2016 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $30,480 - $32,030.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Valid for ZIP code 96801 through 04/27/2017

10/9.6

7.4

Based on 41 Ratings for the 2016 - 2017 models.

7.6/10
    7.2/10

Overall good vehicle, but some annoying items

By on Monday, February 13, 2017

Pros: "Cargo space, MPG, Connectivity"

Cons: "No blind spot, EX-L can only select one pkg"

"Overall, I am happy with the Honda Pilot, and would recommend. However, because of some of the items noted below, I am not able to give a rating higher than 3 stars. I really wanted to purchase the EX-L trim with V6. But ending up purchasing the Touring trim. With respect to the EX-L trim. Why is Honda forcing the consumer to select between one of: Honda Sense, navigation, or rear entertainment? These three options can not be combined on the EX-L. A Honda salesman tried to convince me that built-in navigation is no longer necessary with addition of Andriod Auto and Apple CarPlay. If you have ever traveled to rural areas without cellphone data coverage, youll understand the need for built-in navigation. The Honda Lane Watch. If this is such a great feature, why doesnt the Elite have two cameras (both driver and passenger sides)? Instead, the Elite adds real Blind Spot detection feature. I would much rather have the blind spot detection with large illuminated icon on the side mirrors, instead of the Honda Lane Watch. If the majority of your turns are in the right lane, you will quickly understand the annoyance (dont need to see grass or sidewalk). An illuminated icon on the side mirror is quick for the driver to process. Whereas, the Honda Lane Watch requires the driver to remove their eyes from the road, and look at the in dash monitor to determine if there is a car in the lane. The main point of safety features is to help the driver focus on the road. Which Honda Lane Watch doesnt, because you have to watch live video feed and make decision. The Touring and Elite has Engine Stop feature. The Honda Pilot isnt a hybrid like Toyota Prius, so not sure why Honda engineers felt this feature was necessary. Really annoying in stop-and-go city traffic. When you come to a complete stop, the engine shuts down. There is capability to disable Engine Stop, but must be disabled each time you start the car. In 2017, a lot of manufactures offer the motion activated rear lift gate. This should be included at the Touring and Elite trims. If you dont care about connectivity (Andriod Auto or Apple CarPlay), go with model year 2016. It is the exact same as 2017, without connectivity. I can confirm what has been said in other reviews: the active safety features are overly sensitive, and shifting is rough at low speeds."

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

By on Sunday, December 20, 2015

Pros: "Ample space, nice design, good handling"

Cons: "Terrible Infotainment system, gas mileage"

"I purchased my 2016 Honda Pilot Elite in late October 2015 for $50,000+ out the door. The Good: I was very impress with the redesign and all the safety features that were standard on the Elite trim. I was also impressed with the test drive and how the vehicle handled on the road. Having owned a 2012 Acura TSX which has a "state of the art" user interface (voice command) to the Infotainment electronics stack (navigation, phone, audio, RES), I assumed the "Elite" would be as good or better than a four-year-old Acura TSX. This is where we come to the "bad" and "ugly" part of my review. After 6 weeks of driving my new Pilot Elite, I have come to realize there is absolutely nothing "Elite" about the Infotainment electronics stack. It is absolutely, in my opinion, one of the worst designs I have yet to encounter in a vehicle. To begin with, the touch screen is very slow to respond. I spend an inordinate amount of time looking and touching the screen while driving, when the same functions could be accomplished through "voice commands" or using a steering wheel or middle console input device. Every time I use the voice command button on the steering wheel, it takes me to a redundant screen of options for nav, phone, audio, help, etc., as opposed to just letting me give a voice command for "Call Home", "Navigation" or "FM Radio". While driving, I can only access 3 speed dial listings or call history listings. I cannot give a voice command for "next screen" or "call history". Again, I must touch the screen and take my eyes off the road. The touch must be used for the majority of input to the system which I am finding very distracting while driving and is becoming a safety hazard as I try to input to the system. All this screen touching poses another problem which is fingerprint glare on the screen. Living in Florida with abundant sunlight, I must constantly wipe the fingerprints off the screen in order to see the screen info under the fingerprint glare. Very frustrating! While driving I called Honda Tech Support through the touch screen and got their voice automation system. The system asked me to select one for Honda or two for Acura. Guess what, the number tone selection on the touch screen was "blacked out" since I was driving. The system let me make several touch inputs to make a call, but I could not select a number input for voice automation??? The worst system I have encountered is the RES (rear entertainment system) touch screen. It is absolutely worthless! While driving, if my 6-year-old daughter asks for me to put in a DVD, it is impossible for me to get it started without pulling off the road, getting in the back seat and using the back seat controls for the RES. The touch screen does not display any DVD menu information that would allow me to select, language, chapter or play movie. I have challenged several dealership sales reps to start a DVD from the driver’s seat and none have been successful in starting a DVD without getting in the back seat. The only thing the touch screen can do it "pause" a movie once it is playing. In my opinion, the safety on the Honda Pilot Elite is severely compromised by the amount of time one spends looking at the screen and doing inputs in order to initiate functions in the vehicle. A robust "voice command" system would accomplish the same thing without taking your eyes of the road or needing to pull off the road to accomplish simple tasks. Had I known how rudimentary, deficient and totally frustrating the Infotainment system is, I would not have purchased this vehicle. The Honda Pilot "Elite" is definitely not "Elite" when it comes to the Infotainment user interface to the electronics stack!"

Very Comfortable All Day Driver, but with flaws

By on Monday, December 26, 2016

Pros: "Comfortable quiet ride"

Cons: "won't start in extreme cold"

"I've bought many Hondas since 1984, mostly Accords and Odysseys, all with bullet-proof reliability, comfort and handling. I decided to treat myself to a new, 2016 Pilot Touring AWD, now that the kids are grown. This is the most comfortable and quiet Honda I've ever owned. That's all the good I can say. The rest is either fair to poor. Handling on curves is somewhat cumbersome. The 9-speed transmission is slow to react to driver demands. If you approach a car on a curve on a 2-lane road, the car senses and flashes an imminent collision. The hood of the car flutters like a flag on a windy day when at highway speeds. The automatic cruise control is good at slowing down and braking when a car jumps in front of you, but recovery to set speed is very slow. The Infotainment system is too complicated to operate and voice commands are recognized only about 50% of the time. The Garmin navigation is excellent though. Last, but not least, reliability is poor in extreme cold. Getting out of work the evening of 12/18/16, the outside air temperature was -15 degrees. My brand-new Pilot stranded me by refusing to start. The engine didn't turn over at all. The next day I called the dealer, he said it was most likely a bad battery and would be replaced. On 12/20/16, I went to go get my Pilot with jumper cables in hand. It was + 25 degrees outside. I decided to try to start it one more time before using jumper cables, and it started immediately. The battery was later tested at the dealer, and the dealer said the battery was fine, with no other explanation of why my new Pilot didn't start at -15 degrees, while every other one of my coworker’s vehicles started with no issues. So sad, no more Hondas for me."

Okay, I guess

By on Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Pros: "Most everything"

Cons: "Infotainment system / Overpowered steering"

"I have owned MANY Honda vehicles and this is easily the most expensive by far. I seems to do the things it was intended to do fairly well (like haul around several people and lots of stuff). I haven't owned it long enough to tell you all the things I like about it but I have driven it enough to tell you all the things I don't. First off. OMG, is the infotainment system terrible!!!! You need a degree in computer technology from M.I.T. just to adjust the volume. It is completely unnecessarily complex. This seems dangerous to me. You have to take your eyes off the road for so long to make the simplest adjustment I could easily imagine running off the road just because you wanted to select a different radio station. Also, it is slow in response time. I have pressed the touch screen multiple times waiting for something to happen and then you don't know if you missed the button or pressed it too many times. I HATE this system. It is the worst. Honestly, I considered returning the car merely on the amount of frustration I experienced with the electronics. Second complaint, the steering is lacking in tactile feedback. You might as well be spinning a wheel on a sailing ship. It is slow and mushy and feels awful. I suspect the electronic power assist is overpowered and removes all the feeling from turning the wheel. Again, another source of unnecessary danger."

Quiet with a Great Ride; Technology not that great

By on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Pros: "Smooth and very quiet ride, roomy, dependability ?"

Cons: "Option choices; mileage; technology is lacking"

"This is our eleventh new Honda since 1998. The ride is great and one of the quietest riding vehicles I've owned. The V-6 has plenty of power, but the 9 speed automatic doesn't work as good as it should; it seems to hesitate in first and second gear, and really doesn't seem to have much "get up and go" until third gear. I haven't been on a long trip yet, but I don't think the gas mileage will be what is advertised; the trip computer indicates about 2-3 MPG above actual MPG. My last two Honda's fell short of the advertised MPG also. The "connectivity" is lacking. I've had at least a half dozen autos (Lexus, BMW, Chevrolet, and Hyundai), with Bluetooth and voice command capability, and this one is the most difficult to use; normal commands are sometimes not recognized. Voice commands for all of the others are fairly similar, but Honda's seem to be different. Also, steering wheel controls are on opposite sides from most autos. I really wanted the Elite model for the second row captain chairs, heated AND cooled front seats, rain sensing wipers, auto high beam, etc., but didn't want all wheel drive, so I opted for the Touring model instead. I could care less about the entertainment package, but again had no choice there. Honda could probably sell more Pilots, if they were a little more flexible with option choices. I like the "adaptive cruise control", but the greatest feature on this vehicle is the "lane keep assist". I think this car would drive itself, but unless you grip the steering wheel, the feature turns off and you get a warning to re-grip the steering wheel. Also, if you enter an area where the right or left road striping (intersection) is gone, the steering wheel pulls a little to the right/left, as if it were hunting the right/left stipe. I like the "Lane Watch", but think it would be equally important for it to be on the left mirror as well as the right mirror. The three stage backup camera is great for parking in tight places. Hopefully, Honda will upgrade some of their tech features for their next years model, and will make more allowances for option availability."