1999 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 639 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Overall ok, but quality is mediocre at best

By on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, great for kids"

Cons: "Transmission problems"

"We have been overall pleased with this vehicle. It is comfortable to drive and reliable. We have had our two children through car seats, boosters, etc and always found it very accessible and roomy. We have been meticulous with the maintenance, so I was very surprised to find that somewhere around 100k miles the transmission started to show signs of failure. We have been driving it in its degraded stated for a while since Honda gave us an estimate of ~ $6000 to fix the problem. I have read about numerous transmission problems with this model. Even with the transmission trouble it has been reliable - have never been stranded."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "More expensive that some other vans, but well worth it. Hulls almost anything in comfort"

Cons: "Somewhat costly to maintain, but haven't had to do much in almost 100,000 miles"

"Very roomy, comfortable seats, strong engine, low maintenance needs, good visibility, reasonable gas mileage. Exterior still looks nearly new."

Buy a 2004 or newer for fewer headaches

By on Thursday, December 10, 2009

"The 1999 had known transmission issues, so do your research to fully understand all the transmission issues and make sure they have been addressed in the vehicle maintenance history. The vehicle also has an oil port that can be easiily clogged. Honda has a technical note on this as well. Make sure this modification was performed before purchasing any used vehicle. The VTEC system also tends to fail on older vehicles. A screen on the VTEC solenoid gets clogged and VTEC sensor does not see the appropriate oil pressure. It shuts down the VTEC and will not allow the car to run over 2000 RPM similiar to a limp home mode. This usually occurs because people let the oil get low or dirty. Changing the oil and reseting the computer usually takes care of the problem. Overall the honda has been pretty reliable and the only major maintenace was the replace of the alternator and belt. It is due for a timing belt. Make sure this service was done if you are considering purchasing any van with over 90,000 miles. If this minivan had a better more reliable transmission I would drive it anywhere and recommend the vehicle . highly. The issue was addressed in 2004 and later vehicles, so do yourself a favor if you are looking at a used honda odessey and buy a 2004 or newer vehicle."

Love this mommy-van

By on Saturday, October 11, 2008

"I tried not to get "old" and buy a minivan. Then kids happened. And this "mommy-van", as I affectionately call it, has helped me immensely with dealing with what at home moms have to deal with. Plenty of cargo space, middle seats move and/or pull out, back seat folds down, "trunk" is extra-deep (perfect for keeping your Labrador Retriever out of your kids' laps while driving). The middle and back windows don't roll down in this year's model, but other than that, I have no complaints. Used to think I wanted the "stow-and-go" seating my sister's van has until I sat in those seats and realized they aren't close to as comfy as my middle & back seats. I have had this car for almost 5 years and haven't had any huge repair bills. I opted for the wrap-around warranty from the dealer I bought it from and couldn't be more pleased."

Best van

By on Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Mine has 140K miles, and still runs great. It has been very dependable, however, it has been serviced regularly and basic maintenance done. It was also suggested that every third oil change have the transmission fluid drained and replaced and this will cause the transmission to remain in good order, so I've done that as well. No complaints from me or mine!"

Odyssey 1999

By on Saturday, November 24, 2007

"If you buy a used odyssey make sure that timing belt has been changed at 100,000 miles."

By on Saturday, November 17, 2007

"this van has been good but i would probvably not buy it again,we,ve had ours for over 3 years with no major problems but certain things really bother me like the power sliding doors are giving us problems and the traction control system stinks. our gas mileage has gotten worse over the years.i do like the cargo space in the trunk weve been able to get many things in the trunk.i dont like the service department the y always treat me like a dumb woman but maybe its just this particular dealer."

If you have to drive a miniVan ...

By on Friday, October 5, 2007

"We've put over 100,000 miles on our '02 EX-L model and have never regretted the purchase. One the surface, the only downside to this generation of Honda miniVan is road noise ... it's droaning on certain types of highway pavement. Changing tires helps ... we've settled on Yokahoma Grand Touring's all around. Much quieter. If buying used, make sure your potential '02 Odyssey has had its transmission replaced. Ours went bad at 75k and was replaced at no cost. Also, skip the Honda DVD player. Ours has gone bad at the repair / replacement cost varies from $1,000 ~ $2,500."

could be better

By on Friday, September 21, 2007

"I have owned many Honda's from an 85 accord, best Honda I ever owned 185K miles , to more recently a 2000 civic, cheap tin can, and this Odyssey with 90K miles, is not that great. Granted I am not a minivan fan, but $1000 timing belt replacement at 105K (that is not the "service" this is just to replace the belt!), and an emitions issue not covered to mention a few, as I was 1k miles over the coverage. I have never owned a Honda that drives consistantly smooth at highway speeds, and this Odyssey is the worst so far, I wonder if the recalled transmission should have been replaced rather than serviced, cheap car with cheap service support, and o yah the car was not cheap to buy!"

Best Vehicle EVER!!!

By on Monday, February 27, 2017

Pros: "reliable, great for travel, great for business"

Cons: "center cup holder not deep enough"

"I have owned my car since 2005. I am the second owner. My van had less than 100,000 miles on it. Today 2/27/2017 she has almost 300,000 miles. Original transmission and engine. I have done all required maintence through the years and she is still going strong. This van has tons of space for all odds and ends. I have moved just about everything in her when I need to. The only thing I dont like is the center cup holders which arent deep enough to keep cups steady.....other than that a great vehicle."