1997 Hyundai Elantra

7.8

Based on 169 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Probably the best value for the money

By on Saturday, August 4, 2007

"I bought this vehicle from a private owner for about $500 below the KBB price, and could not be more satisfied. I never had any problems with the drive train or any other component of the car. Regular oil changes made the car run smoothly. The only issue I had at the beginning was that the engine was a bit louder than my last car, but I guess that the GLS model I had was a sportier version. I actually got used to it and learned to quite enjoy it by the spring time. I never thought that I would buy a Hyundai before this purchase, but not I would put it right on the top of my list. It is probably the best value for the money!"

Driving it is a badge of honor

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "Gas Milage and reliability"

Cons: "Handling and comfort"

"I bought mine new 15 years ago. Now over 200K miles. I still have the orginal clutch. The AC has never been serviced and works great. It has the orignal exhaust & radiator. I drive it 60 mile round trip to work daily."

This car is a little work horse

By on Monday, December 17, 2012

Pros: "Handles beautifully, great turning radius,"

Cons: "blower, windows, lights not bright enuf"

"I deliver newspapers on a very large rural route (101 miles per day) 358 days a year. It has sad little kisses here and there, because there is no way to deliver for that many hours in a year without occasionally sliding in weird weather or misjudging where the pavement ends and the deliverbox begins.My point is this car runs and runs and runs. I only have two complaints. I have repaired the regulator on the driver's side window four times and it's beginning to behave badly again. Also, the blower for the heater had died now four times in two and 1/2 years. I'm not going to fix it again because I can't afford it. I can'y fix it myself because the location of the blower means that I would have to stand on my head under the panel on the passenger side. Not happening. But, I love this car. I understand that I am hard on it. But it had been very faithful and reliable, and for what I put it through, it's a pretty good sport."

lemon?

By on Monday, February 28, 2011

"Started off as a good car but had a lot of things go wrong. Currently only has 79,000 miles, but has had to have the head gasket, transmission seal, spark plug wires, and rotors all replaced before 40,000 miles. Luckily it was all covered under warranty but it made me lose my faith in the quality. Also just had to have the CV joints replaced as the boots busted. Others I know have had great luck with these, I think we just had a lemon."

A good, reliable car to buy

By on Saturday, April 18, 2009

"I've had my Elantra for over 5 years now and I still have had no major problems with the engine, just typical maintenance issues. I can always count on it for long road trips or just starting and getting me to work in the morning. All I've had to do with it is get new tires, patch up a hole in the muffler and new brakes. It's still getting 35mpg, is small and fits into tiny spaces, and also always impresses my friends with its turning radius. The only thing I don't like about my car is that one of the window motors is broken and it looks like 2 others are heading in that direction. I definitely recommend this vehicle to someone who is looking for an affordable, reliable car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Elantra near Honolulu. See local deals