2005 Hyundai Accent

7.9

Based on 414 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

7.6/10

Great on gas and super reliable

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "Gas saver, reliability, price"

Cons: "A little cramped, lack of power"

"I purchased this car new and have averaged 35000 miles a year on it. I regularly drove it from ri to ct and have driven it through two blizzards and have never gotten stuck. The mpg is the best feature of this car and it's reliability is a close second. Aside from brake pads, battery, tires, and a light bulb I have put no money into this car. I do agree with other reviewers that the interior is kinda tight and the window cranks and cup holders are cheaply made and are prone to breaking. I feel that there are small inconveniences that come with owning this car but the pros out weigh the cons by far. I would recommend this car for someone who is willing to sacrifice power and a tiny bit of comfort for the reliability and cost effectiveness this car has to offer."

Reliable, economical, fun to drive

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Economical, fun to drive, reliable"

"I bought this with 41000 miles on it in 2002. After 11 years, the engine is still strong. There has been some maintenance done, but its been a lot better than the Nissan Sentra I had before this one. It is zippy, fun to drive, and fuel economy is excellent. Very reliable and dependable. Its not a luxury car, but it has arm rests and a fully adjustable drivers seat which for me, is more important than leather and chrome trim."

very good, reliable, economic, fun car

By on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pros: "yes"

Cons: "none hiding in trunk"

"have owned mine used for almost 2 yrs, no probs, just change oil every 5k, fill tank 2x/mo, wash and wax, fun to drive, great stereo, confortable, nuff said..."

This car has great pick up, and I get from25-30mpg

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "great price, reliable, great gas mpg's, easy to dr"

Cons: "cup holders are in the wrong place, 10gal. gas tan"

"My accent is a very good car for gas milage, reliability, and speed. Also very compfortable to ride in. Not a lot of back seat room if your tall. I do not have a lot of bells and whistles but my car gets me where I want to go. It is a great car for the cost to value"

little car with alot of reliability

By on Saturday, August 1, 2009

"I bought this car new off the lot a year late,but it is very reliable and cost effective. No bells or whistles just the basic roll down windows, radio fm/am,cassette player, air conditioning what else do you really need to go back and fort to work and local driving. Fun to drive and easy to park. I love my Hyundai."

8 Years and counting

By on Saturday, May 31, 2008

"I got my car as a high school graduation present in 2000. I lived close to work until recently so I only have about 80k miles. I've had two major accidents and this car is still running!! The body is holding up impressively well for an * year old Hyundai. I have auto-trans, clock, and a/c only so I dont have any electrical issues at all. I take my car to the same dealership for all repairs and work-so if they ever cite "shoddy mechanics" as a reason to devalue my car at trade-in, they can look in the mirror. The tires are real cheap to replace. The only gripe I have is that the steeringwheel cannot be adjusted up or down. When the A/C is on, you lose horsepower, which is bad when you live in Texas! I've had to spend a little over $2000 over the years in maintenance, but this car only left me stranded once-when I ran out of GAS!! Every time I want to get a bigger car, I realize that NONE are better. So i'll keep it till the wheels fall off. Then get another. And full coverage is less than $60 for insurance."

Still Alive.

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"I dont know why so many people have had so much problems with this model, but I bought mine Brand new in 2001 off the lot with 27 miles on it, today its got over 134k on it and hasnt seen a major service since 2004 rought 70k ago. The awesome thing is it still runs Great. I just filler her up with 85 Octaine Fuel and change her oil about 3k Miles, and I've had no problems except I had to replace the Front right CV Joint and tie rods 2 months after I bought it, but that was my own fault for hitting a rock on the road during a turn. Other then that have not had any problems. perhaps mine was assembled in a better plant lol P.S. on that cheap gas I still manage 34-42MPG and only fill up weekly depending on travel distance."

Basic transportation

By on Monday, March 3, 2008

"I bought my 2002 new for $8900. No clock, AC or power anything. I now have 86,000 miles. I had trouble with the rear drum after 10,000 miles but they replaced them and the pads under warr. (no problems since). The passenger door lock tumbler went bad after 15 or 20,000 and was replaced under warr. (no problems since). I did have to put new tires on it after about 30,000 miles but I think they were pretty cheap tires to begin with. I upgraded to some real nice ones and drove them for about 50,000 miles and i just put new ones on. Just recently at 85,000 miles I had to put front pads and rotors, timing chain, sway bar bushings, and a rear strut. I also did the standard 80,000 maint. plan which replaced plugs,wires and other things. All told, I 'd say about $1500-$1700 in repair and upkeep on this $9000 car over the past 6 years. I'm pretty happy with it, as there is no rust, and starts every morning. Although the speedo cable makes a horrible noise when it's cold and the clutch is real stiff when temps are around 5 degrees. Keep an eye on the oil level after 3000 miles and things should be fine. 35-37 mpg when driving at about 50mph on the back roads of maine."

It SAVES.... (LIVES)

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"Was just in an accident in this car. A car ran a red light and we impacted in a t-bone, what they would call a frontal-offset crash at ~45mph. Airbags deployed, seatbelts worked, and front of car crumpled like a soda can. Passenger cabin was unharmed and we walked away with minor injuries. The engine was heavily damaged, frame bent, wheels jammed in wheel wells, etc... you get the picture. We walked away! The car is totaled but we are not. Thank you Hyundai."

Bought new, has done everything asked of it.

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

Pros: "great milage, manuverable, reliable"

Cons: "paint is not as good as it could be"

"Has 113k on it and has only had a transmission coolant senor go bad. We use it for everything from hauling rock to camping. It has been over Bear Tooth pass and to the coast twice. It has had the flex pipe fail twice and the front brakes changed at 108k. A bit of rust is starting over the rear wheel. It is great to drive and I abused it pretty bad for the first 5 years. Highly recommended."

Best Value

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"First, the warranty makes this car more valuable than most in the market. Second, I have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER had a failure that was not covrered under warranty and the failure that did occur was minimal."

I love my great car

By on Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pros: "It's a great car at a reasonable price."

Cons: "Paint job scratches easily, maybe just badluck ."

"This is a fantastic car for the price. Maybe not the best car for those who stay on the go and frequent long distances. Don't get me wrong, this car can handle anything, even, excess snow from where I used to live. I mainly drive in the city and the car handles like a champ. I've noticed a slight sluggish feel on the highway at times, but overall it still handles quite well. I highly recommend this car and I love it. By the way, this is actually my third Hyundai, so I'm definitely satisfied."

Best Car Ever

By on Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pros: "Durable, reliable, decent gas"

Cons: "Ugly, slow, loud interior"

"Have owned this (brand new) since Halloween of 2002. Other than typical maintenance (oil, air, brakes), I had to get the transmission and motor mounts replaced at 125k. This thing is unbelievably durable, and highly reccomended."

Just change the oil and air filter

By on Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pros: "reliability"

"See above and you are good to go. Would change struts at this mileage but cannot afford it."

Awesome little car.

By on Thursday, May 27, 2010

"This little car is fun to drive and pretty peppy for such an underpowered 1.6l I4, I have owned my Accent GT since 2003 and have only had to replace the driver side window motor and currently the driver side door handle (when the dealership broke it....) but other than that I have had no reliability issues thus far. I have gathered that with this car (and any car) as long as you keep up with general maintenance the accent should last you well over 10 years. Pros: pretty comfortable reliable a sporty little car Cons: pretty underpowered does around 27 to the gallon city due to drive train inefficiency but does about 32 on the highway. brakes are too small, even for a small car but have great durability. Overall I love the accent, this is usually where people would say "a good first car" but i am going to set the record straight and say it's a good all around car period."

Peppy little car

By on Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"I bought this car with a broken timing belt and bent exhaust valves. The car has 226,000 miles on it. I replaced the exhaust valves, timing belt & idler pulley. Gaskets too. This car has all the power it needs. It's the base model, but even being the base model, it is quite comfortable. I would recommend it to anyone."

great little car

By on Thursday, November 19, 2009

"Bought used 2003 in 2005 w/ 30,000 miles. 5 speed manual. The car has no bells or whistles, but with only oil and tires car has 115,000 miles now with no signs of slowing down, which is good because the car has no trade in value anymore. If you are looking for good reliable transportation with around 38 mpgs this car has done it for me."

good value

By on Thursday, July 30, 2009

"My husband bought this car used about 5 years ago. He uses it weekly on a paper route. He has enjoyed it immensely. He has put nearly 100,000 miles on it. It is very cost efficient and the gas mileage is unbeatable. It makes it around in Michigan winter weather just fine. He decided to get a different car and guess what? Yesterday he bought another used Hyundai Accent. He just purchased a 2007 Accent with 50,000 miles and is looking forward to many years of driving pleasure. He says.... Accents rock !!!!"

So far pretty good

By on Monday, June 23, 2008

"Bought the car new in Feb 04 and I just had the "required" timing belt changed at 58000 miles. While doing the work the dealer either stripped or found stripped components related to the oil pump. To correct the problem the dealer installed a new oil pump which was covered under the 5 yr/60000 mi warranty. When they put it back together and repeatedly started and restarted the engine for evaluation the starter did not always crank reliably so they replaced the starter per 5/60000 warranty as well. I guess I would have been pretty upset with Hyundai if I would have had to pay for those two items at such low mileage but since it was covered I am cool but a little concerned about other components that may be about to go. I regularly wax the car and it looks great. A final note. The brakes need careful maintenance such as regular caliper service. I am already on my third set of front brake pads."

Very dependable car

By on Monday, May 12, 2008

"I have one of these cars and it gets extremely good mileage (35 mpg) and has never had any maintenance problems at all."

Great Commuter

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"I am about to turn 188,000 on my 2001 Accent L Cpe. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned in 40 years and it was car no. 29 in my list of automotive purchases. I bought it new for $9000 as a 120 mile a day commuter in and out of Chicago daily. It still returns 36mpg and at this mileage does not use any oil. It's not pretty, not the most comfortable to ride in, BUT the Accent may be the best transportation buy in America period. If someone wants luxury, etc. don't beat up on it, spend more money and get what you really want. As a transportation device these cars are unrivaled."

Nice

By on Sunday, December 16, 2007

"Yes this car is underpowered Maybe for a 17 yr old but for a family NOOOO. Im 17 i have this car throwed a exhuast and a air intake its a 5spd has 85,000 on it and i think its like awsome ive driven it hard and never had a problem. My friend drives his cars as hard as i do and hes went through 2 motors in his pontiac grand am yet ive had my car for 2 years and all ive done is replace a valve gasket which was like 25 dollars.These cars are very reliable and effective in doing what they do and they dont mind to rev up either. If u want a long lasting car this is for u. Although the automatics are horrible it hink theres something wrong with the auto tranny and stuff but the 5 spd is as good as a JZ GTE supra motor."

most reliable car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"this has truly been the most dependable car I have ever owned.great on gas,the way gas prices have been going up I am so happy I bought this brand new in 2000 instead of a suv.very compact and easy to park.just love it."

Great little basic driver around town and trips

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Great price ,easy to park , great on gas"

Cons: "Basic inter. no big screen tv to watch"

"If you have a mindset the good car have to have leather seats and of the gizmos that make the car drive it self for you. then forget it. this car is not for you . But if you want one heck of a good little car for a little money and don't mind rolling up our own windows locking your own doors and shifting your own gears then you can't get any better great in snow fun to drive in summer in up state N.Y. I driven this all over ."

It's a Great Little Car

By on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pros: "Great Bang for the Buck, Gas Mileage, Reliable"

Cons: "Cup Holder turns off radio"

My 2002 Hyundai Today June 23, 2012-(Hasn't been washed in months)

"I bought my Hyundai in 2002 new. It doesn't have a lot of bells"

My 2002 Hyundai Today June 23, 2012-(Hasn't been washed in months)