up very well; still looks new. The only problem I have really experienced is the visibility which would not be a problem if it had a front camera. This has caused me to hit the wheels a couple of times. Now, I just turn wide. Also, the mileage was less than what was on the sticker; Hyundai has tried to make up for that by monetary reimbursements based on the mileage for the life of the car with the original owner."

The hyundai experience is over

By on Saturday, December 17, 2016

Reason: not happy with car

Pros: "stylish,decent reliabilty"

Cons: "lots of recalls low resale value"

"As an ecco box in a stylish pkg ,it was ok. Never got close to the 40mpg it was touted to deliver even with most of its miles on open highway. The settlement with the owners was a joke. Under powered for its body weight and the local dealership lack of a qualified service dept topped things off. Trade in value was almost $3000 under Hyundais Assurance plan but we choose not to invest in another Hyundai after our 4 year experience. Maint costs were a new set of tires, a new battery,several replacements of headlight bulbs, and synthetic oil changes I did myself after the dealership needed the car all day to change the oil. Also read the fine print on Hyundai's assurance plan that all maint has to be done by them for it to be valid"

Everything I expected!

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Pros: "Fun to drive, good, price, and stylish."

Cons: "It may not be for everyone."

"So I got the Veloster Rspec around August of 2016 and with the few mods I have put on it so far I haven't had any issues. I love the sporty and stylish look, the red interior is a great compliment to the exterior, and I never have a dull moment driving it. It may not be for everyone, but I know I like it!"

Great Fun for a great price

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pros: "Price, Looks Great, Sound System, Tech Gadgets"

Cons: "No express down for passenger,"

"I love this little car. I traded my 2011 Genesis coupe for a 2012 Veloster. Quality issues plagued the Genesis but the Veloster seems to be solid and better built. It is fun to drive and is fully loaded. If you can afford it take both packages, style and tech. You will have everything available including the beautiful wheels that have body colored painted inserts. Although it is not as fast as the Genesis was, it does fine under all driving situations. I chose a manual transmission because with engines this small, it gives me the option of fuel economy or acceleration. 6 speed tranny shifts smooth and reverse has a back up camera the displays on the GPS. The Sound System is great and works seamlessly with an iPod. Just a couple of very small things that I would have liked on this car. It does not have a passenger express up and down window. I would have liked turn signals on the mirror and a LED light for the alarm. If you do not like strangers walking up to you at gas stations, grocery stores, etc, this is not your car. Mine is blue with style and tech packages and I cannot get out or in this car in public places without someone asking me about it. Great Job Hyundai."

Love the turbo!

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Sporty unique look, fun to drive, large trunk"

Cons: "Needs power seats,no dimmer for display screen"

"Loved the 2012 Veloster so much we bought 2 this year and just traded one in for the turbo. The turbo is worth the extra money! Love the push button start, all the added extras, rear camera has a wide view angle. Ride is a lot smoother than the 2012 version and extremely smooth handling. Thinking about trading in our other 2012 for another turbo!"

I like this car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Owned this car for 2 weeks dont know how people are geting 40 mpg I cant even get 35 out of it on freeway at 72 mph. Also it seems the speedo is off by about 5 mph. other than that I like the car. Oh one more thing it does'nt come with a spare tire or jack and tools if you want those it's 250.00"

Great Funky Car for it's Value (Turbo)

By on Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pros: "Great power, very tech oriented, great value"

Cons: "Spotty handling, Electric Steering"

"I own the Turbo with the 6 speed Auto (Conventional Auto not the Dual Clutch model in the NA Veloster). Have driven it all over the eastern U.S. in the 5 months. Overview: The turbo model is quite spritely, and honestly the Auto is better than the manual. I drove both, the manual combined with the ECU oriented drivetrain design introduces painful amounts of turbo lag. But the Auto is great especially in sport mode or using the manual shift function is great and keeps the car always in its ideal power band. I chose this over the Genesis Coupe because it has a ton more useable space, and was cheaper with more standard features, and has pretty good gas mileage for its power. Things I love: The quirky design, its unique and gets lots of questions. The turbo motor makes a pretty nice sound under load, and has very useful torque band for day-to-day driving. The ridiculously good standard features on the turbo model, the sound system is amazing, I love the Pandora app and the streaming bluetooth audio. The hand's-free and voice control works pretty good. Of all the infotainment systems I've seen in cars this is amongst the most user friendly. On smooth roads the car is glued to the road, I take corners at 3 times the speed other people do, not smooth roads (see thoughts below). The blue features are pretty cool (I use the remote start from my phone all the time), the fact I never have to take the key out of my pocket, I can walk up to the car and press the button on the handle to unlock, get in the car and push the push start, its awesome! Things that need improved: Some of the buttons and stalk stuff seem awkwardly placed. The ride can be rougher than it needs to be (Hard ride is not necessary for sporty handling). The electric steering doesn't always seem to know what its doing and seems to get confused when in a hard turn and then having to suddenly slow down. Things I don't like: The rear suspension needs some serious tweaking, everything is great as long as the road is smooth, but if you hit an expansion joint at the right angle in a turn the rear end will step out which is jarring and not confidence inspiring to say the least. The interior is getting pretty rattly especially in the dash, a combination of a stiff suspension and not the greatest chassis contribute to this. The visibility is poor (I knew this buying it), but for such a small car it has some huge blind spots. I am hoping to fix the suspension and add some chassis bracing to make the car near perfect! Bottome Line: I think this is a pretty solid start for Hyundai into the Hot Hatch market. They have made amazing strides in the last few years, I think them and Kia are the Toyota of the 90's in the 201X's. For it's value and standard equipment it's hard to find a comparable model."

Great Little Car for the Price

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Great price for the features, excellent mpg"

Cons: "Sluggish acceleration for 138 hp"

At the Dealership

"This car met all of my expectations, except for acceleration, which is a little sluggish for a 138hp engine, and larger than normal blind spots (fixed with fish-eye mirrors). I use it mostly to commute to and from work in Dallas, and average 31 mpg with A/C on, and 35 mpg with A/C off. What really surprised me was the highway mileage; I drove to Richmond, VA and back, and averaged 38 mpg on the Interstate. The front seats are comfortable, and the two back seats are acceptable if you aren't tall (I'm 5'10, and have no problems). The audio system is very good, and blue-tooth links effortlessly. The nav system is accurate, although loading the address information could be better. The car looks good, and I get a lot of inquiries and positive comments. Overall I have no regrets and thoroughly enjoy driving the Veloster."

At the Dealership

Great CAr!

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

"it's great car!"

Several Repairs Required in 1st Year

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Bluetooth phone connection, GPS, Style"

Cons: "Water leaks, Poor radio reception"

Tail Light Condensation Normal?

"I purchased this car as I liked the concept & value of extras included in my purchase. Although Hyundai is not a make I would have purchased previously, improved reviews convinced me to take a chance. Within the 1st couple months of ownership, I noted condensation in my tail light. I was told I had to bring the car in so they could witness the complaint for themselves as I was told "some condensation is normal". Several photos & a visit to the dealership resulted in them replacing the tail light, finally. After about a month, condensation again. Again I was told "it's normal" & no replacement offered. While washing my car, I noted soap running down the inside of my drivers side rear window (one that doesn't open). Water & soap were running inside & into my rear speakers. Luckily I was near the dealership & brought it to them immediately to witness. Ultimately a leak expert was brought in & it was determined both tail lights needed to be replaced (1 was replaced only a month earlier)& a new window was required due to a broken screw that held the window in place. All this before I've hit 1 year of ownership. Very disappointing."

Tail Light Condensation Normal?

Fun if you use the shifter

By on Friday, March 8, 2013

Pros: "Tech value, space, looks, 10/100000 warranty"

Cons: "acceleration in drive, some shoddy interior parts"

The Bulldog

"First the negatives. The biggest complaint I have about this car is acceleration in drive. A lot of hesitation when you punch it. If you have been looking at this car at all, this is no surprise. Also, you will not get 40 mpg hwy unless you drive it 55 on flat roads all the time. And if you like having fun driving like I do, you won't even come close. I deal with the acceleration problem by using the dual clutch shifters. Once you get the hang of it you have plenty of power and you can rev this car to 5K without seeming to stress it. I would recommend manual shift but I have a wife, so.... that's why I got auto. One other thing, the steering wheel started peeling after about 5000 miles. Hyundai replaced but jeez. I've only put 10K miles on it, but there may be some suspect workmanship here and there. Should all be covered though. The positives: You get a lot of good technology for the money. I am going to let BlueLink lapse because I never use/need it. But my entertainment options are almost unlimited and I love handsfree phone. I love the way the car looks, inside and out. I love how much space it has for the size. The trunk will hold two golf bags and a weeks worth of groceries without a problem. I rarely have to put down the back seats. I have three kids and it's ideal for getting them around especially with the third door (which I also love), and I took 3 adult friends to a football game last fall and we were comfortable for two hours each way. One of them fell asleep in back on the way home. This is my favorite car since my 81 Honda Wagon. Hyundai to me are what Honda used to be."

The Bulldog

Great commuter car!!!

By on Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, great interior, fit and finish."

Cons: "Suspension is a bit harsh, no spare tire."

My Veloster

"I have a 2012 Veloster and, its absolutely amazing. I am averaging about 30 MPGs. I've not had one issues with it. I gets alot of attention from others. Everyone wants to know who makes it? Love the interior design and, the red interior really stands out with the white exterior. I never thought I would buy a Hyundai but, with all the strides this company has made it makes perfect sense. I believe Hyundai is making some really great cars and, this is definitely one of them."

My Veloster

Amazing car for the money

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pros: "Amazing int and ext, great gas and fun to drive"

Cons: "4 seats"

"I was in the market for a hatchback and i was intrigued with the veloster but after reading some reviews saying how the car is slow and sluggish i had to test drive one the car is just fine it drives just like a mazda3, focus or civic its not a v8 600 hp car but its really reasonable especially with the gas mileage it gets. the car is the most comfortable and it has more room in the front and back ( im 6'4 )of the cars i tested, it has the most gadgets for the money it drives really good and its the best looking in my opinion. I just advise people that are thinking about buying the car to actually drive it before discarding it because you will enjoy it, especially with the eco off. ps: that thing about leaking in the back when it rains doesn't happen on mine not sure if it got fixed with the 2013 model or what but its good."

Great fun little car!

By on Friday, July 1, 2016

Reason: lease ended

"I drove the Veloster Turbo for 3 years. It's a good size car if you're the only person driving in it (which was perfect for my needs). You can't fit adults in the back seats unless they are petite adults, and my 6 ft husband was too big to comfortably fit in the passenger seat. The only downside to the car is that I found it hard to get in and out of the car, and it has poor rear visibility. The cargo space is enough to fit groceries, but sometimes I wished it was a bit bigger. I like that it's zippy and fun to drive, and can accelerate quickly when you need to. I like that it has a sporty body style. You can definitely feel all the bumps in the road, I would't call it a smooth ride but it didn't bother me. When I first got the car there was an issue with one of the speakers, but the dealership fixed it for free. I never had any mechanical problems."

Speed, Style, and Value

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Size, Fuel Efficiency, Style, Cargo, Speed, Radio,"

Cons: "Front bumber is a little low, BlueLink is sketchy."

"I bought a 2013 Veloster Turbo Matte Black in November. Nearly every day I tell this car that I love it. It's easy to park, fast, nimble and comfortable and an absolute head-turner. The team at Fairfax Hyundai went above and beyond to make sure I was blissful, and still am. Tech Package- I love my back-up camera, great view, even in the rain. Panoramic sunroof is huge. Cons: The Bluelink is inconsistent and difficult to use (and I'm in the technology field). GPS is not user friendly."

Great Car For The Price

By on Monday, January 7, 2013

Pros: "great value,,looks different,fun to drive"

Cons: "steering has dead spot,lacking power with air on"

"i own the 2012 black pearl v and my wife owns the green v she has automatic,mine is 6speed manual,we both love our cars they are roomy for drivers and front passengers,only drawback is those 18 inch wheels are terrible in the snow,we have got winter tires and wheels for the car it handles totally different since we put them on much better in snow now.if i were to have option to buy again i would"

Won't buy this car again.

By on Friday, February 1, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, sleek, fun to drive."

Cons: "Many problems, especially when it's cold."

"We purchased this car new, the 2013 Veloster with matte grey paint. The car looks awesome, very stylish and sleek. Problems started just one week after purchasing the car. The radio stopped working, and when we brought it to the dealership, they wouldn't fix it because it magically started working for them. After 3 trips to the dealership and a week of a loaner car, they finally said they fixed it. The next day the radio stopped working again, so they decided to replace it. Two weeks to get the radio. Shortly after the radio incident, the back up sensors would beep constantly and not stop. We had this checked again, many times, and it wasn't until the third or fourth time that they finally found a bad sensor which they replaced. A week later, they sensors beep constantly and we are told that we live in Wisconsin and it will beep because of the cold. The worst thing to happen is the cold air that comes in from the bottom of the car. If it drops below freezing, we have to use a blanket to cover our legs because of the cold air coming in from the bottom of the car. Again, they checked it and saw the temperature from the seat down is below freezing even with the heater on high heat. They say there is no fix for this problem so we have to live with it. The did replace the back window because they said it was defective, but that didn't stop the cold air from coming in. Comfort for someone who is above six foot is problem. My head hits the ceiling and I am six foot two inches. The latest is the keyless entry. It doesn't work half the time, you have to hit the lock button to unlock and vice versa. The button on the door to unlock and lock works half the time. Again, the dealership said they can't get it to act up for them, so there's nothing they can do. Basically what I've come up with is that the car just doesn't do well in the cold. The dealership checks the car after it's warmed up inside the garage, so they don't get to see the problems when it's cold. If you live in a cold climate, don't buy this car."

100 percent satisfied

By on Monday, January 6, 2014

Pros: "Image, economy, performance"

Cons: "No power seat or auto climate control"

White Lightning

"Great little car, sporty handling, economical to drive, over 30 mpg on regular gas. Has all the latest electronic toys and the glass top is very attractive. Every where I go, I get compliments on the looks. The third door and hatch makes it very convenient to access the rear space. The only thing left to make this the perfect sporty coupe is to put the 2.0L turbo under the hood."

White Lightning

I really like this car

By on Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pros: "Looks and performance"

Cons: "ride is sportscar like"

"It reminds me of cars like the Triumph TR6.But with more room and options. Handling and performance. Top this off with a great price. This car hits the mark for me."

A Great car.

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Pros: "Great price and fuel economy."

"I purchased a 2016 Voloster, I read many reviews by owners and experts before buying. I found the car to be what I expected, with great fuel economy and a great price. I bought the turbo version, it comes with many standard features, and like one expert said the turbo is smooth, you rally don't feel a sudden leap. I mean you feel the increase in power and it really gets you there fast. I get 26 to 29 mpg in town and 33 to 39 on the highway, with economy selected. The back seats are hard to get in and out of if you are other than a small person, knew that before I bought. And the rear view is limited, Hyundai solved the problem with a blind spot mirror on the drivers side, and I put one on the passenger side. The seats are very comfortable and support you well. The people that have written bad reviews, must not have driven the same car I purchased. If you read owner reviews and do some research, you will find this is a great car for a good price."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pros: "Great looks, fun to drive, very comfortable."

Cons: "None that matter."

"I've been driving for 43 years. I have driven this car for 22 months now and it is the best car I have ever owned. I have the automatic with Style and Tech packages in Ironman Silver. It's a little sluggish in the lower gears (and I still need to get a refresh done at the dealership that improves on that), and the rear suspension makes for a bit of a rough ride if you aren't driving on smooth roads. I have experienced only one minor problem so far. The TPMS light came on even though all tires were inflated correctly. That was corrected and has not happened again since. The Dimension sound system (which has no identifiable speaker manufacturer associated with it) is very good -- music is on most of the time. The dash layout is as good as it can be -- everything is clearly seen and logically laid out. I don't think I spent over $100 the first year on maintenance. Satellite radio came free (though I don't think it was meant to) for the first 13 months. BlueLink might be more useful to someone who travels with their car and I'm not sure I will keep after the 2nd year. Otherwise, I am extremely comfortable in this car, people are still asking me about my car (never happened even once when I drove a Nissan Versa hatchback). I want to keep this car forever!"

Pretty to look at, but overall awful car.

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Good looks, lots of techy toys"

Cons: "noisey, upgraded speakers blow, poor performance"

"The veloster may be one of the best looking cars (especially with the fun colors [Vitamin C]), but it has got to be one of the biggest disappointments on the road. The seats feel comfortable, and everything looks good on the inside. You almost feel like you're getting strapped in to a race car. Well... the cheap composite plastic moldings on the inside make for a squeaky/rattly ride. God help you, should you hit a pot hole. I (quite literally) was noticeably jarred when I hit a pot hole going 50 mph. The car swerved into the other lane. I was lucky nobody was there. It's got to be one of the roughest rides I've ever experienced. And then, there's the upgraded sound system. I have had ALL of the speakers replaced within the first 8 months of owning the vehicle--one of them replaced twice! They keep blowing. This is due to extremely poor quality products Hyundai is using. I do NOT play the music loud at all. The volume level has never been above 12 in my car (and that's not even half way!). The dealership I bought it from denies any "known issues" although there were three velosters in at the same exact time, the last time I took mine in for a speaker replacement. The windshield wiper motor also went out within this 8 month period. And now, the window control for the passenger window seems to have gone out. The trunk unlock button on both key fobs don't seem to work--I only recently thought to try this feature out within the last month. The car is LOADED with fun tech surprises--that was another huge draw for me. But the interior is just incredibly cheap. The carpet and upholstery is just awful looking. Again, I love, love, LOVE the look of the car. I can almost live with the sluggish performance (the gas mileage, after all, is pretty darned good--especially in the Dallas traffic!), but there have been too many "little" things to go wrong with the car in less than a year. What can I really expect to happen when the car is no longer under warranty? I can honestly say that this is my first and LAST hyundai experience. I have no desire to purchase another hyundai again. Even though I'm upside down on my car payment, I'm giving some serious thought to trading it in, just to get rid of it while they're still popular enough to let some other sucker take the bait."

Exactly what i thought it would be

By on Friday, May 25, 2012

Pros: "The style and tech package."

Cons: "I can only afford one."

"I'm amassed at ratings saying its under powered....at 138HP, its more than enough for this gas sipper,I knew this going into the deal...if one wants something more powerful=less MPG..there are plenty of guzzlers to chose from.. with more power. I love the funky stying of this car..great sporty looks without living for the gas tank. No problems with this car for me and as a previous Hyundai owner(multiple)I have confidence in their ability to correct things. My purchase experience was great, I am enjoying this car and have no regrets on my choice. If you want economy with nice sporty looks..this is it..if you like the car but want more power..wait for the Turbo version this summer."

A lot of car for the money

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "sporty ,roomy,solid,and good on gas"

Cons: "lack of lumbar support in front seats"

"Sliver auto with style package. Turn off the eco button and use the paddle shifters.Left on its own accord it is slow to respond.Choose your gears and the car will fly.I pull the hill going out of town at 80mph.My R/T Challenger was good for 90mph in the same spot.MPG has come up as the car breaks in to 39 mpg.I added an air intake to the car the first week i owned it $239. The car has done well in the snow. The front seats lack back support."

Good looking, gas saving, and decently priced

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "Fuel mileage, pricing, style, amenities."

Cons: "Tires are a bit noisy."

"This is complementing my new commute of 70 miles to work and I must say the handling, gas mileage, and drive-ability of this car makes it worth a look at. The 1.4 liter engine is right there when you need it. It corners well, brakes excellently and is not uncomfortable for longer trips. The dash is easily read and the touch screen gives you access to every thing you need to make your drive pleasant. The controls are right at your fingertips and with the dual clutch of the automatic there is no lag when you need to accelerate quickly. In summation if you are looking for a good reliable car for your daily driver and don't want to sit in a box, go look at this car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals