2000 Honda Odyssey

8.2

Based on 642 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Best minivan on the market.

By on Monday, July 9, 2012

Pros: "Everything about this car is a pro."

Cons: "No automatic back door"

"Had this vehicle 9 years, drove over 135,000 miles. With proper maintenance I have never had a mechcanical breakdown. This car still runs as if it is new. I am not afraid to go anywhere with it. I would recommend this car to anyone with a family who wants a dependable vehicle that is going to last a long time. Just remember, proper maintenance is the key."

An Odyssey into repair land

By on Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"We bought our used 2001 Odyssey after our first child was born in 2003. It was reportedly one of the safest minivans on the market and we felt good about the purchase. Within the first year at about 90k miles, the tranny went out and the dealership replaced it. Two years and 40k later, the replacement tranny went out, this time we had to replace it. After only 21k miles on this tranny, it goes out and the dealership agreed to replace it but we had to pay the labor cost which was about $750.00. We did so and sold the van immediately after. We replaced this unreliable vehicle with a Lexus GS400 and have never looked back. If you are looking for reliability, stay away from this vehicle or you will be very,very sorry!"

Questional Reliability for a Honda

By on Monday, December 8, 2008

"I purchased my '03 Odyssey with 110,000 miles. The motor has had a faulty EGR valve issue and Honda didn't seem to learn from the transmission problems they had with the 1999-2001 models. I've had to rebuild my transmission at 136,00 even after they performed the recall that was supposed to "fix" the cooling issues they have with the five speed transmissions. The van in general is noisy and the stereo is weak. My previous vehicle was an Audi A6 and I have spent just has much on repairs for Honda reliability as I did for German ingenuity:l. This vehicle is my eighth Honda and the most disappointing."

Good Van

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"At nine years this van is just starting to show its' age and we keep it outside. Plus: Rides like a car. Carries seven comfortably. Last two rows of seets stow or are removable. Carries a lot of things. Neg: Had to replace breaks because honda couldn't get rid of the squeal. Transmission just started acting up. Check engine light comes on for no good reason."

The Good & The Bad

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"Honda has a great reputation, and the Odyssey has lots of great things going for it. Roomy, comfortable, good power, good looking. A good ergonomic design and very good on long trips. However, this vehicle also has a few major defects that end up costing a bunch. The sliding doors and the transmission on this particular car were both repaired or replaced under warranty. But soon after the warranty expired, both items again needed big $ repairs. Many owners have reported the same problems. I would recommend a newer Odyssey, but stay away from the early decade version."

JOY!

By on Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Pros: "Price, Economy, reliability, handling."

Cons: "Cup holders?"

"Never in my wildest dreams would I be raving about a minivan! But I will. I bought it new in 2000. Solid, well put together, not over engineered. I'm up to 218,600K and gas mileage is still dead on if not better. Like a previous review, My kids grew up in it, learned to drive in it, have gone to college in it. People are amaze at the carrying capacity. Built decks, carried loads of lumber (pick-up trucks would be embarrassed). What went south: power steering line at 205k developed a pin hole from corrosion, passenger side door sliding mechanism fixed at 70k, one ignition coil at 215k ($10 @JY). Odd Items: Shifter location a little obstructive. Cup holders could hold better! Regular maintenance is very reasonable, over time, I guess I'm averaging 15/mo.....it beats a monthly payment on a new car. Ok, so it's not as shiny as it once was, but it gets me to more vacations than if i had a car payment:) I can't imagine what I can't do with it! Savings: 50-60K if I had purchased 2 new vans (one every 5 years) Who wouldn't want that?"

Good Van but lots of road noise

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Good looks Comfortable Good mileage on the fwy"

Cons: "lots of road noise VERY BAD TRANSMISSION"

"I bought this brand new in 03 runs good comfortable inside runs good looked good but has a lot of road noise and very bad transmission I would not recommend buying this van used because of transmission problem. In 2003 Honda had a recall on this problem because prior models where braking down within 2 to 3 years I know at least 5 people who had the same problem but the recall they had in 03 for the newer models was just a temporary fix where they installed some jet thing to give 2nd or 3rd gear extra lube so that the trany would last past the warranty thats why the trany on mine went out at 120000 miles. Replacement transmissions wont have the recall fix that Honda did in 03 so the replacement transmission wont last long maybe 2 to 3 years just like the prior models so if anyone is buying this van used or replacing the transmission make sure you get WARRANTY on the new transmission!!!( I have a friend that had to replace the transmission on his 4 times by the dealer )"

Buy a 2004 or newer for fewer headaches

By on Thursday, December 10, 2009

"The 1999 had known transmission issues, so do your research to fully understand all the transmission issues and make sure they have been addressed in the vehicle maintenance history. The vehicle also has an oil port that can be easiily clogged. Honda has a technical note on this as well. Make sure this modification was performed before purchasing any used vehicle. The VTEC system also tends to fail on older vehicles. A screen on the VTEC solenoid gets clogged and VTEC sensor does not see the appropriate oil pressure. It shuts down the VTEC and will not allow the car to run over 2000 RPM similiar to a limp home mode. This usually occurs because people let the oil get low or dirty. Changing the oil and reseting the computer usually takes care of the problem. Overall the honda has been pretty reliable and the only major maintenace was the replace of the alternator and belt. It is due for a timing belt. Make sure this service was done if you are considering purchasing any van with over 90,000 miles. If this minivan had a better more reliable transmission I would drive it anywhere and recommend the vehicle . highly. The issue was addressed in 2004 and later vehicles, so do yourself a favor if you are looking at a used honda odessey and buy a 2004 or newer vehicle."

Great Value Great Family Car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"We bought ours new in 2000 and have put 167,000 trouble free miles on it and it runs today as good as when it was brand new! My wife especially likes the disappearing fold down in the floor, back seat and the dual Power slide doors. Other than regular oil changes and maintenance, we have never had to do anything mechanically to this van in the 7 years we haved owned it. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have every owned. I believe it will run for at least another 100,000 miles."

Best reliable vehicle for young growing family

By on Sunday, February 26, 2017

Pros: "Beautiful and very reliable."

Cons: "not 4X4"

"I have this car for over 16 years. Love her, never have problem, just keep her up with routine maintenance. And she still runs well without problem. Kids are all grown up, time to upgrade. I highly recommend Odyssey for young family. Love the comfort, look, and reliability."