2011 Hyundai Elantra

8.1

Based on 393 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Amazing mid-sized interior for a compact price!!!

By on Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, stylish, handling, features"

Cons: "Daytime running lights only on with parking lights"

"I am shocked at how roomy this car is and even more amazed at how well it rides and handles. While all small cars typically have road noise, the Elantra has far less than my old Corolla and the ride feels much more secure. The list of options on even the GLS model are extensive and impressive. This is my first even Hyundai and so far, I am completely blown away by the overall quality and efficiency of this car."

Great car and a great price

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "a lot for the money for the limited model"

Cons: "less than expected mpg"

"I love this car!Great fun and great price for the fully loaded limited model,never thought I could get a nav screen and back up camera for the price I paid.Less than promised mpg around town,but reached 40mpg traveling to the beach this summer."

Excellent All Around Daily Driver

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Looks, handling, gas mileage, creature features"

Cons: "Road and engine noise"

"I leased my 2011 Elantra after weeks of test drives and research. It has lived up to expectations. Handling is crisp, braking decent, transmission is not as crisp as I would like but it does have a manual shift option, the ride is acceptably smooth, and the reliability has been outstanding. Oh, and the gas mileage is awesome. After 30,000 miles I've done the regular maintenance but other than that it has never been in the shop. It did have a recall for some seatbelt thing but I've never taken it in. The only complaints I have about the car are the road and engine noise getting into the cabin, the trunk hinges being what look like something designed in the 80s (they are inside the truck well, not outside like most all new models), and the paint is easy to scratch. Interior fit and finish is excellent, seats are 8 on a 10 scale for comfort (lots of adjustments you can make), the sound system is very nice, and the heat/a-c are quick to respond. I am seriously considering getting a 2014 Elantra. I've read the cabin is much quieter and they have made other refinements. There are a lot of options out their in this category so we'll see."

Solid purchase

By on Sunday, May 29, 2016

Pros: "Comfortable drive, style, features"

Cons: "Backseat comfort, interior materials are avg."

"I purchased in May of 2015 and have since taken it to 2 road trips and accumulated 6k miles on it. I can honestly say its a solid purchase. Comfortable, full of features, looks amazing. Its fuel economy is "OK", only because it was rated at 27-37 city/hwy mpg, but I calculated 24-26 overall in mostly city/some highway driving. I love the driver selectable steering, the transmission is okay, you can on some occasions feel the transmission shift harshly, but rarely. Having been on those road trips, I've noticed some things. My passengers and I both agree that the back seats are not comfortable on long road trips, they're leather so I'm not sure this could be said about cloth seats. Our butts and backs were very sore at the 2 hour mark, stretching at each rest stop was a must, but the two front seats were Okay for the road trip. The car has a soft touch dash, and I thought that this material should have been distributed on the top part of the door trims and the lower part of the dash (i.e. above the glove box) as these are areas where people will be touching (I would be fine with a hard plastic dash) Perhaps this material belongs there to provide sound insulation? I am unsure. A/c compressor gave out at 10k miles, but per the dealership this does not happen to most Elantras, mines was one in a couple hundred thousand to have that happen. Towing and service were covered under warranty. Many Cali road trips later and this car remains a solid purchase. It's not that fun on the road like my old college car honda fit, but it sure is a lot more comfortable. Its also full of features and has a large interior volume. As I leave the car I always have to take a second look because of its amazing style both front and back. Will keep for the next couple years."

OK car, but has issues!

By on Friday, December 30, 2016

Pros: "Great price, looks good."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage, handling & mechanical issues"

"I bought this car brand new in January of 2013 and had to take it back to the dealer 3 times the first year and several more in the years to follow. 1) a:The first year I had the car, the moldings around the stereo on the center dash console came off, they tried to stick them back on, but it wouldn't hold and had to eventually replace them to fix the problem. b: The next item to break was my drivers side sun visor, the spring in the visor broke hindering the visor completely unusable and flopping in my face, that required the part to be ordered and took a week to get before it could be fixed. c: The next thing to go wrong with my car in the first year was a popping sound every time I shifted the car from park to drive or drive to park. The dealer had to replace the both front axles for whatever reason, but fortunately were able to get this done in 1 day after ordering the parts. d: The next issue with my car in the first year was a horrible vibration coming from the motor when idling in either park or drive, the dealer manager even noticed how bad it was shaking while we were standing there with the technician watching the entire engine shake violently in the engine bay while it was idling in park, they took it into the shop over night and checked everything they could think of, but was never able to find the problem. They cleaned the intake, checked the compression and ignition and scanned the computer for any issues and nothing came up. I've had the car in the shop several times for this very issue and still to this date almost 4 years later, it still shakes and vibrates when idling. The shaking only happens about 3 out of 4 times and people riding in my car notice it when it starts to vibrate and shake, but then goes away for a short time and then miraculously comes back again later on in the day to shake and vibrate again when idling. 2) a: Second year issues... the popping noise came back when shifting from park to drive or from drive to park. Took the car back to the same dealership and they replaced both front axles a second time. Since the second time, that issue thankfully hasn't come back to haunt me, especially since my warranty has expired. b: The next issue to pop up during my second year are the shocks, they started squeaking overtime I drove over a bump in the road or drove over a speed bump in the neighborhood. The dealer would not replace them as they are wear items. Not sure how the shocks would not be covered on a 2 year old car, the shocks squeak so bad now that it sounds like a 10 year old car that's never had its shocks replaced. I know I can get new aftermarket shocks installed that would trump the quality of the factory shocks, but it's still extremely irritating that the factory shocks didn't make it 2 years before going bad. Since that ends the mechanical issues I've had with my car so far, even thought the shocks suck and my engine still vibrates at idle, I have to say that the car just seems very cheaply built. The road noise is HORRIBLE and the ride quality sucks. The car won't take normal road bumps like other cars its size, the rear end jumps all around the road when hitting bumps. Also, when I have 3 others in the car with me no matter if they're kids or adults, when going over a speed bump the car bottoms out, this is another indicator of the poor suspension this car has. My Honda civic can carry 5 adults and not bottom out over the same speed bump in my neighborhood, pathetic. Another issue I've found is the gas mileage is not as good as they claim, I have checked the mileage many times over and I haven't gotten any better than 33 miles per gallon when on the freeway doing long trips, city driving is more like 26 miles per gallon. Even the gas mileage trip indicator is wrong. When I fill up the car, it ways I have an estimated range of 380 miles, but during the first 10 miles it jumps down to 350 miles and quickly goes down from there. I'll loose 50 miles of estimated range in the first 25 miles of driving, how is that even possible? In the end after going through an entire tank of gas, I've gone no more than 265 miles before the car is on empty, so I guess the 380 mile range is just a gimmick to make new car buyers excited, but Hyundai can't actually deliver on that false advertisement that I get reminded of every time I fill up my car. The next BIG issue is the extremely poor performing navigation system this car has, the maps and direction quality is one of the worst I've ever experienced in a car. It takes me around the block to get somewhere when all I should have done is drive straight and turn into my destination... why would it tell me to make a huge circle off of a major roadway when my destination is straight ahead? So I've followed the maps a few times just to see where it takes me and it literally just ran me in a circle off the route to get me to the same place if I had just kept going straight, it does this ALL THE TIME and it doesn't matter what I set the maps setting to (quickest route or not, it doesn't change). Is a matter of fact, I'd say that the maps doesn't even show 3 out of the 10 roads in my town even exist even though there's been a road there for 20 years, I'll often drive on a road that doesn't even register on the maps screen, so it looks like I'm driving in a field where no roads are visible. Why would I risk spending $160 bucks for an upgrade when I've heard that it doesn't fix the problem after reading many different Hyundai forum boards on this very issue? Overall, the car is nice, looks great inside and out, but mechanically it's iffy and the quality of the ride and functionality of everything else sucks. I can guarantee you all this though, this will be my last Hyundai car I'll ever buy, because I'm not really all that impressed and a year into my purchase, I was having a case of buyers remorse with nothing I can do about it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Elantra near Honolulu. See local deals