2003 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 640 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

frustrating experience

By on Monday, September 22, 2008

"We purchased our Odyssey in '02, knowing the Honda reputation and planning on driving the van for 10 years. At 6 years and 139000 miles, we have replaced the transmission (AH gave us a "deal" with a cost of $2500) and had water pump, heat, and electrical problems with our van. At this point, I am ready to replace rather than repair it again- it hesitates when shifting. All maintainence was done with Honda dealership- expensive! I don't feel we got our $$ worth with this van."

Cannot be killed!!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, A/C still cold with no maint, strong"

Cons: "electric windows and doors act up"

"Been Abused in every way possible! neglect, children, dogs, hauling, long road trips, limited maint, multiple wrecks, and victim of a fallen tree!! All this and it just keeps running great. Window and door motors beginning to fail, misc electric oddities, TCS now acting up. But- overall the best vehicle I've ever known of. Bought new and would love another someday! Not sure how many of my issues could have been prevented with proper maint, but that is WHY I bought the Honda brand."

Far too many Transmission issues!

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Stylish, very roomy, lots of great features and drives great."

Cons: "Far too many transmission repair issues to be worth the high price tag."

"The van itself is a great van, it handles great and is very comfortable and roomy for a nice growing family which is where I was when I purchased it in 2002. In fact, in my area there was such a demand for this vehicle at this time that some dealers had wait lists. I was happy with my purchase, initially. Then a couple of years later, around 36K miles on a family road trip to Yosemite the transmission completely gave out. The dealer where I had to get the vehicle towed installed a used transmission with about 6K miles on it from another Odyssey. This one cost me about $1000 and it lasted a bit longer, but when the vehicle reached about 130K miles, it, too, gave out. $4000 later, the transmission which was rebuilt and repaired, lasted for little over 1 year. Just long enough for the warranty to expire on it. So here I am again in need of another transmission and I'm done spending my hard earned money to get this fixed. I purchased this van with the intention of keeping it indefinitely, and am a firm believer that it's more economical to fix a car than to go out and purchase a brand new one. I do NOT recommend this van to anyone. In fact, I recently went into a Honda dealership to test drive the new and improved Odyssey and when I asked if the transmission problems that had plagued the Odyssey in the past had been resolved, they weren't able to give me any kind of straight answer, so I walked away.....FAR AWAY! Which is what I suggest anyone looking to buy a mini-van do from the Honda Odyssey."

BAD TRANSMISSIONS DO NOT BUY 2001-2003

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cons: "TRANNY GOES BAD"

"My tranny went out 111,000. Then replaced under recall warranty and after 60,000 miles tranny is going bad again!! Honda said they will not warranty even though I brought honda in one year later saying tranny is not right!! Very disappointed with Honda again, BAD BUSINESS"

OWNED 10.5 YEARS

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

"Bought new in 02 and have not any major issues with the van. Gas mileage 20 in town, 25+ on the road. Great value for the money. Can haul lot's of stuff if you remove second row seats. Have not had any issues with transmission. Negative's: clock light goes out and costs about 60.00 to replace. Motor for rear quarter windows went out, cost about 200 to replace each. Not as quiet as a Toyota. Cost little under 25K when new now work about $6000. For some reason the same year Accord is worth more, but cost less."