2004 Honda Insight

Based on 82 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

By on Monday, August 18, 2008

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

By on Saturday, March 1, 2008

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"i've had it for 3 years and i love it.."

Excellent car if you don't have a family

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Very few problems in 11 years; good crash survival"

Cons: "Anything that does go wrong is expensive"

"As a 2-seater, this is not meant to be a family car. If you're looking for reliable transportation and gas savings, I found it to be good at both for the last 11 years. I had one relatively major crash (1-2 years in) at about 40 mph (I thought the insurance company might even total it, but they didn't) where a truck pulled across my lane... and the car kept me from harm even though his tire/axle impaled the whole engine -- making it look like I'd wrapped it around a telephone pole or something. It's fuel economy is extraordinary, which with my limited milage helped to keep me from needing more than about 1 stop at the gas station per month. =) It's a bit low to the ground for some people getting in and out... my 6'8" work buddy and my slightly heavyset father both dislike getting in and out of it. Myself, I don't have a problem with it, but I'm still fairly young, avg height, and of slight build. It is a comfortable car, with leg-room and head-room for all but the tallest to be comfortable once inside. My younger sister absolutely raved about the comfort of the bucket seats when she tried driving it, and I have grown very used to them over the years... now finding many other cars' seats to be rather unlikeable after getting used to mine. The steering / handling is quite good in my opinion, and the car turns very well. The ride is probably a bit stiff for some people, but as I'm accustomed to it, I don't even notice the fact unless I've been driving someone else's car for a while. There is a bit more road noise than in some more luxurious cars, but it's a fairly low key background and doesn't particularly bother me. I've only had 2 major repairs in 11 years (excepting the crash mentioned above) and the first was completely covered under the extended warranty I had purchased with the car. The first (covered) was a battery pack controller (tells the batteries when/how/how long/how fast to charge and discharge) would have been around $4K, and the latest one is the battery pack itself needing to be replaced... and I'm still waiting for a final cost figure... but it's somewhere in $3K-$5K. So... it's fairly expensive when something goes wrong with the electric side of "hybrid"."