2006 Honda Insight

Based on 82 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Saving Gas

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"In my personal opinion, leg room is terrific for people with long legs. Plenty of headroom as well. All digital displays (including real time and overall gas mileage) enhance interior styling. Hatch is great for easy storage with access from the front. This car is great for long trips because the horsepower assisting battery charges best during highway driving, but it never runs out anyways and drives just like any other car. I took mine to Florida and back without a problem for under $120 in gas round trip in 2007, even with over 100,000 miles already on it in under 8 years. Visibility driving is the best I've driven. One of those cars that you drive till they drop just for the economic benefits. One final note, my car has a lifetime total of 56 miles per gallon. That's something to think about when thinking about buying."

An out of work Italian car designer goes to Tokyo

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"Purchased the Insight in 2001 and wouldn't part with it on a bet. Commute over 140 (mostly highway) mile per day. Over 145,000 miles and averaging 55.8 MPG over the lifetime. Depending on the driving conditions (and the leadness of my foot), I have gotten from 475 to 640 miles with 10.6 gallons. Tires are an odd size and have to be special ordered, as I've learned since I'm on my 3rd set. Have had 100% dealer maintenance and the only major items have been a new 12v battery and oil pan replacement. Oil changes every 3500 miles will do that. Tennager hates it so that's a plus (made him learn a stick and take driving test in it), but I'm sure the attitude will change when they are paying for the gas. Turns into "game" to kept instant MPG as high as possible. Had 98.2 average for the first 110 after fillup, then traffic, hills and other evil influences presented themselves. Downhill with wind the car literally flies once the speedometer reaches 100+ due to the weight. You only do that once just to be able to say you did. As previous review stated. great "three season" vehicle."

It's a keeper

By on Tuesday, October 9, 2007

"Many people think a hybrid in general may be sluggish. I have had a couple of tickets with this car. I drive it and it performs like a race car. I get an average of 46 miles to the gallon. When I drive nicely though, I have gotton up to 69 mpg on long road trips. I love it. People always ask, "yea but does the savings in fuel really offset the extra price". They are not taking in consideration the very main fact of why it was designed and that is to curb pollution. My honda insight is the only car I know that doesn't stink."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Great car, qualifies for carpool lane with one driver here in california. saves hours off my commute each day and i have saved thousands of dollars in gas the last 7 years. great for road trips. i love my insight. good luck finding one!"

By on Friday, August 17, 2007

"I have loved this car from the day i purchased it. Have not had any problems with it at all and wit the 50+ miles i get per gallon what more can say. I even got 65 Mile/Gal on a trip to Virginia. The only thing i wonder it why did Honda stop making a car that is so great."

Great daily driver

By on Friday, November 18, 2016

Pros: "fun to drive,5speed,capable of burn-outs,alum body"

Cons: "rattles, firm ride, cat conv expensive,"

"We own two '01 Insight's, both with 5 speed manual gearbox. We use these as daily drivers and they are fun to drive. Replaced batteries with upgraded bumblebee cells and have had zero problems. Added IMA boost and current hack to one car. Surprisingly quick off the line with lots of electric torque. No traction or stability control so very capable of doing burn-outs with a strong battery in manual gearbox cars. We get mid 60's in the summer and low 50's mpg in the winter. When it's real cold mpg's will drop into the upper 40's. In winter we run 13" Honda VX rims mounted with 155/80-r13 snow tires. Skinny tires with tall sidewalls give outstanding performance in the snow and help prevent wheel damage from pot holes. Aluminum body also doesn't rust making it ideal for winter salt. Some people laugh, but we've had numerous notes left on windshield from people wanting to buy. Firm ride and some rattles, but otherwise a great car. Limited number of production means most repair shops know little about this car's unique engineering features. Probably best owned by those who are capable of doing their own work. Excellent forum and enthusiast support."

Wonderful car

By on Friday, April 22, 2011

"This car is amazing. I bought it used and have had no issues to date. The fuel mileage is unbelievable! I drive mostly highway in my daily commute. I take it easy on the accelerator and routinely average 71MPG on regular 87 octane gasoline. I own a 5 speed manual and the acceleration is more than sufficient. If I get into the gas and drive it aggressively, my mileage will "drop" to around 60MPG in combined city/highway driving. The interior is surprisingly roomy for such a small vehicle. I am 6'2" and have plenty of headroom. My only complaint is that the car does not come with tilt steering. However, because the steering wheel design allows for easy viewing of all the gauges, lack if tilt is only a minor annoyance. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking to save significant money on fuel costs."

unbeatable

By on Saturday, January 22, 2011

"owned since new. lifetime mpg is 48 under all driving conditions. It still looks new.. corrosion will never be a problem as it's aluminum and plastic. replacement batteries appear to be a non-issue. snow tires render it unstoppable. I was looking forward to the CRZ, but all things considered I think I'll just keep this thing forever !"

love this car

By on Saturday, February 14, 2009

"this is a sports car that gets 50 plus mpg. my favorite car...ever!"

Incredible MPG

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"2001 blue manual transmission, 65k 58mpg lifetime. I have put 30,000 miles on it since i bought it and have brought the lifetime mpg up from 52 to 58 so far. I routinely get 75mpg. My record is 82mpg driving from Akron to Dayton (200 miles). My wife usually gets 65mpg (lead foot). I am 6'3" and the car is more than roomy enough for me. Although the ride quality is poor, it gives it a very sporty feel. It is actually very responsive and fun to drive because of it! I have not modified the car, and I see no reason to do so given that it already gets such great mpg. I will note the engine that comes with the manual transmission is different from the automatic. The automatic does not have lean-burn mode, therefore the mpg will be slightly less (55-65), but still amazing!"