1999 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 639 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

The Good & The Bad

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"Honda has a great reputation, and the Odyssey has lots of great things going for it. Roomy, comfortable, good power, good looking. A good ergonomic design and very good on long trips. However, this vehicle also has a few major defects that end up costing a bunch. The sliding doors and the transmission on this particular car were both repaired or replaced under warranty. But soon after the warranty expired, both items again needed big $ repairs. Many owners have reported the same problems. I would recommend a newer Odyssey, but stay away from the early decade version."

Good Van but lots of road noise

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Good looks Comfortable Good mileage on the fwy"

Cons: "lots of road noise VERY BAD TRANSMISSION"

"I bought this brand new in 03 runs good comfortable inside runs good looked good but has a lot of road noise and very bad transmission I would not recommend buying this van used because of transmission problem. In 2003 Honda had a recall on this problem because prior models where braking down within 2 to 3 years I know at least 5 people who had the same problem but the recall they had in 03 for the newer models was just a temporary fix where they installed some jet thing to give 2nd or 3rd gear extra lube so that the trany would last past the warranty thats why the trany on mine went out at 120000 miles. Replacement transmissions wont have the recall fix that Honda did in 03 so the replacement transmission wont last long maybe 2 to 3 years just like the prior models so if anyone is buying this van used or replacing the transmission make sure you get WARRANTY on the new transmission!!!( I have a friend that had to replace the transmission on his 4 times by the dealer )"

Great Value Great Family Car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"We bought ours new in 2000 and have put 167,000 trouble free miles on it and it runs today as good as when it was brand new! My wife especially likes the disappearing fold down in the floor, back seat and the dual Power slide doors. Other than regular oil changes and maintenance, we have never had to do anything mechanically to this van in the 7 years we haved owned it. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have every owned. I believe it will run for at least another 100,000 miles."

Great car except for all of the transmissions...

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Drives well for a minivan, interior flexibility"

Cons: "Transmissions only last 25-50K miles."

"I have a 2001 Odyssey sitting dead in my driveway. It used to drive well, handled very well for a minivan, and was reliable, except for the transmissions. It needed transmission work at 32,000 miles, and had transmissions replaced at 34,000, 59,000, 113,000 miles, and the FOURTH transmission in the car has failed at 150,000 miles. This car has gone through four transmissions and has had one additional transmission repair. The original transmission lasted 34,000 miles, the replacements have lasted between 25-54,000 miles. Therefore, a used Odyssey would be a real risk, I would think. There are suggestions that the replacement transmissions are failing because Honda reuses the housings which are either too flexible or are misaligned, leading to premature failure in the rebuilds as well. So when Honda "fixes" a car, it is really replacing a defective transmission with another defective one. According to NHTSA, for 2001, Odysseys have about 25 times the rate of transmission complaints as Toyota Siennas. I bought a Honda and not a Chrysler precisely because Chrysler transmissions were supposed to fail early. The rate of complaints to NHTSA for 2001 Odysseys is five times that for Chrysler. Ironic. All of my maintenance has been by the book, all fluids have been Honda, I do not drive any harsher than "normal." Honda disclaims any responsibility for the problem."

be cautious when purchasing,transmission dont last

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "roomy, comfortable to drive, quality interior"

Cons: "transmissions don't hold up to the Honda name"

"the vehicle itself is very roomy and comfortable to drive, no problems with the engine, always runs great and is very reliable. The problem is the transmission. I bought ours with 27,000 miles on it, always serviced and maintained the fluids as required for severe service in AZ. Trans went out at 83,000 miles. I replaced it with a rebuilt trans and now it is going out again at 125,000 miles. Another replacement is about $3800.00. After doing internet research, the Honda Odessey's (among other Honda models) are plagued with trans problems and they have had them since the 2000 models. I don't expect them to last forever, but they should last at least 150,000 miles as I have seen a lot of domestic trans last. I am an ASE certified Master Tech in auto and med and heavy duty trucks and I know how important it is to maintain a vehicle. I would not buy another Honda, I would go broke buying transmissions every 80,000 miles. Do your research before purchasing this brand !!"