2009 Honda Element

Based on 745 Ratings for the 2003 - 2011 models.

Best vehicle I have ever owned for my purposes.

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

"I've had VW Passats, BMW 325i (Major problems) Toyotas; Fords, Chevies (never again) and this is the best I've ever owned. Trouble free, fun to drive, virtually unstickable (sic), reliable, bullet proof. I have two dogs that I take from Texas to California every year to go hunting with my son. I haul a trailer which I figure fully loaded is about 1,200 lbs and I get 27 mpg on the road; more if I don't need to run the a/c. I take the rear seats out (takes about 5 minutes and are totally detachable) and the dogs have plenty of room. They can't do any damage to this vehicle as everything is made so sturdily. When I get home, I just take it to the car wash and hose down everything but the dash and side speakers and it's good to go. I even got so I liked the looks of it!"

GO GET THIS HONDA ASAP!!!!

By on Sunday, October 9, 2016

Pros: "Honda reliability"

Cons: "I could only afford two of them! LOL!"

"I have two Elements, and over the last 9 years by far, they have been the most reliable Honda vehicles i have ever had the pleasure of owning & driving!Plenty of head and leg room,space to haul stuff when you need to as well.Only regular stuff like oil,tire and of course fuel for the vehicle...nothing else..i now have over 268500 miles on one of the Elements and over 125000 on the other.Worth every penny!!!Get one ASAP!!!"

By on Sunday, February 3, 2008

"I had a truck for my toys but moved to this vehicle because I had obtained some kids I needed to move around too. It's a great kid vehicle because the backseats are up high with lots of legroom. You can climb in the car to get them set in their seats and when you are driving they can't reach your seat to kick! There is enough room on road trips to put in your cooler with a portable DVD player for them to watch. If you get a babysitter you can put the seats up and put in both of your mountain bikes without taking off the tires. And two adults can sleep very comfortably if you feel like camping out in the vehicle. We put mesh fabric over the window secured with magnets on the outside. Fast, peppy drive and lots of room!"

Best Vehicle we've owned

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "HEADROOM and cargo space with back seats up."

Cons: "Only seats 4"

"This (and the 2011 Honda Element) are our favorite vehicles ever!! When I heard the Element was going out of production after 2011, I bought the 2011 but KEPT the 2003 for my husband. It has saved him driving his big 3/4 ton pickup (which gets about 13mpg)! We love both our Elements. I REALLY like the changes they have made for 2011!! Our 2003 gets about 21 mpg average and our 2011 gets almost 26 mpg average and has gotten as high as 29 mpg on long trips. It's much more comfortable and the seatbelts no longer are connected to the suicide door! I think Honda made a huge mistake taking this vehicle off the market. As a band director AND triathlete, it is the PERFECT vehicle for both!"

Excellent practical, reliable vehicle

By on Sunday, June 5, 2016

Pros: "practical, reliable, user friendly"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"The Element is quite reliable, having given me no real problems since I've had it - a headlight bulb and odometer bulbs. It is exceptionally practical. I've hauled furniture, firewood, household items, bags of sand and gravel, sod, lumber, and all kinds of other stuff. Cleanup afterward is simple since there's no carpet involved. The quick process of either setting the back seats up out of the way or completely removing them makes hauling stuff really easy. What else? Lets' see, the sound system is very good, it's easy on tires, it impressed me with it's four-wheel ability in Minnesota snow-covered hills, and it has a turning radius shorter than cars even smaller than it is. One of the best things, though, is the simplicity of the dash. It is so user friendly. No IT degree or pilot's license required to use anything. So, the few complaints. Gas mileage, fer sher, though I knew that wasn't rated well when I bought it. I recently switched to synthetic oil and am still pleasantly surprised to have picked up 3 more mpg. I had expected 1.5, maybe 2 if I was lucky. Another complaint is the road noise. All the vehicles I've had since front-wheel drive became king have had road noise to some extent. The Element's is the most so far. All in all, a great vehicle that I will probably never get rid of. It's just way too practical."

Best Vehicle I have EVER owned

By on Monday, September 12, 2016

Pros: "Back seat removal is great, to haul things."

Cons: "After 12 years still looking for one. Love It!!!"

"I bought my Element used with 15,700 miles. It has been a wonderful vehicle. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED Honda stopped making the Elements before they became popular. My vehicle is 12 years old and I only have 93K miles on it. Have NEVER had any problems, gets great gas mileage, and is a comfortable vehicle to drive. Has a great sound system. Wish HONDA would reconsider and start making the Element again. I think they would be a real seller. The CRV is suppose to be the crossover, but it is not. Love the fact that the floor is vinyl, easy to clean. Just a wonderful vehicle."

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"I'm a 60 year old guy who has enjoyed this vehicle which was pitched to the young crowd. I can put my mtn bike inside (with one set of back seats up) and my surfboard on the top. It's the ultimate utility vehicle. You won't break any speed records, but I go over Mt. Tamalpais to get to the beach and enjoy the ride. It's a truly honest car."

OUTSTANDING VALUE AND FLEXIBILITY

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Pros: "SMALL $'s GENEROUS INTERIOR INTELLIGENT DESIGN"

Cons: "HONDA DISCONTINUED PRODUTION OF ELEMENT"

"BOUGHT THIS 4 WHEEL DRIVE CAR NEW FOR 20K! I WANTED A DURABLE PRACTICAL CAR THAT WOULD HOLD UP TO BEING PARKED OUTSIDE FOR HARSH CHICAGO SEASONS. THIS ELEMENT PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS! NO RUST AND STILL BEAMS AFTER AN AUTOMATIC CARWASH. ROLLS OVER SPEED BUMPS AND THROUGH POTHOLES WITH BARELY SLOWING DOWN. THIS CAR FITS INTO TIGHT PARKING SPOTS WITH ONLY INCHES BETWEEN VEHICLES. WHEELS ARE PLACED AT OUTER EDGE OF CAR FOR SUPERIOR MANEUVERABILITY . HAS EXCELLED IN NAVIGATING URBAN OBSTACLES AND IS VERY COMFORTABLE ON LONG ROAD TRIPS. I HAVE BEEN SPOILED BY THE VALUE AND SENSIBLE DESIGN. I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR A NEW CAR AS I NOW HAVE A HEATED GARAGE AND LOVE CARS. I CANNOT PART WITH MY ELEMENT. BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED"

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"I bought this car new. I have never had any problems with it. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles and had new brakes and tires at 75,000. My only regret is that they no longer make the Element. This car is the best car I have ever owned."

I will never be able to replace it.

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "Functionality, economy, reliability"

Cons: "I cannot trade it in on a new one."

Atlanta, winter of 2010

"I bought my Element new in March of 2003. As an avid bicycle rider, I can pack two people, two bicycles, and camping gear for one week inside the car. I get 25 mpg combined with the manual transmission (even when I lived in Atlanta). It occupies less space in my garage than my old Corolla. It handles tight parking spaces and boat ramps with ease. The paint has held up well even though it has not been garaged in the last 5 years, but the black fenders, grill, and trim have faded. It needed a camber kit installed after 75000 miles. I am still getting more than 48000 miles per set of tires."

Atlanta, winter of 2010

Love this car!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, easy cleaning, ample storage or carg"

Cons: "it's a box - when windy it gets blown around a bit"

"This Element has lots of interior room. The back seats are a little higher than the front so the rear passengers have a good view out the front windshield. No carpet means easy clean-up! The rear seats fold up on the sides in seconds to give ample room for hauling or storage. I SCUBA dive so it's perfect for wet gear! The only two things I don't care for is in a high wind it is a little hard to control on the interstate at speed and the front windshield is vertical enough to crack more easily if a rock hits it. Milage around 22mpg in the city, 24 on the road. Overall? Funtastic!"

The greatest!

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, even for an elderly lady."

"The car has so many conveniences. Easy to clean. It can be made to a full bed inside. Can carry large items. No problems"

Very cool vehicle....

By on Saturday, July 28, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive...easy to load....very handy"

Cons: "gas mileage could be better.."

"If you are considering an Element??---give it a shot....it is one of most versatile vehicles I have owned....you can load it up/keep it protected inside & then rinse it out with no issues!!....it looks boxy(it is) but, fun to drive & very useful....give the box a chance....Honda needs to bring it back!!"

A must for anyone who lives with snow

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"I love my Element. I had my eye on it for a few years before I actually took the plunge, but I've had it for 3 years now and I'm just as happy with it now as I was the day I drove it off the lot. I live in Central New York, where the snow can get pretty intense. Sometimes it can snow 1-2 feet in one night, but I've always just plowed right on through with total confidence. The high ground clearance and 4WD make it a real asset in the winter here, which goes from about November to April. I have only a few complaints about the Element (or the Snow Toaster, as I call it, because it reminds me of a toaster on wheels). It's not a quiet ride, and the road noise can get loud if you're on a unevenly paved surface. Also, it's not a performance vehicle, so sometimes driving up hills is a bit like piloting a school bus. You really feel the effort. Lastly, the fuel efficiency is far from ideal. My sticker said 26 hwy/19 city or something like that. The reality is more like 20 hwy and 17 city. With the cost of fuel these days, you can see how this can be a problem. But I just love the practicality of the cargo space, incredible snow handling and nerdy profile. The only thing I've considered trading it for is the Honda Fit. But the Fit doesn't come with 4WD, so I'll probably be in the Element for a while. I smile every time I walk up to it, so I think that's the ultimate test of customer satisfaction!"

happy element driver

By on Thursday, October 2, 2008

"I HAVE A 2003 HONDA ELMENT EX AND HAVE 89,000. THIS BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. IT HAS A MILLON WAYS TO USE IT AND THE COMFORT IN THE DRIVERS SEAT PUTS A SMILE ON ME. GREAT FOR MOVING THINGS AND GREAT SEATS THAT RECLINE IN TO A BED. GREAT CAR FOR ALL AGES. I JUST LOVE THIS CAR AND WOULD TELL ANYONE TO BUY IT."

ONE TOUGH RIDE

By on Monday, December 24, 2007

"Friends, family, & co-workers are constantly impressed with the capabilities of my Honda Element EX-P 4WD. I drive to remote cell phone sites for a living. From the coast to the desert and to the mountains. This ride has not let me down! It has plenty of power for getting up and over rough terrain. It's never stranded me or left me stuck. I've even caught air in it! It's no rock crawler that's for sure (maybe if it had more clearance and a 4X4 low gear). It also flys on the freeways of southern California!"

Love it, Love it, Love it !!!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I have owned & driven my Element for over 3 years & it is by far the simplest & easiest vehicle I have ever owned. I am a big regular guy at 5'11" & over 280 pounds & I have owned trucks, & SUV's most of my life but this one is fantastic. Let me tell you what I love about it: So easy to get in & out of because the doors open WIDE & the seat hight is perfect so that you don't have to step down like a sports car or climb up into it like a truck. The seats are wide across your back & very comfortable. There is more cabin space than anything that I have driven. My wife & I recently rode in a Ford explorer & we both smacked our head getting in. With the front seats all the way back the rear passengers still have 2 feet of leg room. Hooray for no carpet ! No wet carpet in winter, no salt stains, just sweep it & your done. Rear seats fold out of the way for cargo space for things that I have actually hauled like a treadmill, (2) 36" x 80" house doors & frames or (6) 8' x 4' sheets of drywall to the amazement of the kid at Home Depot that helped me load them. Performance is not mind blowing but quite surprising in those times when you need to put the foot to the floor. Fuel economy is 24mpg around town & up to 34mpg running at 75mph on the highway. The 4 wheel drive (yes it is a 4wd & NOT all wheel drive) is fantastic in the snow without having to fuss with gear levers or switches. Solid construction compared to a Suzuki or Mitsubishi, just press body panels or swing the front & rear doors to feel the difference in weight & you will agree. Back in 04 I almost bought another Explorer but looked at 2 year old ones & calculated a 45% LOSS in value against a loss of around 22% for my 3+ year old Element. On a 12 hour road trip she may not be a Cadillac but if you don't have the time or desire to fuss over a vehicle then the simple, practical & all round easy design of this great vehicle is well worth looking at. Just DRIVE one & then try to honestly tell yourself that its not great."

Excellent snow vehicle

By on Friday, October 12, 2007

"My wife and I live in the Sierra foothills and bought the Element as our winter rec. vehicle. Our 2003 has 115000 miles on it already and has never had a single problem. It is excellent in the snow because of its weight. It blows subaru's away. The only thing that slows it down, is the ground clearance when it gets over 12" deep. The only complaint I would have is that it is slightly under powered in mountains. A V6 would be nice. Excellent vehicle."

KEEPS GOING AND GOING

By on Sunday, October 7, 2007

"My 2005 Element is my personal business car. I am a personal trainer and drive to clients home daily. My typical daily mileage is 245 miles. As of todays oil change I have 86000 miles. This car is sturdy, reliable and requires minimal up keep. The brakes were just replaced at 84000 miles. I was in shock! that they lasted so long. So was Evans Tires. They still had 15% left on the pads. If your looking for a great car that is comfortable, fun to drive, that has a great stereo look no further. By the way my personal get around car is a 2007 Infinity FX35 which is not half as reliable as the Honda Element. The only negative with the Element is it only gets about 19-20 MPG"

Needs a few changes

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"My husband bought the 06 Honda Element for me. I love it except for the excessive wind noise, the blind spots at the a & b posts and the lower than you would expect gas milage. I have gotten no more than 22mpg in town or on the highway. I'm thinking about trading for something a little more economical. A shame, I have had several Honda products in the past. Just a little disappointed with this one."

Box on Wheels

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"The Element is a radical change from my previous Suburban. The gas economy is excellent, especially after initial break-in. I doubt I would buy another one for 2 reasons: First, the visibility. There are some large blind spots due to the front beams. I have had some close calls. Also, when the back seats are stored on the side (which is a VERY cool feature), they block the view considerably. Second, the car just doesn't have the comfort level I'd like. It doesn't have the solid feel that I prefer...My college-age sons LOVE it, however. My next vehicle, if I can talk him into it, is a CR-V. I wish I had purchased that instead."

bought new in 2006 and never any bad issues!!

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Pros: "lots cargo room--great in snow and ice"

Cons: "driver blind spots"

"love this car!! only a 5.00 switch to door light need be replaced!! most reliable car i have owned."

Frequently used by small businesses or family trav

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pros: "I can't believe Honda discontinued the Element."

Cons: "Cargo area mat slips forward. It's all good!"

"Good mileage: 22 city/27 highway. A comfortable, long-distance ride. We use ours as a camper: pop out the rear seats and it sleeps two adults comfortably. Step-up running boards, roof rack (kayaks or gear basket), tow hitch for the bike rack, sun roof.... Air conditioning, Bose (5) Speakers wired to iPod jack, AM/FM, CD player, power take-off and overhead light in the tailgate area.... very convenient when travelling, tailgating, camping, et cetera. Very few available in today's market."

Great Vehicle, could be better

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "low maintenance, good handling, good on gas"

Cons: "poor sun visors, high profile in wind"

"Great about vehicle- it gets good gas mileage and is very low maintenance. It handles great in the snow, and gets you where you need to go. It has great cornering and gets into tight spaces easily. Sound system is great and there is plenty of leg room and space for passengers. The tie down points make it very easy to secure a load. Improves- sun visors really don't do anything to block the sun, most times you'll end up using your hand. Very difficult to let passengers out of the back in tight spaces due to the size of the front door. Gets pushed around by high winds."

Dear Honda, Why did you stop making this vehicle??

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, fun, hauls everything, inexpensive"

Cons: "road noise, MPG = 21/22"

"Why did I not buy two "spares" before Honda stopped production of the Element? Answer: three kids in college. I own the 2006 EX and absolutely LOVE it! We've owned several Hondas in the past (Civic, CRV, Accord) as well as Ford, Buick, Cadillac, Subaru, Chevy and Mercedes but this Element, while not as quiet or as "cushy" as others we've owned, has been the most RELIABLE (even more so than the Civics)! In 7 years, I've replaced one battery, a set of tires and a windshield. The brakes are original and just less than 50%. In Texas, we run the A/C year-round and I've never had a need to recharge ro make any repairs to the system. I think I answered my question to Honda. They stopped production because the Element is not a disposable vehicle! There is no profit to be made in the service area. While three have recently offered me over $13k for my '06, sorry, I am keeping mine until the wheels fall off!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Honda Element near Honolulu. See local deals