2011 Honda CR-Z

Based on 84 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

An excellent car- Honda could have done better...

By on Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, economy, rarity"

Cons: "Practicality, price, no sunroof :("

"This car is a bit of a stumper. I've owned around twenty cars over my driving career, and this is certainly up there for my favorites. As every review you'll likely read will mention (and your sales person surely ought to), this is positioned as a sports hybrid. Okay... Step one: buy the 6-speed manual. Buying the CVT means you don't care about sporty. At that point, you're throwing away one of the best features of this car, and a great deal of its raison d'etre (sorry for lack of accents...)- a wonderful, Honest-to-God Honda manual transmission. They really are some of the best in the business. Skip the CVT, or go buy a Prius, Insight, etc. They're much more efficient, plus can seat 3-5 people! The shifter could use a bit more weight to be excellent, but it still is superb. The clutch, too, could use a bit more firmness (a heavy-duty pressure plate would be a nice upgrade down the road), but otherwise, this is an excellent combination for anything but a racetrack. Step two: Forget much of the sport. This car has a combined rating of 130 BHP. This is a momentum car- if you're used to passing at will (as I was, coming out of an upgraded '13 Focus ST, with a 300 WHP '11 WRX before that), forget it. Planning is a must. However, if you maintain momentum, particularly in hilly terrain, this car comes alive (again, 6-speed!). One thing I must say is that after letting the engine break in for the first 1,000 miles (no heavy abuse, nothing north of 4,000 RPM, etc. [NOTE: Honda does NOT recommend or require a break-in period. It is not even mentioned in the owner's manual at all! This is entirely a self-imposed regimen to ensure maximum reliability]), between 1,200 miles and now, the engine feels noticeably more lively. As engines break in, they often gain a bit of power and efficiency, albeit only a small amount. On the other side of sport is braking and handling. On both of these, the CR-Z lets you down. The brake pads are decidedly not aggressive enough, leaving you wanting more even in moderate driving. They always get the job done, but only just. The suspension suffers from being largely carried over from the Fit Sport (the CR-Z can truly be considered the Fit Coupe Hybrid, as many parts are carried over unchanged), which is at least 100 pounds lighter. This means that the damping and spring rates are soft in the CR-Z, leaving a bit too much body roll, but without the benefit of a softer ride. Better shocks/struts are a must-do if you want to really get the most out of this car on a backroad or track! Step three: Forget ultra-efficiency. Let's face the elephant in the room- the CR-Z gets decidedly unimpressive fuel economy numbers. A 1.0L, 3-cylinder Fiesta will handily beat the CR-Z's fuel economy, practicality, and many other traits, while saving ~$6K+. Driving the car aggressively, but with an extremely smooth foot, I'm averaging 40.8 MPG on country roads (I actually went up 0.2 MPG switching to Sport mode full-time, likely due to my very attentive and aggressive driving style. While certainly not a hyper-miler, I have a tendency to get great fuel economy, likely due to preserving momentum). My last tank included a fair bit of A/C use due to heavy rains here in NY, and only dropped that number to 40.7, but of course, your mileage WILL vary. All this on NY 87 octane with ~10% ethanol, so higher numbers are certainly possible in those states fortunate enough to not have corn in their fuel. Also, the engine is still breaking in (I only have ~1,800 miles on it so far), so this should improve a bit. Step four: Forget practicality. Despite being a hatchback, the CR-Z is still (gasp!) a three door. The rear "seats" (they are actually usable and belted in other markets, but not in the U.S.) offer a bit of usable space, and if the divider is folder, they are covered, making for some hiding space for some goodies. The hatch area is deep, but putting taller objects in there will hurt what little rearward visibility this car has. Thankfully, a rearview camera is now standard on the CR-Z (it wasn't in '11-12), which helps. However, rear quarter visibility is still pretty poor (Holy blind spots, Batman!), so be careful when changing lanes in traffic! Step five: remember, it's a Honda! There's a reason that I love this car. It's quirky, but in a good way. For all its flaws and drawbacks, it's still an excellent car. It's a Honda, so I expect it to remain that way for a long time. Driven well, it's easy to keep speed up, even in hills, and it's rather tossable, despite very underwhelming tires (they're great on the Fit Sport, but less-than-stellar on the CR-Z. Extra weight, again?), and surprisingly good fun. The interior fit and finish is excellent, and the instrument cluster is very cool while being very easy to read. The lighting scheme is neat, and effective (although, as I said, I just leave mine in Sport mode now)- in Normal or Eco modes (stay out of Eco- it's a waste of time), the ring around the speedometer changes colors between green and blue, depending on the efficiency of your driving style. The shift indicator arrows mercifully disappear in sport mode (a constant annoyance in the Focus- they would appear mid-corner and distract the driver's eyes from the road- unacceptable in a sports-oriented car!), but are much more reasonable and unobtrusive than in many other cars. The seats are very comfortable. My one gripe is that the rear-"seat" access tab is on the driver's seat (???) instead of the passenger side, which seems like an omission in the transition from right-hand drive to left-hand. A minor gripe, but if you need to access the back regularly, it's a bit annoying. Also, the latch for the hatch area hangs low, so taller users (I'm 6'0") WILL hit their heads on it with some regularity. You've been warned... I happen to have the EX with navigation (and 6-speed, of course!), so a few notes on that: The navigation system is surprisingly good. Having dealt with many other brands' navigation systems, this is up there as one of the best (top two are this and those in the new Kia vehicles, believe it or not!). The load time is excellent, even in VERY rural areas, like where I live. The voice recognition does fine with my voice, despite a bit of an Irish brogue. The introductory speech that the system gives after pressing the voice command button is infuriating, however, as it takes several seconds (5+), meaning I usually end up using my fingers instead, negating any benefit. The touchscreen is very responsive, although the graphics/color schemes available are not very engaging, nor do they match the IP's colors very well. The HID low beams are nice, but the high beams and fog lights could use a bit more wattage, but this is an easy upgrade if you deem it necessary (aftermarket HID and LED kits are available). The OE sound system is very good, although the equalizer control for bass does not seem to do much in terms of subwoofer output. Sound quality is pretty darn good for a stock system. One last thing I have noticed is that the S+ "push-to-pass" button does not seem to do anything. There is zero discernible power/torque increase. I really think that it does not do anything. Oh well... Anyway, I love the car. It's a great, quirky car for this quirky man. If you like it on the test drive, and the payments work for you, and you can deal with the quirks and oddities, buy it! You won't regret it."

Good daily driver

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, cheap to fill up."

Cons: "Blind spots! Not very good mpg for a hybrid"

"I own a 2006 Lexus GS300 and bought the CRZ as a daily driver. It's great! Pros / People like the styling, fun car to drive. Cons / Not the best mpg for a hybrid. Blind spots are bad. Advice / buy the little round mirrors for the corners and you will not be bother by the blind spots. Go for the base model and add your own GPS. The EX Nav is dated and not very good."

The Coolest Hybrid on the Market

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pros: "Sporty look, excellent handling, fuel efficient"

Cons: "Just a two-seater"

"I fell in love with this car the moment I saw it online- it combines a classic 80's sporty body (based on the old CR-X) with a futuristic interior. And to top it off, it gets awesome gas mileage (I'm getting over 37 mpg). For some reason this car gets so-so reviews by the "official" press but they don't seem to understand the car. This a car for people who want a fuel efficient car but don't want to drive a mom car to do it, and there just aren't any other hybrids out on there that are this fun to drive and look this cool doing it. The two major complaints- engine performance and rear visibility- simply don't hold up once you actually drive the car. In sport and normal mode the engine is responsive. Yes, acceleration is dampened in Eco mode, but that's how the car maximizes fuel efficiency. For an extra boost, you can use the Sport+ feature, which revs up the electric motor and acts like a booster pack. As far as rear visibility is concerned, you easily get used to that once you drive it. Also, the car comes with a backup camera standard. The interior of the car is exceptional with a sleek dashboard and controls. Everything feels modern and nothing feels cheap. I ended up getting the EX trim line for the additional leather accents and lighting in the car. I especially love the Eco monitor which helps you drive more efficiently with braking and acceleration. All in all, this car is going to be one I have fun driving for years to come."

Fun LITTLE car

By on Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Pros: "fun to drive, great little commuter car"

Cons: "poor vent positioning & terrible staining of seats"

"I have a 2012 Honda CRZ. Mine is a manual transmission so it is a really fun car to drive. It handles well, gets appx 31 MPG, and I never see another car like mine around. The down side is it is very small. I am 54 and thin and its kind of tough for me to get in & out of. Also, the interior seats stain very easily - even with the extra protection I paid for. The vents seem to be positioned for a tall person, which does not make sense, because it is obviously a small person car. I love my little car, but I do not know if I would buy another one due to the poor interior. One other thing - I got all sorts of extra add-ons (spoilers, bra, moulding, etc.) so I paid about 29,000 in 2012. Today I dont think I could sell it for 8,000."

Love this sexy, almost-free car!

By on Friday, October 7, 2011

Pros: "Super fuel economy, nice hatch, a real looker."

Cons: "Hard ride, not for cruising, but I took it anyway."

"Not only does everybody notice me, but the gas station doesn't recognize me. At 50mpg, this car is way out-performing what I wanted it for. Wow! Only negative is back seat is non-existant and puppies don't all fit for same ride. If you really want an around-town car, fit to run all errands, fit all parking spaces, turn on a dime, AND last like you'd expect a Honda to.. this pup is for you!!! Recommend to everybody. Much fun to drive with all 3 options, from regular, to economy, to GRROOOOWWWLLL and take me up the hillside...."

Fun car to cruise with!

By on Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pros: "Great value for hybrid, fun to drive car."

Cons: "Auto stop hesitation"

"Great get away car! Economy when you want it sporty two- seater with sharp responsiveness in sport mode. Only drawback experienced so far is the annoying Auto Stop feature causing hesitation upon decelerating and acclerating. Appears that the Auto Stop kicks in below 10 MPH resulting in hesitation if you begin to re-accelerate again before a complete stop. Lots of passenger room inside and comfortable to drive. Many daily compliments on the sharp lines of the CR-Z. Finding admirers taking pixs standing next to the car."

incredible feat of engineering at this price point

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Marvel of engineering with 3 drive modes in one ca"

Cons: "2 seater can be limiting"

"Great looks, incredibly fun to drive in Sport mode, and 44mpg in one car? Yeah, Honda did it"

I love this car.

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, very fuel efficient, good appearance"

Cons: "No arm rest"

"I have averaged about 42 mpg since i have owned the car which has been from mid april until now in mid december. I have put over 24,000 miles on the car and the only complaint i really have is that there is not arm rest(stock from factory) in the car. The seats are very comfortable for me. I have had both my fog lights crack from rocks but its hard to not have that happen on a vehicle that sits so low in montana. The headlights on the EX model are awesome, there is some road noise but nothing that i woudl consider excessive. I love the sound of the car when accelerating and the gearboz on the 6 speed manual is very smooth. The car is a little slow when it gets cold outside(mine stays parked outside year round). I really cannot say enough good about the car. I drove many others and everytime i am in another vehicle i wish i was in my crz instead."

two cars in one!

By on Sunday, March 27, 2011

"I just bought my cr-z down here in puerto rico paid about 26 k for the ex with manual no navi, paid 5 k in local taxes :( , the only reason i gave it 4 stars on value. Now about the actual car : the exterior is beautiful , unique and stylish, people think im driving an Audi until the see that trusty H on the front grill, the interior is very modern, seats are very nice but get a bit uncomfortable after more than 1 hour driving. The panel is incredible the speedometer with its different colors is very appealing and reflects your mood as you change from eco (green color) to sporty (red) driving styles, all the info you need, mpg, gas range , green score (it even has a little built in reward system where you earn leaves and rank up as you drive greener) easy to access and even easier to comprehend, the sound system is pretty powerful and you can control it from the steering wheel with ease and comfort. But now why i think this car is truly special, we've all felt curious about driving cars that are either more fuel efficient or sportier than our current ones, the CR-Z can give you both worlds, want to save a couple of bucks on gas this week and feel good about your contribution to the environment hit that green Eco button and cruse peacefully while saving $$$, woke up angry at the road wanting to beat up the pavement hit that sport mode and feel like you just switched your hybrid for a compact lighting. Overall great car, very fast for a hybrid, really fuel efficient (so far im averaging 39 mpg manual trans ) very stylish and unique and if you can get it for 20 k not only i envy you but it is an incredible value. Only two gripes electric motor should kick in more often and back visibility should be a little better ."

What a fun quirky car

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Pros: "economical, easy to drive, sporty, fun, 6MT"

Cons: "2 seats, plasticky, not the best hybrid, tires"

"So I have always loved this car since they day I saw it unveiled. It reminded me of my first car, a Mazda MX-3 with its funky two seater look. (ok they both technically can hold 4 people but it's really a two-seater. When I bought this car I got a heck of a deal I thought but people kinda complain in reviews that it isn't all that economical and it isn't all that sporty. I was coming from a sporty FWD sedan SER Spec-V and sure it didn't have the face ripping acceleration that my Nissan did but it was close if you had it in sport mode. Econ mode is often labeled as neutering the car and really taking a hit on performance, but this is the mode I spend most of my time in. I find that while it is very docile it is the most comfortable the suspension seems to float the steering is very relaxed and there are almost no other noises then the road noise (only complaint and can be fixed with a new set of tires) Sport mode really puts the car on a razor's edge and I like it. People who go for a ride are often very surprised when we start to take corners in sport mode. The turn in is almost telegraphic, and the exhaust note coupled with the electric motor whine almost has you believing that you have the HPD supercharger kit installed. That being said it will accelerate very hard from a complete stop. and if you find yourself in the neutered down econ mode and need the sportiness hit the special S+ button and you get all the sport goodness as long as you are heading in a relatively straight line. This brings up the only real complaint I have yet again. For a Sport themed Hybrid the tires are entirely to hard. I've felt them loose their horizontal grip in some corners that I felt they should have held in. Nothing to crazy but don't toss it into a corner and give it the beans it might not hold like you would like. That said I'm sure a set of really nice high performance all seasons will address the grip and road noise issues. If you are okay with a 2 seater and want something sporty and economical look no further. It will turn heads, you can average 40ish mpg's with an occasional highway run in sport mode to play with a Mazdaspeed 3, and keep you away from the ever watchful eye of Johnny 5 0 because "It's just a hybrid" I knocked Value because Honda discontinued them so they will depreciate fairly fast once you drive it off the lot but it's a honda so it should prove very reliable. Quality is solid but can feel plasticky. The driving dynamics while fun for a hybrid are not like that of an SI or a Focus RS. Interior looks very futuristic but again very plasticky. Comfort is very solid but the seats lack some adjustments and the road noise can get to you on some highways.s"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Honda CR-Z near Honolulu. See local deals