2012 Honda CR-V

7.7

Based on 343 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

7.5/10
    7.6/10

Honda continues to impress with CRV

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Pros: "value, reliability,resale value"

Cons: "upgrade EX models with a few more EXL options"

"This is our second CRV, previous one was a 2013 EXL on a 3 year lease which was flawless vehicle and not one issue in 2 1/2 yrs of driving. Just traded to the 2015 EX and Honda has made a good thing even better. Superb vehicle in every way, only wish steering wheel was leather like in Accord and auto climate should be standard on EX models, but not a deal breaker. This updated model for 2015 is better, smoother and quieter in every way , Honda will be in our garage for many many years to come."

Almost Perfect

By on Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Pros: "Drivability"

Cons: "Upholstery, Milage & Steering Wheel"

"This is a very comfortable ride, with great acceleration. It hugs the road well and does great on turns. I like the size, roomy on the inside, but much smaller than my last car, a Toyota Sienna minivan. There is good leg room, comfortable arm rest, and lots of small storage nooks in the doors. I have been very disappointed in the seat fabric, which stained the first month I got the car. (I had my previous car for 12 years with no damage to the upholstery.) Also, I have been disappointed in the milage. I drive a combination of city/highway daily and was hoping to get the stated 25 mpg. Wrong! I generally get 22 mpg. Recently I changed the gasoline from regular to mid-grade and am now getting 24 mpg. Freeway driving (a road trip) I got 28 mpg, although it might get better milage if I could ever find a highway without major repairs in progress and bumper to bumper traffic. The last disappointment has been the sandpaper feel of the steering wheel. There were no options on this unless you upgrade to the leather seats, which I didn't want. I'll have to get a leather steering wheel cover for the feel I want. And, of course, the act of buying the car from the dealer was a terrible experience. Overall, I'm satisfied with my car's performance."

The perfect family car

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Practicality, smooth to drive, thoughtful design."

Cons: "Could have more power I guess."

"This is a car whose excellence cannot be defined by 0-60 times and the numbers on a spec sheet. What it is is the most intelligently designed family car i've come across. I am a former Volvo owner who thought i'd be buying a much more expensive car like an Audi, a TSX wagon, or a Volvo until I tried the CRV. I was so blown away with its combination of price, refinement, and versatility that I bought one. Never thought i'd end up in one but i'm happy I tried it. The interior packaging is exceptional. Despite the fact that the car is not that large on the outside it has tons of rear-seat room and excellent cargo room. The high roofline gives it an airy feel. The interior impresses on many other counts. For instance the large bin between the seats, the conversation mirror/sunglass holder, and the easy fold rear seats are excellent features for families. It also has tons of little spots for interior storage. Those things matter a lot more to families doing real world driving than eight speed transmissions and 280 horsepower engines. Gauges are excellent and buttons are large (at least on the non sat-nav models). The car also drives very well. It isn't meant for charging up a mountain road but the engine is quiet, the transmission is smooth, and road noise is well controlled. It is much quieter than our older Accord and Volvo wagon on the highway. The ride is also pretty good and the handling is car like with excellent steering feel and little body lean. One of the biggest thing that drew me to the car was how smooth and easy it is to drive. It feels like a more expensive machine in terms of refinement. It is not fast by any means but it has no problems keeping up with traffic. 185 horsepower would have been seen as a lot not too long ago. My mileage has been better than the Volvo and Audi wagon's we've had. On highway heavy fill-ups i've averaged as much as 34. I do more city and mixed driving and my overall average has been in the 26-27 range so not brilliant but not bad either. Overall this is a wonderful car. It is exceptionally practical for a family man like me, is not expensive, is smooth to drive, and as a Honda should last a long time. It also has excellent safety ratings which matter a lot to me. I would absolutely buy it again."

EXCELLENT "SUV" for the Money!

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "Quality and handling"

Cons: "Nav, and lack of no turbo 4 nor V6 option"

"We test drove a lot of vehicles (Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Audi, BMW, Acura…all compact SUV's) before we test drove the CRV (last vehicle driven), and I can tell you that for the money (excluding the luxury brands I drove…in that category, the Q5 was the best overall) it was the best overall vehicle! From quality to handling, none can beat it. The handling was surprisingly good. I come from driving German engineered coupes, and I had no idea what to expect when I drove the crossovers besides lack of soul. Some were mushy and free of any feedback like the Edge and MDX, some were too stiff for what the vehicle was manufactured for. The CRV did not have the best looking interior, but it did feel like a $30K interior unlike it's other competitors that were over $30K and didn't feel like it. The quality of the interior is very good (nice leather and plastic inside). The best thing about the interior is how roomy it is. For such a "small" vehicle, it was very roomy inside. I had two friends that are 6'2" in the back with my seat all the way back and they still had room to move their legs. I love the split seat fold downs with the one stop shop lever pull. The only gripe I have about the interior is the very outdated looking/feeling NAV. Do not like the NAV. drive/handling was excellent compared to it's competitors (definitely needs either a turbo or a V6 option. C'MON HONDA get on that boat already! Compared to it's other 4 cylinder competitors, it was the best. The ride was smooth, yet car like and lots of feedback from the road (a very good thing in which you actually enjoy driving the CRV). The engine is smooth as well. I know the exterior is a little "controversial"; however, I love it. It's got nice lines to the sheet metal and is not trying to overdo anything nor does it look overpowering to the eyes. I think it's conservative, yet modern. I think the hardcore CRV owners that are looking to upgrade to the 2012 model will be very happy, while people like me, new to the crossover market and looking to get a compact "SUV" under $30K, will be very happy with the CRV as well and will find it hard to get the same quality/handling/reliability under $30K from other vehicles."

Excellent and useful car with great mileage

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Usefulness, space, economy, Bluetooth"

Cons: "Plasticky interior, road noise, weak Pandora"

"I've had my 2014 EX AWD CR-V for 3 weeks, and driven about 1200 miles on a mix of highway and city roads. I have had no major issues. The mileage has been really good for an SUV, ranging from 22 to 34 MPG, average 28+ MPG. Coming from a Camry Hybrid which got about 38 MPG, I'm very pleased with this AWD SUV. It is a lot of fun to drive, with responsive handling, albeit a bit vague on center when on the highway with wind affecting tracking a bit. Acceleration is good. I find the large cargo area and one touch folding rear seats great for functional use. The only things I might pick on are the large expanses of hard plastic, lack of Homelink as an option, and no standard auto dimming mirror in the EX level. I installed my own aftermarket Auto dimming Homelink rear view mirror. I had the TPMS light come on last week but after re-calibrating I haven't seen it since. Also, Pandora connection is iffy, requiring plugging and unplugging the USB into my cell phone to get it to play right. I like the seats, adjustability, seat height, compliant ride. It is reasonably quiet, but some tire noise comes in on the highway. I really like my CR-V, and hope it proves reliable in the long run as our other Hondas have been."