1997 Honda CR-V

Based on 531 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

This vehicle is virtually bullet proof

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Pros: "Consitently exceeds my expectations, long life"

"I bought this vehicle for my son from a co-worker back in 2008. He was not mechanically inclined, but as the original owner he did an excellent job changing the oil & other routine servicing (tire rotation...). When we acquired the car it had 135,000 miles on it. I do all of my own repairs, so I have taken the servicing farther by doing items like CV joints, tie-rods, fuel pump, blah blah blah. I also am fastidious about routine servicing as well. Bottom line. At 220,000 miles, there is basically nothing wrong with this vehicle. I just did a compression test this past weekend and all cylinders were within 5 pounds of factory spec when new - awesome. Transmission is as good as new and there is virtually no issues that are not considered "normal wear and tear". I plan on keeping this for at least another 5 years at least."

My best car

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "easy to drive, good fuel economy, reliable,"

Cons: "kinda slow, could use more leg room"

"Ive owned my 2001 honda cr-v since 2008, and I've never had any problems with it! I bought it with 82k miles for $9,100, and it has around 126k miles on it today. I have had to keep up with the maitanence, like oil changes and tires. I also replaced the timing belt around 100k miles, but other than that this car has needed nothing. I love this car, and plan to drive it until it "dies." My only complaint is that there could be a little more leg room for the driver.. I'm 5'10 and I would definitley move the seat back further if I could. But then again, this is a small SUV so it isn't a surprise. Great on gas for an older SUV (averages 22mpg), looks great and runs the same today as it did the day I bought it."

I love my 1997 CRV!

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "price, features, reliability, great in snow"

Cons: "none I can think of."

"owned since new in 1997. Never had a problem. I have had only to replace usual stuff like tires, timing belt, radiator, oil pan. NEVER had a break down, never had any issues with interior features. I will drive it till it dies!!! which may be after I'm long dead..."

I love my lil honda to death

By on Sunday, February 12, 2017

"I have a bright red Honda CRV which I call Carl, and I absolutely love him. It was my family car in the early 2000s (hence the high mileage) and continued being so until about 2012-13 when my family got a Subaru. At the same time, I got my permit and license, and so the car was deemed my first car. Its an excellent vehicle to learn to drive in. Pros - gas mileage, look, space in the back, relatively easy to clean, multiple spaces for drinks, turns nicely, and really good in bad weather (think snow, sleet, ice... as long as you drive carefully, of course!). Cons - braking system tends to wear out faster than other cars, must be careful turning and braking at same time (as with all cars, but specifically Honda because of handling and rollover rating), can get uncomfortable after a long trip (seats are not as plush as new cars)...I also noticed it can be sluggish getting up to speed, but that may just be because my Carl is about as old as I am (18). Overall, really solid car. Its easy to recognize when something is wrong - youll hear it or feel it rather quickly. Im very attached to mine and itll be bittersweet when I must replace it, but Im confident itll last through college. Also worthy of note - in 2016, I took this car to an all-day Consumer Reports Street Survival course (think wet skids, slaloms, emergency braking with no ABS) and it did well."

440,000 miles says it all....

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Will run forever"

Cons: "A bit of road noise (not major)"

"Bought the car new. Never had any major problems in 440K miles. Routine maintenance, a catalytic converter, and finally the timing belt are all it has ever needed. NEVER stranded me anywhere in all these years. I love that the seats fold FLAT, unlike my newer model. Great interior space. My newer model has more cargo space, but this one is more efficiently laid out, and easier to use. No lip at the back is a plus for loading. The larger access through the back is also nice; the newer one has a smaller portal in the back which interferes with loading. Why did they mess with a good thing? A little more road noise than some cars, so I didn't give a perfect 10, but it is by far the best car I have ever owned."