2012 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 141 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Underrated

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Super reliable, off the scale fuel economy,"

Cons: "No leather heated seats."

"Great car for the money. Not many out there which is nice to have a hybrid that nobody seems to know exists. I have averaged 46 mpg city highway combined. Took it on a 300 mile trip in zero degree weather to Northern Maine loaded with two people and ski gear, we 80 mph most of the way and it still got 41mpg!! If carefull I can push mid 50's mpg with no problem. I am 6ft guy and this car has plenty of space. Fold down rear seat allows tons of cargo room. I put a hitch on mine and have a bike rack and a 4x8 utility trailer which allows me to move just about anything I need to. I think this is a better car than the ratings are showing. The dealer was willing to deal because of low sales figures. My gain. 50k miles and no problems to date. Drives as new. My first Honda. Hard to fault a car that runs perfect gets great mileage, handles great, fit and finish is perfect. Low cost people mover. Why be a hostage to gas prices?"

Nice car but please don't expect luxury!

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "GREAT mpg... The best, I guess"

Cons: "Very inexpensive interior materials..."

"I own this car for 1.5 years and drive it every day to work and around the area on weekends. Car is very efficient on fuel - on the highway it's 60 mpg, I am serious! Traffic takes it to 38 mpg with heating or airconditioning on. So, if you'd like to save on gas - this is the car! Car is great on turns, it sticks to the road like a glue. Interior wise, I am not impressed. The interior is very, very modest... Honda car should have more expensive materials, this one doesn't. Again, question yourself - what do I want from my car? My answer was - economy, reliable car. So... here I am! Please, read carefully maintenance instructions - dealer would recommend to change oil in 5,000 miles - that is NOT true. You should change it ONLY in 15,000 miles, so please save your money. I am a woman and I am very good with cars, so hope you guys will benefit from this review."

My Insight has been problem free and a GREAT value

By on Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pros: "Value, Gas mileage, power ,room with hatchback"

Cons: "no cruise control, light interior gets dirty quick"

"Other than missing an armrest compartment and no cruise(LX model)I'm thrilled with this problem free car-even without the EX models slip diff- with 4 Blizzaks I went thru the snow with no problem in upstate NY's lake effect snowbelt. plenty of power to pass, and 43ish mpg to boot (a little lower with the snow tires on) I leased this car but will probably buy it at lease end, so I can continue to avoid the repair shop!!!!! The hatchback is soo roomy I moved a clothes dryer in it(hatch wasn't closed)"

Great Gas Mileage

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

"I've had this vehicle since 09/2009 and I can honestly say it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned! I've had luxury cars with the leather interior and moon/sunroofs and by far this a way better purchase. I had done my research on purchasing a hybrid vehicle and was stuck between the Insight and Prius. After much thought, I decided on the Insight and it has delivery 3 fold. The est EPA of 40/43 is way under estimate. I mostly put 20 highway miles to and from daily and at the end of 2 weeks, I still have 1/4 tank of gas left. I've done the calculation myself so not to trust the car's calculation on the dash and just like it states, I'm getting 50 miles per gallon!! Also this is considering that I drive in Miami traffic and can't really hypermile like others may in other cities. Also, I find it worth considering that this vehicle only has about 10 gallons to fill in comparison with the Prius's 13 while still getting the same amount of gas mileage. Personally I way prefer to have a smaller gas tank with the same amount of mileage. At the end of the day, I would want to have the extra cash in my pocket rather than prepaying for an extra 3 gallons of gas. If Honda can make an even smaller gas tank and higher gas mileage ... i.e. 7 gallons and 60 miles/gallon ... that would be even better!! The seats do take a little getting use to. In particular, if you're a female that likes to pick up her hair the head restraint will push your head forward and not allow the extra space between your head and ponytail! I make it a habit to not pick up my hair in the car. Also, in the beginning, my body would feel a little tired from the trips, maybe because of the lack of stuffing in the seats, but it's amazing how your body gets use to it. It's really not that bad. Oh yeah, and if you're thinking of carrying 4 adults in this vehicle I would highly not suggest it, as it may be uncomfortable for your guests. Though this can be an obvious con, the pro is that you're go-to excuse can be that you don't mind driving but that everyone might be uncomfortable in your car as it's a little packed in there. You'd be surprised how quickly you won't be the driver for any occasion and hence save yourself even MORE gas! LOL. Enjoy!"

Best value for the fuel economy and comfort

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel economy, comfortable, affordable"

Cons: "Poor rear visibility, one cup holder blocked"

"I have a 45 minute commute to work everyday so I needed a car that was comfortable and had good fuel economy. This car is great! Pros: It is rated for 40-43 mpg but my commute is mostly flat, with mostly good weather (and I drive very efficiently) so I tend to get 55-60mpg on my commute. My overall average since I bought the car is 53.2mpg (including any interstate driving, bad weather, etc). I find the seats to be very comfortable and I really love the vents. I know that might be strange but I hate it when I have a hot spot where the sun is shining on me and the vents can't direct air to that spot. I am always the perfect temperature in the Insight. The hatchback/trunk area has a surprising amount of room and if you lay the seats down there is a good amount of height available too (my 75lb dog likes to ride back there and she can fully stand up in the back with no problems) There is a storage space under the trunk interior, surrounding the spare tire that is large enough to hold your jumper cables (you won't need them though), first aid kit, etc Having the usb charging/play cable inside the armrest console is pretty convenient. It keeps my mp3 player out of sight and out of the sun so I can leave it in there all the time. Front and side visibility is excellent and driving the car in general feels great. The car corners smoothly, has little road noise and reacts quickly to any driver inputs. I also love the convenience of the steering wheel radio controls, it lets me flip through all the stations without having to take my eyes off the road. The car is low and sleek enough to minimize drag and maximize fuel efficiency but is high enough off the ground that you will clear a standard parking stop - no need to worry about tearing off the bumper or anything crazy like that. Cons: The cons are very minimal but here are the only things I think Honda should try to improve: - The rear visibility is pretty poor, I always feel like i have a big blind spot back there no matter how much i adjust the mirrors - the AC/lighter outlet is directly above the driver's cup-holder so you can't charge your phone from that outlet if you have a drink in both cup-holders That's it! This is a great car. My last car was paid off and got about 22mpg. With this car, my gas cost plus car payment is only $100/month more than the cost of my last car (which had no car payment). The maintenance costs a little more but it needs less maintenance so you don't experience any added cost there. I think anyone who has a commute would love this car!"