2012 Honda Odyssey

Based on 127 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

very good- but still room for improvement

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

Pros: "ride, looks, navigation, MPG"

Cons: "lack of 3rd row speakers, middle seat, and 6 speed"

"my 3rd odyssey. bought the 2012 touring. best van on the market and its not even close love the looks, navigation system is awesome. If i were to purhase over again- i would buy the EXL with Navigation, add an after market DVD. For nearly 4 grand in price difference, the touring doesn't give you a ton of necessary features over the EXL. I really am disappointed in the 6 speed, My 06 Odyssey with the 5 speed, is smoother and more powerful than the 2012. The 6 speed seems to really be geared for fuel economy and just isn't as smooth as the 5 speed. Other gripe and heads up- the touring has 10 speakers- none in the back!!!!! $40,000 and I have to spend $400 to put in 2 3rd row speakers- give me a break honda. If you want factory installed 3rd row speakers, you have to purchase the touring elite. The 2nd row on the 06 is better than the 2nd row on the 12. Why? You could store the middle seat on the 06 and the captains chairs had inside arm rests. On the 2012, if you remove the middle seat, their are no inside arm rests (i know this sounds picky, but we did they change a good thing). Do I recommend the car- you bet. My advise- get the EXL with Navigation. On the $3500 you save, get an aftermarket overhead DVD player and have the car shop install 3rd row speakers while they are at it. You just need to order speaker covers for the 3rd row, just google it and they cost like 30 bucks each. The 2 position memory storage on the touring doesn't work well anyway. So for the touring, you are spending 3500-40000 more for fancier wheels, 1 MPG better fuel effieciency, blinkers on the side mirrors, and fog lights."

Wish there were 6 stars

By on Friday, March 18, 2011

"I have owned Toyota, Dodge and Ford mini vans in the past. None of them compare to the Odyssey in terms of quality and comfort. Mine is the Touring model and if I were to complain about it, it would be the overwhelming number of switches, dials, button and menus. There must be 80 of them, not counting the nested menus on the display. If I were not a previous owner of Honda products, I’m not sure I would comprehend how all these controls work. There are a couple of misleading statements in the KBB review of the Odyssey. There is a back up camera in the Touring model, not just the Touring Elite. I have compared item by item a nearly identically equipped Touring Elite and Sienna Limited.. the Toyota is actually more expensive. For those that are interested, the difference between the Touring and Touring Elite comes down to 3 items: The Elite has HID headlights (with self leveling); a 12 speaker surround sound system with a slightly higher output radio (vs. a 7 speaker in the Touring) and the blind spot information system. I have compared and driven both the Toyota Sienna and the Odyssey and both are fine vehicles. I did have two gripes with the Toyota, the confusing packaging of options (vs. the Honda more simplified by model standard equipment), and the interior of the Toyota seemed a little “cheesey” compare to the Honda. In my opinion, the 2010 Sienna had a better quality interior than the 2011 models. One other point if you had a touch screen nav system like my Ford products or the older Honda models, I think you will miss the simplicity of them. I guess I will have to learn to use the toggle switches and voice commands. All-in-all though, if I could, I’d rate the Honda 6 stars for it’s a very solid construction, quite stately ride and top quality materials. It should meet the needs of anyone that requires a mini-van."

Previous one was better.

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Space, comfort, speed."

Cons: "read the review"

"First of all I'd like to say that this is my third Odyssey. I don't know why did they have to change so many good things into bad things, but here it is. 1)Weak AC, it works "OK" with only refurbished air after 100's 2)Rear seats do not fold flat, used to be flat but not anymore (well it's almost flat). I liked the old folding system better, it seems a little less confusing for someone who never used a car. 3)Older body had more head room at front seats than this new one. If you like to sit high (plus you are tall), you'll be breathing into the ceiling. 4)No arm rests at second row seat (maybe it's the trim, I have EX, but I think the previous one even had it on LX, but I might be wrong) 5)Bluetooth needs work, mic quality is somewhat adequate, but nothing good. Phone book sometimes freezes. 6)In between front seats change/bottles/other things compartment used to be easily fordable, now it's just a huge box. 7)Interior quality appears to be worse than in previous model. 8)Climate control is confusing. Other than that it's a great vat which drives like a car."

Great vehicle for travel and all around use.

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "Comfort, ride, handling, interior, and reliability"

Cons: "A few more ponies, and underseat storage."

"I purchased the 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring in silver, on July 1st, and now have about 6,500 miles on it, which includes several trips to upstate NY and Pennsylvania. Rave reviews from passengers regarding the comfort and ride. One described it as better than a limousine, and she was sitting in the third row. Leather seats are great, and the driver's seat is very supportive. Handling is superb. I have previously owned a Toyota Sienna and a new Toyota Highlander with fabric seats, and found the seats to be very uncomfortable on long drives. Odyssey blows them away. If I had a wish list of improvements for this vehicle I would want: 1. 20 - 30 more horsepower and 2. a underseat passenger side storage tray. Vehicle is pricey, but you get what you pay for. I usually trade for a new vehicle every 3 years, but I would hold onto the Odyssey or buy a new one....it's that good. And the Honda reliability is a big factor also. Looked at a Chrysler T and C, but did not like the fact that they STILL have brake rotor warpage issues, for like 20 years! What's that about? And the interior had some cheap looking parts."

Not a smooth ride

By on Thursday, August 25, 2016

Pros: "Nice features, plenty of room"

Cons: "bouncy, vibrating ride"

"I recently traded in a Toyota Sienna for a 2016 Honda Odyssey. We were looking for a change and since Toyota's body style hadn't changed in several years, we decided to give the Honda a try (not much else to choose from in the minivan line). Not a very good decision on our part. While we like the styling and creature comforts of the Odyssey, I have come to realize that the ride is not nearly as smooth as the Sienna. In fact, ours has a feeling of unbalanced tires, somewhat bouncy and with a fine vibration. In the month that I've owned it, I have taken it in to the dealership 3 times and am now currently awaiting for a Honda rep to come and check it out. Service rep says they changed all tires and rims, then next time they did a "road force balance" on all tires, still no change. Service rep has test driven (with me in car) on 2 occasions and when I point out the vibration, he acts like he doesn't feel a thing. If you're thinking about purchasing one of these, really check out the ride (I should have taken a longer test drive). Oh well, if the Honda rep doesn't do something to rectify this problem, this will be the shortest owned vehicle we ever had. Which also means they will have lost another sale because next year, I was going to trade my Nissan Frontier on a new Ridgeline."

It has good history, my results confirm

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "It has good history, my results confirm"

Cons: "Not much"

"Research said the Honda was the minivan to get so I did. I considered the Toyota but with recent recalls across their line I never even test drove one. Simply got a good price (29500 EX) and that was it. There was a unsettling clop sound like a horse shoe in a parade from the suspension that proved to be from 40psi tires. I reduced to spec 33 and no more clop. Sound is now as one would expect from a car over bumps. We regularly get 30 mpg plus or minus 1/2 in extended cruise mode and 23 mixed with about 18 city. The only real complaint I have at this point is it took several window frostings to discover the defrost button. It has good history, carries 8 people, looks nice, tows and gets 30mpg. Enough said"

Quality...Price..Reliability

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "Ride, mpg, value, reliability"

"This van was rated for 28 mpg, so far we are getting 29 mpg straight from the showroom. Very smooth drive plus all of the options you could ever need plus more."

Best Minivan

By on Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pros: "Size, room for 8 and gas milage"

Cons: "cost but can get over it."

"I have owned two Nissan Quests and they do not come close in matching up."

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned!

By on Friday, September 23, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable and roomy"

Cons: "Wish it got better gas mileage"

"We've driven almost 9,000 miles since we got the care in mid May. The car has been the best vehicle we have owned. There have been no problems with it. The Bluetooth has not been very clear, but I'm not sure I would really use it that much in a family minivan. It is roomy and very comfortable. My only wish it got better gas mileage."

A truly fine vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "too many to list!"

Cons: "road noise"

"I love it. My only complaint is that the van lets in too much road noise. Everything else is as good or better than any vehicle I have ever owned... and I have had 19 over the last 45 years."

Still a Honda?

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

"This is the second Odyssey and fifth Honda overall I have owned. While the styling has improved over the previous model, I'm not sure too much else has. We bought the Touring model a year ago and it just hasn't been as pleasing as previous Hondas. The interior fit and finish seems cheaper. The quality of materials has undoubtedly dropped. Creaking and popping over bumps and turns has already started. Also a strange sound coming from the steering when turning at slow speeds. Furthermore, the center dash displays and controls are just a mess. All this being said, I'm not sure there is a better minivan out there. Despite the shortcomings we will likely stick with the Honda."

Generally good, but RES is weak! EX- L RES

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "Space, sliding doors, quite, safety"

Cons: "RES!!"

"The price was right for an Odyssey due to low APR and dealer incentives. Like just about everything except the rear entertainment system. Passengers in the second two rows can barely hear the music and DVDs. Took it back to dealer and they said it was "working properly", called Honda and they said people in second two rows should wear earphones. Very unhappy about this. I wanted RES to entertain my kids with DVDs and music; but they cannot enjoy it. Would be better off getting a lesser model and let them watch their iPad. Not sure if Touring and Touring Elite have this same design defect."

2012, lives up to the honda name in all Areas .

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Have had the Odessy for one month. My wife has wanted one for years. Traded my 2008 Pilot for it. Thought I would be unhappy. I like the Odessey much better. It has more room and the ride is much better. It has more power and it is more fun to drive. My Pilot was the XLT with all the features you could ask for. The Odessey has it beat. I dont know about the gas Mileage, have not had lone enough. Around town and on small trips its around 22 mpg. Make sure you read the book. You will find out all kind of things about what the car can do."

great quality

By on Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cons: "EASIER ACCESS TO 3RD ROW SEAT"

"I JUST TRADED IN MY TOYOTA SUV OWND 2IN LAST 8 YRS..WAS A HONDA OWNER PRIOR,NOW I HAVE MY EXL ODDESEY CANT REMEMBER WHY I EVER TRADED OVER AS THE QUALITY,QUITE RIDE AND COMFORT OF THE HONDA IS SUPERIOR TO TOYOTA..NO KIDDING. MY PARENTS LOANED IT TO GO TO LAS VEGAS AND HATE TO RETURN IT TO ME.INTERIOR IS NOTHING BUT QUALITY..I CAN SAY WITHOUT GUILT YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU BOUGHT IT..NEVER THOUGHT ID BUY A VAN...CHANGED MY MIND WITH THIS ONE"

Better than before.

By on Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pros: "MPG, ride comfort are much better than before. Very quiet van."

Cons: "Loss of in floor storage for middle seat."

"Yes, it's pricy and loaded with features. A lot of room in the vehicle. Mileage and driving experience is much better than 2007 model it replaced. MPG was deciding factor on Van vs SUV. Do miss being able to store the 2nd row middle seat in the floor. Rarely use that middle seat anyway. Now have to find room in the garage to store it. That was a take away. Otherwise kids enjoy the entertainment system and the addition of the power outlets."

Great but overpriced

By on Thursday, October 28, 2010

"We went to buy a slightly used Odyssey, but ended up leasing a new 2011. It's the usual for Honda, virtually no engine sound, comfortable, rides great! Unfortunately, the Honda salespersons are so over confident that their vehicles are far superior to anything on the market, it almost felt like they were a tad concieted! We got the van one step above the basic model (they actually corrected us when we said "basic" model and said it is called the EX!) so... no bells or whistles, does not have extra storage compartment away in floor like town and country but you cannot compare reliability. Would I buy this again?, yeah, probably at the end of the year or slightly used, a $35,000 sticker price for a HONDA does make you gasp!"

Front rotors warped three times in 46,000 miles

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

"Front rotors warped at about 20,000, Dealer resurfaced rotors. Warped again and dealer replaced rotors around 36,000. Now warping again at 46,000. It is in the shop now. No resolution yet. Dealer has been very good (with pushing) but rotors are definitely low quality."

Best Minivan

By on Monday, October 29, 2012

I want this car

"I can honestly say, Minivans are the speed demons on every American freeway! Now I know why. They are fast when they get going, especially this minivan. Smooth and quiet I love all the amenities of the Touring Elite. Got to drive my father-in-law's 2012 multiple times. Love everything about it. We went from Northridge, CA all the way down to Orange, CA round trip and it took just over a 1/4 tank of gas!!! Amazing! My kids love the panoramic DVD screen and the surround sound. Definite plus! I agree, older Odyssey's were built much better, but I can live with this one. The headlights are so bright that the freeway road is lit up for two lanes. Hahaha! A PLUS!!! Love all the sensors all around the car. Especially love the ones for the blind spots!!! Wow! A comfortable ride, with all the bells and whistles for a great price! My wife and I are purchasing one and we can't wait to get ours. I've tried other manufacturers, but it just doesn't add up to the quality and low maintenance a Honda provides. Oh, love all the hook ups for USB, earphones and such. Great for kids! Truly a traveling machine! There are flaws with every vehicle, but I have found few with this one. Everyone I know who owns a Honda Odyysey loves it! Consumer Report reviews say it all."

Very disappointed

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pros: "Seats are a little more comfortable"

Cons: "stereo is awful, poor quality overall"

"I bought this van 6 weeks ago. I previously owned a 2006 Odyssey and loved it. (Until the transmission started slipping and the engine mounts were in need of replacement) The 2006 was built soo much better! It was quieter, the stereo system was great, acceleration was perfect, never any vibrations. I have been disappointed with my 2012 since the day I brought it home. I wish I had taken it back and never traded my 2006. The blue tooth was the first problem. It continuously switched from handsfree to phone and said there was no connection even though it was connected. The plastic between the passenger interior door and the sliding door has popped off so I need to have that serviced. It feels like there is a constant vibration and the engine sounds like it is knocking. Now when I turn in to my driveway or make a turn something cracks and creaks in my wheels. I hope my rotors are not getting ready to act up, too. My 2006 had a constant rotor problem, even after having them replaced and then turned. I feel like now, I will not get my money back if I trade. I wish I had my old van back, even with the troubles it had. I think the older Odysseys were built much better. Beware of the 2012."

So far so........GREAT!!!

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"I had a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country until 2 months ago. I loved it , but the transmission had to be replaced in this van within the first 3 months... And then I had problems with it going on and on. still liked it though. What made me switch to Honda - were the seats. Chrysler's leather seats are the most uncomfortable seats I ever sat in. I even put a piece of plastic to even out that hill growing in the middle. So far Honda's seats have performed outstandingly! I travel to work at least 2 hours a day. My Chrysler's average was 16 ml per gallon. Now with Honda it is around 23. So it's still pricy, but better already. My Chrysler had a DVD with 2 screens - for 2nd and 3rd row. Honda has only one screen for the 2nd row. We have NEVER used the one for the 3rd row in the Chrysler van, so we don't miss it too much. One thing that I liked better about Chrysler was the customer service. The kept fixing my van and were very cheerful all along. Thanks"

Smooth, powerful, quiet, ROOMY, comfortable.

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2012

"Went from a 2010 CRV EXL to the 2012 EXL, best move I've made in years of car buying. We are definitely still on our honeymoon, but I really like this minivan."

Good van and lasting quality

By on Thursday, October 27, 2016

"I own a 2012 Odyssey touring model and it's my second Odyssey. Although I like the van, I preferred the 2008 model better which was an EX-L. I find the van to be very comfortable to drive but do have a few issues. The 2008 model sat up higher and I liked that a lot better. This version sits lower and makes it harder to see on the highway. The 2012 is awful in the snow. I have all season tires and always have on all my cars. Living in the northeast, I know to expect snow, but until recently, only the highest end Sienna offered AWD (they now do on lower models). It would be nice if Honda offered this. For whatever reason, the 2008 drove much better in the snow. As mentioned by other users, the radio system in the rear is non existent. I'm always being asked to turn up the radio when I have a car load - to no avail. And as others have mentioned, when you remove the middle (8th) seat in the 2nd row, the arm rests go too. Sounds silly, but feels like you can fall out of the seat. As my family currently owns four Honda's, we know we are getting a good value with the options in each car and even at the high mileage I have, the car value is still good. Overall, I would recommend this van."

Very good for long trips, smooth ride

By on Sunday, May 24, 2015

"Smooth ride, comfortable, I will trade my 2012 for a 2015"

A great driving car, but not without faults

By on Saturday, September 10, 2016

Pros: "Road handling, gas mileage, relatively quiet"

Cons: "Speedometer, 2nd row seats, leather seats"

"We bought the EX model because the leather seats in the EX-L were uncomfortably firm and hot feeling. You will perspire more in the Honda leather seats than other makes such as Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota. The cloth seats in the EX are very comfortable - not as firm as the leather. If you wear polarized sunglasses when you drive, you won't be able to read the numbers on the speedometer or tachometer on a bright sunny day. The numbers appear on a shiny background that reflects more light than the numbers, making them unreadable. The spare tire is stored in a compartment under the floor in the second row. If you need to change a tire when the van is loaded with cargo, you'll have to unload to get at the spare. Then, there's no place to store the wheel you removed. There are two large screens on the instrument panel, but they are very inefficiently used and they could have gotten away with one. The USB port is exposed and a thumb drive plugged in there can be easily bumped and damaged. The second row seats are heavy and cumbersome to remove. If you need to haul some long boards, you'll have to remove the center console up front as that blocks the floor space. The Odyssey handles winding mountain roads just fine, but the brakes don't give one confidence. The Odyssey is the quietest minivan we drove - surprisingly little engine noise and missing the tire noise you usually find in a Honda or Acura. You can easily carry on a conversation with people in the second row seats while driving 70 MPH."

Excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, December 4, 2014

Pros: "Excellent fuel economy for a big vehicle."

Cons: "Interior noise on the freeway."

"Overall it is superb. Only one real complaint...on the freeway at 70mph, it's noisy inside. Maybe it is tires but the people in the back seat can't hear the people in front. And one minor complaint: the tire pressure monitor has failed three times."