2005 Honda Insight

Based on 82 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Great fuel economy - best as a 2nd car

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and great on gas."

Cons: "Not a lot of cargo space, marginal air conditionin"

"In 2001 Hybrid technology was evolving and this car was state of the art then. There have been a few problems with the sensors giving (incorrect) indications of engine problems, requiring software "fixes" to the computer controlling things. The car itself is very durable. Living in Michigan I am used to seeing cars rust out after a few years, but the fiberglass body on this car is still immaculate. Overall mileage for this car over 106,000 miles was 60.3 mpg for all kinds of driving: city and highway. The car is peppy and nimble and spacious inside for 2 adults. Cargo space is limited. The engine is so small that running the air conditioning causes a noticeable decrease in the otherwise peppy performance. An excellent 2nd car for a family who need two cars."

fun and still gets best MPG of all hybrids

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "aerodynamic, cute and reliable"

Cons: "A bit too Low to the ground; noisy on fough roads"

"I love my little Honda insight, it is fun to drive, and has quick, tight response. It accelerates fast if need be, but of course that decreases its magnificent miles-to-the-gallon. It is one of the first 5000 hybrid Hondas and was made in Japan in the year 2000. If anything were to happen to it, I would try to find another 2-door 2-seater Honda Insight."

I won't buy another Hybrid

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Good daily drive for in city. Easy to Park"

Cons: "Uncomfortable to ride long distances"

"I just installed my second IMA ( integrated motor assist) battery t 97K miles. If it wasn't for the warranty that was extended to ten years after a recall I would be looking at a $4000 repair which is more than the vehicle is worth. The battery and control module was replaced three years ago and that would have been $5000 if it weren't for the recall. The ride is rough and I only get about 42 mpg average. If I know it is going to rain I take my other vehicle because it is not good on wet roads. Standard maintenance is very expensive."

Honda Insight, what really matters

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"Ok, is this a fast car, NO! Is is super comfortable to ride in or is it quiet, NO! Will it hold 7 people and all the gear you can haul, NO! Why is this great car? The Honda Insight is a wonderful car because of the potential for saving $$$ on fuel. And believe it or not, it's actually quite fun to drive. Now if you climb into this car and try to hot rod it around town I don't think you'll be very impressed with the mileage. Just remember, change of driver attitude is one of the most effective modifications you can make to your car to save gas. If you just just try a little you can get >70MPG and over 700 miles to a tank of gas. If you try really hard you can get >100MPG and well over 1000 miles from a tank! This isn't a family car, but it's a great car for back and forth to work or as a second car if you have a family. I love mine, my record tank is 1200 miles, maintaining 98.4MPG."

great little car! replaced battery at 100K miles

By on Friday, January 20, 2017

Pros: "fun to drive"

"my 2002 insight has been very reliable and has caused no major problems since the initial battery recall. replaced IMA battery at approx 100K miles a couple of years ago, and currently needs new a/c compressor at 113K miles. but seeing how another owner has 200K miles on his/hers, 'figure it's worth the fix! not the cushiest of rides, but has been fun to drive and zippy -- not bad for a 15 year old and counting..."

Insight as primary vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Owned since new in 2000, my personal favorite car and the great gaas mileage is the reason. Entertaining instrumentation allows you to monitor fuel mileage instantly and you can squeeze out extra mileage easily with driving method changes. If you rev up the engine before shifting it is plenty fast too, topping out at 102. Easily can go 80 on the highway but then fuel mileage will suffer a bit. Optimum fuel mileage also compromised by hilly terrain, works best on flat land."

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

Owner opinion

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Neat little car that was a lot of fun to drive, but definitely not worth the added money for the hybrid aspect over a normal Civic. Uncomfortable in long road trips and it is a two seater."

best car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, February 1, 2014

"bought it used in 2002 with 14,000, still driving everyday with 176,000. 85% of average American's driving is solo. Been getting 70mpg for years, can get over 100 when I draft semi's on my way to Michigan. It's reliable, comfortable, strange looking in a loveable way. it's been very good to me and I hope I have it for another 150,000."

Excellent car for outstanding highway gas mileage

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage, very good handling, very reliable"

Cons: "Understandibly 'underpowered', Spartan interior"

"This car was designed to maximize highway gas mileage, and it achieves that very well. EPA Highway Rating is 66 MPG, and I have gotten that on several occasions during the 9.5 years (200,000 miles) I have owned this car. I use this car to commute ~90 miles round trip to work each day, mostly highway miles, I have gotten as high as 70 MPG, and routinely get over 60 MPG. It is not a road-burner, and does need to be down-shifted to ascend some hills (with concomitant loss of speed), but that is not what it was designed to do. Not the most comfortable car I've ever owned, but I did not get it for long, cross-country trips. All-in-all, an excellent car for outstanding highway gas mileage."

By on Monday, December 10, 2007

its got mpg but whers honda relyibility

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Reason: no relibility

Pros: "mpg"

Cons: "everything els"

"no releibility good mpg but what a money pit its 7 years old and almost 7,597 in repaers no more hondas for me"

By on Sunday, November 25, 2007

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

By on Friday, August 22, 2008

By on Monday, August 18, 2008

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

By on Saturday, March 1, 2008

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"i've had it for 3 years and i love it.."

Excellent car if you don't have a family

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Very few problems in 11 years; good crash survival"

Cons: "Anything that does go wrong is expensive"

"As a 2-seater, this is not meant to be a family car. If you're looking for reliable transportation and gas savings, I found it to be good at both for the last 11 years. I had one relatively major crash (1-2 years in) at about 40 mph (I thought the insurance company might even total it, but they didn't) where a truck pulled across my lane... and the car kept me from harm even though his tire/axle impaled the whole engine -- making it look like I'd wrapped it around a telephone pole or something. It's fuel economy is extraordinary, which with my limited milage helped to keep me from needing more than about 1 stop at the gas station per month. =) It's a bit low to the ground for some people getting in and out... my 6'8" work buddy and my slightly heavyset father both dislike getting in and out of it. Myself, I don't have a problem with it, but I'm still fairly young, avg height, and of slight build. It is a comfortable car, with leg-room and head-room for all but the tallest to be comfortable once inside. My younger sister absolutely raved about the comfort of the bucket seats when she tried driving it, and I have grown very used to them over the years... now finding many other cars' seats to be rather unlikeable after getting used to mine. The steering / handling is quite good in my opinion, and the car turns very well. The ride is probably a bit stiff for some people, but as I'm accustomed to it, I don't even notice the fact unless I've been driving someone else's car for a while. There is a bit more road noise than in some more luxurious cars, but it's a fairly low key background and doesn't particularly bother me. I've only had 2 major repairs in 11 years (excepting the crash mentioned above) and the first was completely covered under the extended warranty I had purchased with the car. The first (covered) was a battery pack controller (tells the batteries when/how/how long/how fast to charge and discharge) would have been around $4K, and the latest one is the battery pack itself needing to be replaced... and I'm still waiting for a final cost figure... but it's somewhere in $3K-$5K. So... it's fairly expensive when something goes wrong with the electric side of "hybrid"."

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

By on Monday, June 8, 2009

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Insight Rocks

By on Monday, October 6, 2008

"Simply a great car, technology, and 55+ AVG MPG!"

Good Car, Few Options

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"I needed a car to get to work 100 miles a day and mostly highway driving. Few options, but I didn't care and almost all my driving on highway. Not build for back roads and you have to go slow in Winter. The Honda dealerships know how to treat their customer."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next