2011 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 141 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Good choice for $4.00/gal gas

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "More fun to drive than the Prius I test drove."

Cons: "Don't know how long the eco seat fabric will last."

"I purchased this car to replace a 1996 Civic that I used for running around the city. Although similarly sized, there is a world of difference. The Civic would get around 28 mpg on the highway. But with little regard to conservative driving, the Insight gets me 51 mpg on the same hwy route - with more comfort."

Used 2010 EX-Navi--So Far, So Good But Quirky

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Pros: "Gas mileage, driving position, fun to drive"

Cons: "Brake/acceleration quirks; problems down the road?"

"I bought this car used about three months ago with under 25,000 miles on it. It is was in pristine condition and after nearly 40 years of driving base models (crank windows) all of the bells and whistles have me captivated. We are honeymooning here. I did research on the car before I bought it and learned about its idiosyncrasies. So far, the worst things about it are: (1) jerky starts when engine is cold--both in drive and reverse; (2) the brake pedal falls sometimes coming to a full stop when the engine disengages; (3) too much play in the steering; and (4) the infamous blind spot. I drive the car in the ECON mode almost always but I have discovered that the jerkiness abates when it is off. Driving without the ECON is good for steep hills, passing on highways, and after starting the car when it hasn't been used for more than a day. To avoid the brake pedal issue, I put gentle pressure on it but push it to the floor for a full stop. I am a short driver and the seating position and lumbar support are a perfect fit. I sit high and the visibility is great. The car does not have a back-up camera but the blind spot has become almost a non-issue. The rear-view and side mirrors almost completely eliminate any blind spots. (It also helps that I am a safe driver.) I don't use the "sport" mode and the paddle shifters can be annoying--it took a while to get used to them. Putting the ECON button on the steering wheel would improve ease of its use. The center console is very small, the cupholders are a reach, and the change compartment would have been better placed to the left of the steering wheel. I haven't taken very long trips (more than two hours each way) but the car is comfortable. It is what one would expect from a compact economy car--a bit bumpy and noisy. I rarely have passengers so ease of access and rear seat comfort are not an issue for me. However I do need to be careful not to bump my head when loading any cargo onto the rear seats. So far, I have gotten as much as 47 mph on the highway (temperate conditions) and about 41 combined. In the recent cold spell, I have averaged 39 to 40 in city driving. No complaints here. My big concern is that some of the Insights, I believe mostly 2012-2013 models, have oil burning issues. I have not seen any evidence of that in my 2010 but who knows? Hybrid battery life could also be an issue. And I understand that the Civic hybrids have had battery longevity problems. But the Civic batteries are made by a different company than those used for the Insight. I am keeping my fingers crossed."

44MPG, NOT! 55-57MPG normal highway mileage

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Price, durability, cost to operate, fit & finish"

Cons: "Noisy! no power seat option"

"Bought to commute 134 miles per day, much less $$$ than Prius, has performed flawlessly, back to dealer for oil and filter changes only. Not really big enough for 6'4" 275#, but reasonably comfortable. At 65,000 still have 1/2 tread on tires, rides a little firm and handling is not at all sporty, but hey, it is a compact economy car, right? This was my first Honda, and I am a fan."

Happy with hybrid

By on Saturday, November 14, 2009

"Good car for someone looking for a responsive, fun to drive, tight handling compact car. Paddle shifters, hand brake are nice for an ex-std driver. Dashboard display is much better than Prius high center console. Getting 47MPG in mixed suburban driving. Eco assist system really does improve driving habits. Rear view is helped by oversized mirrors and low second rear window. Driver's seat quite comfortable and rear seat room has been fine for the adults that have ridden in back. Hybrid control displays bring interest to driving that is good for someone used to a manual. Tight turning radius makes car manuverable in parking lots. I highly recommend this car."

Economically and Environmentally Sound

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "10,000 cheaper than a Prius"

Cons: "large blind spots, only one recharging station"

"I have enjoyed an average of 45-50 mpg in mostly CITY driving. I love the handling and reliability of this car. At 5'11 though the low seats have taken a toll on my lower back, especially if I do any long distance traveling. The driver seat can be raised somewhat, but the passenger side not at all. I am not sure if it is due to my height, but there have been several occassions when I have had near misses with other vehicles because of large blind spots, which has included the rearview mirror. The back seat offers more space than expected. There is plently of room for hauling various items in the back. For long trips the lack of available outlets for recharging phones, etc. has been extremely inconvenient."