2011 Honda Odyssey

8.4

Based on 128 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

A/C design flaws

By on Thursday, June 29, 2017

Pros: "Comfortable ride for the whole family and quiet."

Cons: "A/C design flaws and quality issues."

"We bought our van, an EX, in January of 2016. Note to self, when you live in AZ buy your cars in the summer when the A/C system needs to show its true grit. The first few months with the van were great. We even went on a nice road trip to TX and a trip to DL. Very comfortable for the long rides with kids. When the first summer hit, the honeymoon was over. The A/C was just anemic. You had to be rolling full steam on the highway to have cold air. Around town in stop and go traffic the air would not blow much below 60 and at idle it was 70+. We brought it in under warrantee and they said they could not find a leak, but gave it a recharge. It was pretty good for the next month, then a noise began in the dash when switching from recirculate to outside venting. Another trip to the dealer and we showed them a video we made. Tip: always make a video or you end up getting an answer like, we were unable to duplicate your problem. They ended up replacing the blend door motor the next time we brought it in. No problems after that since the summer came to an end. The heater is great in winter. Fast forward to now, summer 2017, 18,000 miles. The A/C was anemic again; 70+ around town and maybe 55 on a highway drive. I was idling with the sleeping kids in the grocery store parking lot at 115 degrees last week and the A/C suddenly spiked from Lo to 120 degrees at the vent. I actually have a little probe thermometer in the vent. Then it did it again while at a stop light. We made another video of that too. The van has been at the dealer for a week now. After two days they told me they couldnt figure it out and wanted me to take the van back since they evacuated and recharged the system. I refused and they authorized a loaner van. Now they have my van and another 2016 with the same problem at the dealer under the care of a Honda tech. I learned some stuff from a person that is in the know: the 2016 and newer Odysseys and Pilots are designed to raise A/C temp to 72 at idle. In 2016 a new A/C system was implimented that uses a new refrigerant. That system is unproven and uses some dual hose sections that can actually leak internally. What that means is that you can have low pressure on one side of the system without externally leaking refrigerant, so the mechanics cant identify the problem. The latest I am hearing is that the rear A/C controller is somehow contributing to the problem. I am disappointed with my Honda. They are working hard to solve the issue and I hope for a positive result. Those problems aside, the ride is good, quiet and smooth. I think it could track better at highway speed, but it is acceptable. The fuel economy is good but I never achieve the actual 28 mpg rating despite driving conservatively. Overall, if I would have known about the 72 degrees at idle programming alone, I would have shopped elsewhere."

best minivan–the only choice to make

By on Saturday, January 30, 2016

Pros: "performance drive & comfort+space and flexibility"

Cons: "Just the position of the cruise control buttons"

"This is the only car worth considering if you want a minivan that feels and drive more like a luxury car. The spaciousness and flexibility is second to non."

Excellent van, big step up from the competition

By on Thursday, February 25, 2016

Pros: "Performance, Fuel Economy, Comfort"

Cons: "Remote start turns engine off when doors unlocked"

"Previously owning a Dodge Grand Caravan, the Honda Odyssey Touring Elite is an incredible step up in terms of reliability and driving dynamic. The Odyssey has half the road/wind noise as my 2010 Caravan and reliability of the Honda has been top notch. The 18" Michelin tires provide a stable quiet ride with no tire noise. The sound system is good, not to the level of the JBL or Infinity systems offered in the competitors. I only have a couple negatives, the first is the fact the middle seats do not fold into the floor like the Dodge/Chrysler vans. They are more comfortable in the Honda, but when they need to be removed for more room, they are bulky and heavy. The second item is the fact when using the remote start, as soon as the doors are unlocked, the engine shuts off and has to be restarted. Its not a huge deal but just different than what I am used to. Fuel mileage has been incredible for a large heavy vehicle. Easily hitting 26-28mpg on the highway at 75mph."

Nothing to write home about

By on Thursday, November 12, 2015

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "DON'T GET THIS VAN IF YOU LIVE DOWN DIRT ROADS!!!!"

"Reliability is good - a dependable ride. Here are the flaws: Climate Controls (non-automatic) are VERY non-intuitive - you need to take your eyes off the road everytime an adjustment needs to be made - ESPECIALLY for the rear controls Sliding doors (non-electric) quickly get gummed up on our dirt roads. 2nd Row seats don't have outside armrests - AWKWARD sitting. Long sunshade overhang the rear window makes cleaning the back window difficult - and automatic carwashes can't get it clean and then it drips down the back window."

Excellent vehicle

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive and see. Very reliable."

Cons: "Manufacture quality of interior could be higher."

"Its well designed and built. I bought this after my 2000 Odyssey had 220000 miles and needed $3k of maintenance. I've had no trouble with this van at all and no work done other than standard preventative. It has consistently started, run just fine, and been very comfortable on long trips despite being full of kid's college furniture. I drive slowly and carefully and have an average of 22MPG city and 31 Highway. Not bad for a minivan! I got the lowest end model one could buy and do wish the quality were higher. For example, there are carpet seams under the center row feet I think could have been avoided."