2011 Honda CR-Z

Based on 83 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

Great car for commuters

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient, fun to drive, great stylin"

Cons: "doors swing really wide."

"If you are researching this car like I did, you have probably read many mediocre reviews. But the concept of a "sport hybrid" really got my attention, so I took it for a test drive anyway. And I'm glad I did. I owned a 2009 VW Passat with a 2.0 turbo, 5 seats and 200 hp. It was a great car but the maintenance got expensive for the German engineering. So I set out to shop for a new vehicle. I was looking for a car that is fun to drive, great on gas mileage, and something more reliable than the Germans. What would fit the bill better than a sport hybrid from Honda? Most online editor reviews are written by captain obvious. I KNOW it is a 2 seater. I KNOW it's not a sport car. I KNOW it is a small car. And I can care less about the specs. What I really care about is how I feel when I drive it. And that was the reason I bought it. Let's start with the exterior. It is totally a personal preference. I think the CR-Z looks very sporty and futuristic. LED running light and HID headlights really add to the styling. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, CR-Z really reminds me of the old CR-X that i couldn't afford in high school. The interior. The gauges looks like something out of a Sci Fi movie. It is very futuristic which match the the theme of the car. Although I found the instrument panel was a little busy at first, I got used to it after a day of driving and found Honda really put in some thought into it. While the design of the car makes you want to drive it like a formula one, the color changing gauge and information display really motivate you to be fuel efficient without being annoying. The layout of the dash, from the AC to the sound system, is very intuitive overall. The passenger compartment is am lot roomier than the exterior may suggest. For me, I drive by myself 90% of the time, 10% with my girlfriend or a friend, and I don't remember the last time a human being sitting in the backseat of my old car. Cargo room is plenty on the CR-Z. I manage to put a large north face duffle bag, a messenger bag, and some random stuff in the back with room to spare. A week worth of groceries is definitely not an issue. The seat while being bucket style, offer good support and comfort. Performance. It all depends on your expectations. For me, I was looking for a fun commuter. Coming from a full size turbo charged sedan, the CR-Z does not feel underpowered at all... when you put it in Sport mode. 130 horse power may sound really boring but with the assist of the electric motor, the car feels a lot faster than you may expect. The electric motor almost gives it a turbo like feeling at the traffic light. When you put it in sport mode, it feels like a totally different car. The steering tightens up, the motor revs up a lot quicker, and even the exhaust note got throatier and it doesn't sound out of breath at high RPM. My commute consist of about 10-15 minutes of twisty back road and driving my car in sport mode really make my daily commute a little more fun. Driving in normal mode, the car almost feel like cheap sedan like a Versa, or Yaris. It's very fuel efficient in normal or eco mode, but very boring. I can only recommend using it in heavy traffic or long highway stretch. The suspension is tight but adequately soaks up potholes. There is very little body roll during cornering, well, at least compare to a sedan. It's just fun enough for everyday driving. Fuel efficiency. I have no idea how some reviews reported only 20s in city and 30s on highway. They must beat the heck out of their demos. I like to drive fast and I get consistently 32-34 mpg local and at least 46 on the highway. All I can say is, you got to know what you want. If you want a 2 seater pure sport car buy a miata. If you want to save the planet by getting 50+ mpg, get a prius. If you are like me, want to save gas while still have fun driving, CR-Z is perfect for you. Speaking of the miata, I think both are quite similar in terms of handling and power. Of course, CR-Z is a lot more practical and fuel efficient."

Best Commuter Vehicle For the Money!!

By on Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, Fun Handling, Good Looks, Fairly Priced"

Cons: "Sluggish Acceleration, Little Storage"

"I bought this car with the sole purpose of using it to drive back and forth to work. Since purchasing, I have found to enjoy this little car so much that I drive it more often than any of my vehicles. I drive 85 miles (170 miles round trip) each day to work and average about 4,900 miles/month. I have tracked all of my fuel and overall associated costs for this car to see how I am doing. Since I bought this car, I have averaged 42mpg with the best tank being 46.7mpg and the worst tank being 32.6mpg. In the spreadsheet that I created to track all of my costs, I have determined that this car literally pays for itself when compared to the cost of driving my Toyota Tacoma over the same amount of mileage (to date, I have saved over $9k in fuel costs alone). This car is extremely economical, but still a fun little car that can handle some winding roads with ease. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap & fun little car, but not for anyone with intentions of using it as a family car."

I love this car

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Lots of power. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Hard to see out the back!"

"I average 40 mpg. Can be noisy with the wrong tires. It is a blast to drive. lots of storage in the back. Use caution backing up and changing lanes."

Fun to Drive and Easy on the Gas

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "see above"

Cons: "It only holds two people."

"This is a one owner car. I"m the proverbial "little old lady from Pasadena". Has been well taken care with all of it's maintenance kept up. Gets 35 - 38 mpg in town and over 45 on the open road or freeway. Color is a beautiful Northstar Blue. New battery. Original upholstery has had seat covers over it from purchase date, so is in good condition. Loads of storage space. Easy and fun to drive."

CR-Z

By on Monday, November 1, 2010

"Excellent value. Great blend of sport and economy. This is one of Honda's better ideas."

nice hybrid sporty car

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "soft handling,"

"brought my civic in to dealer for service, saw this car and had to have it. overall its a great little car, handling could be better, not great mpg for a hybrid but the styling is awesome, 20k miles without a hitch, squeeked 42mpg out of a tank driving conservitavly, 39mpg with normal driving. plenty of storage for groceries and long weekend get aways, it even carries my kayaks cant say anything bad about this sporty hybrid, this one is a keeper"

great car

By on Saturday, November 6, 2010

"this is a beautifully stylled car. it has many great qualities, handling, hybred engine, agility and quality... in the 20 to 21k niche,i think this a great investment. a moving piece of art. rear view needs acclimation, but a wonderful automobile...."

I love my CRZ!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "great fuel economy; fun to drive"

Cons: "placement of heating/cooling vents"

"I had no problems driving my CRZ in the snow last winter. I also get over 40 mpg in the city w/ summer gas. It looks good and has a smooth drive. Even my 6 ft. husband enjoys driving my car (and fits in it as well). The only complaint I have about my car is the placement of the vents for the driver for heating and cooling."

Nice car, some drawbacks

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, spunky, fun to drive in sport mode"

Cons: "gas mileage, no center arm rest, bad visibility"

"I like the looks of the CR-Z and it is fun to drive in sport mode. In econ mode, i feel like i need to open the door and help it with my left foot. The left and right rear visibility is terrible and probably dangerous. It is very hard to back out of a parking spot because it is lower than other cars and has bad visibility. There is plenty of storage space, the hatch is nice, the seats are almost comfortable. I had to buy a center arm rest aftermarket, it really needed it. I bought the body side molding kit to protect the sides. Gas mileage of 35mpg is so-so for such a small engine with the hybrid system"

Loads of Fun!

By on Friday, October 29, 2010

"I purchased a silver CR-Z CVT EX with Navigation about a month ago and have averaged 45 MPG over the past 500 miles in predominantly city driving in mixed modes (i.e. not just Econ). The sport mode is definitely worth the title as you can actually feel the car hunker down and the steering firms up almost immediately. I love the Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde quality about the car as it accurately reflects my polar opposite moods about driving; there are days when I want to save as much gas as physically possible and then there are days when I want to test the highway speeding limits. I love that it still looks as cutting edge as the original 1st-Gen Insight (my previous car) but feels more like a fully-realized production car (i.e. no absurd weight limits, a more sturdy suspension, and *hopefully* more affordable parts). To sum it all up, if you are in the market for a stylish and sporty car that can also act as a gas miser, then give the CR-Z a try! I would hurry though, because Honda has only allotted 2-3 CR-Zs per dealership."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Honda CR-Z near Honolulu. See local deals