2001 Hyundai Elantra

8.3

Based on 904 Ratings for the 2001 - 2006 models.

Worst car ever!

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Reason: Horrible car

Pros: "It runs"

Cons: "Constant breakdowns"

"Bought this car with 40,000 miles. Sold it with 47,000 miles. In that time, the following broke: door handle, gas gauge, radiator, radio antenna, key ignition, HVAC actuator, wheel hub and a few other misc parts. Everything made with cheapest plastic components. If you encounter anything on the road stouter than a plastic spoon, something on this car will break."

Reliable

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"166,000 miles with 2 problems the radiator was replaced and the intake gasket both of which I did myself. I should note here that I am no mechanic but I'll try to fix things if they do not look overly complicated and the first thing I noticed tackling both jobs was that compared to other cars I have owned and worked on Hyundai seems to use clamps or interlocking parts which makes repairs much more simple because fewer bolts need to be remvoed when the parts interlock or clamp together. I dont remember any bolt that was in a tight spot or hard to reach, it seems that most parts clamp together and the bolts only secure the seal verses other cars where one flat part is secured to another flat surface with bolts all around to bear the weight and secure the parts together. Other than that oil was changed always between 3 and 4,000 miles and we had one tune up at about 140,000 miles at a real machanics suggestion only to find out the problem was a leak in the intake seal that gave it a rough idle. That's it! It still feels as powerful and tight as the day we drove it off the lot. Another note to this is I do not baby my cars and compared to others I have owned just making it past 70,000 miles with no problems was surprising to me considering my driving habits."

Good Vehicle for the money, and a lucky catch

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "comfortable car, good , reliable transportation"

Cons: "a few minor paint blemishes and power mirror broke"

"I was fortunate to buy a 2006 Hyundai Elantra that only had 55,000k well maintained miles. They showed me the carfax records, the car had been properly maintained every 4000 miles since it was bought new at that dealer. Only 1 owner. The car was like brand new on the outside, no scratches anywhere, no oxidation, a few minor paint blemishes on the front bumper and the headlights had a bit of yellow haze but other than that the car was like brand new. Inside and out very clean. So because it was nearing the 60k mark I decided to take it to the mechanic and dropped $850 on new timing belt, new water pump, flush and refill transmission fluid, and drain and refill with new engine oil synthetic along with new filter. They did the whole kit for the timing belt all new (1) - Timing Belt (1) - Water Pump (1) - Water Pump Gasket (1) - Tensioner (1) - Idler plus they had to drain and refill the radiator, flush and fill the tranny, and do the oil and filter change. Car also had 4 brand new tires on it when I bought it. It's all mine free and clear now and runs great. Driving it gentle and doing all proper maintenance. I should be driving this car for at least another 6 years as a commuter car. Good thing is no more car payments, low insurance, up to date with all my maintenance, I should have reliable dependable transportation and hopefully no mechanical headaches for quite a while."

Great fun car

By on Sunday, May 5, 2013

Pros: "mpg, relability, fun, easy to drive/park"

Cons: "interior is boring, Window switch broke"

"I have owned this car for 5 months, It runs great, allays starts right up, very good on gas, quick when it needs to be, lightweight, so many things you can do to it."

jkolney

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, reliable"

Cons: "hard on tires"

"I purchased this car with 113,000 miles on it and it no has 199,000. I've only had to replace the brakes and a pipe running to the steering fluid pump. Overall it's been very reliable. My one big complaint with this car is how it has run through tires. It seems like every year I'm having to replace the tires, even after an alignment. Overall though it's held up very well."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Elantra near Honolulu. See local deals