2017 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,007 - $22,116.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Valid for ZIP code 96801 through 06/22/2017

10/9.5

8.3

Based on 57 Ratings for the 2016 - 2017 models.

Love this car!

By on Monday, June 5, 2017

Pros: "Great price, great gas mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "none that I can see"

"I have had several Hondas and all have been a good experience. When my 05 Pilot started having issues, I decided it was time for something new. Almost all of my cars have been used and I decided I wanted something brand new this time. I originally stopped at the Honda dealership to look at the Accord, but ran across the 2017 Civic first and fell in love! My Pilot was kind of a gas hog, so the Civics gas mileage is awesome. I spend about 25 a week compared to 60 or more. The ride is smooth and quiet and has plenty of power. I love that the entertainment system has Apple Car Play and hooks up with my iphone. I have had no issues with the stereo/entertainment system. I love being able to listen to Spotify or Sirius XM radio. The interior is very comfortable and solid. Overall, this car has a lot of bells and whistles for the price. Definitely does not look like Civics of the past."

Our 10th honda was disappointing

By on Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Pros: "handles well, reasonable power, good gas mileage"

Cons: "substandard electronics (audio/voice command/etc)"

"Between my wife and myself this is our 10th Honda. We have had very good luck in the past and that is why we came back. This time it was a brand new 2017 Civic Sedan Touring. So far the handling has been fine but wow, Honda blew it on the electronics on this one. Some of this may seem nit picky but when driving the highest trim option on a brand new car, everything should work and work well. - sirius/xm reception is poor. We routinely experience drop-outs. In contrast the after market SXM radio in our older CR-V and the factory SXM radio in our 2014 Ford have no drop outs at all when driven in the same area (without tall buildings, underpasses, mountains, etc). The dealer says that is normal. Wow. Guess we learned our lesson that you have to try out the satellite radio to make sure it actually works. - Audio from USB barely works. If you have a large number of albums on a USB stick, the audio system cant even see them all and the voice commands wont work at all. If you put a very small number of tracks on a USB stick, the voice commands limp along but fail to search on things like artist or album despite the online help in the car saying it will. Again, works flawlessly on my Ford that is 3 years older. And again, shame on me for assuming that the audio system would have basic functionality working reliably. The dealer said it is functioning normally. - There are some ergonomic issues. A big one is that there is a big knob for setting the cabin temperature but the sound system volume is accessed by a touchy touch screen thing or by a steering wheel control. At least this feature works but it is clumsy and fairly counter to what feels natural (turning the knob for volume). - voice commands are not well recognized. Sometimes we can get it to dial the phone correctly an sometimes not. If you compare to the voice recognition on iphones or android phones or other cars, youll see Honda failed on this too. - The camera on the right outside rear view mirror interrupts voice commands and generally takes over the screen. It is super annoying when it takes long enough to give voice commands to try and get the navigation system started that you have to start over because of making a right hand turn or moving a lane to the right. - It is easy to get the voice prompts into a weird state where it takes manual presses on the screen to stop getting voice prompts. - Android auto may sound like a nice means of future-proofing the navigation system but be aware you have to plug your phone via USB (and not just use bluetooth or wifi) to get this to work. And even then it is somewhat difficult to cleanly switch between the android auto features and normal features. - when my phone receives a text message, the car display says I have mail. Sometimes it will read it out loud to me. It does not say who it is from based on my contacts but rather just shows the sending number. In contrast my Ford says the name, shows a picture of them, and reads the text message. In short, after 1000 miles of driving the car Id return it if I could because the electronics are so bad. It is frustrating because the other aspects seem good so far (but ask me again at 50k and 100k miles to see if it stays reliable). Still, in 2017 it shouldnt be too much to ask for an audio system that is better than the aftermarket stereo from wal-mart in my 20 year old SUV. We wanted to love this car. Really we did. My CR-V was not perfect but I really liked that car. My previous civic was nothing fancy but I basically had no complaints at all about that one. My wife loved her CR-V, insight, accord, and civic(s). We should have spent more time really testing out the audio and other display systems and voice commands instead of just assuming they worked. Im already trying to figure out when we can replace this one (sadly not for a long time, this was a big investment for us). You can be sure we are done with Honda after this experience."

Best car I have ever driven

By on Friday, March 17, 2017

Pros: "Comfortable, Powerful, Reliable, Fuel Efficient."

Cons: "A little hard to get into, since it is low."

"This car drives like an Expensive sports car. It has plenty of power. It is very fuel efficient. It is very comfortable. It has a lot of safety features. It is extremely reliable, and inexpensive to maintain."

Wait To Buy Until This New Model Year Is Refined

By on Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Pros: "This car is loaded to the gills and fun to drive!!"

Cons: "Ummmm...what happened to Honda Quality???"

"I have now owned my 2016 Civic Touring for 2 weeks and driven it from Florida to Arizona. 2700 miles logged so far...mostly highway but a few hundred miles in city. Lets start with the positive... The new 1.5 liter motor is stout and efficient. Combined I'm averaging 37 mpg with 42 mpg Hwy. The car has great road feel and is fun to drive. The adaptive cruise control is among the best I've ever used and the lane keeping assist is effective and pretty cool for the long highway road trips. Not much road noise to report and what there is I would attribute to the OEM tires and not the car itself. The interior of the Touring is exceptionally well appointed, comfortable and nicely designed. She has no blind spots and the passenger side mirror cam is very useful. In stop and go traffic the brake holding feature is so much easier than hopping on and off the brake pedal. Did I mention remote start?! And ALL these cool useful features are included in the Touring package at under 27K USD. Bang for Buck this is a fantastic value and a good looking ride to boot! Now the Negative... Shortly after starting my drive West I noticed the passenger side electric window struggling to close and it appears that it is a faulty motor. I guess that kinda thing happens and I just left it up for the drive. That is my only mechanical squawk. The electronics of the Touring model are not the quality I expected from Honda. Shortly after i took delivery of the car the touch screen began to flicker on and off and go blank. Picture an iPad on the dashboard malfunctioning while you are trying to setup and follow navigation, use Apple CarPlay, make phone calls, drive etc. I went back to the dealership and learned that there is a service bulletin for defective screens already in place but the car was delivered without being repaired/replaced. Maybe this is the kind of deal they will only address upon malfunction? They could not deliver a replacement screen before I was to journey West so I was out of luck. Driving a gazillion miles on I-10 with this problem (thank gawd an intermittent problem) was frustrating and to stay sane I would completely turn off the screen when it acted up. In addition, the Bluetooth feature for hands free calling and streaming music from my iPhone struggles with audio that is so choppy that the feature is virtually useless. The only option was to use hardwired via USB cable and use Apple CarPlay when the flickering screen permitted. The stereo sound is fantastic but I noticed the sound to the rear speakers and subwoofer dropped off intermittently yet happened so rarely that I wondered if was just hearing things? I found a local dealer in Arizona and they went to work. After installing a new screen...It did not work at all. Now I'm am back to the flickering original screen while we wait for a another to be shipped. The rear speakers problem is a known issue and the service department installed a software upgrade that solved the intermittent drop offs by COMPLETELY disabling the affected speakers. C'mon! I don't dare try to address the choppy Bluetooth issue at this point. Oh yeah, no replacement window motor in stock but no biggie as I'll be spending some time next week at the service department working on the other stuff. The electronics failures appear to be both hardware and software related. I'm disappointed that the car was delivered with a known service bulletin on the screen replacement. And it appears that the software suite (although nifty and slick) is not quite debugged. I do understand that this level of technology is evolving and requires updates regularly but my rear speakers indicate we are not heading the right direction. In closing I will say I love the car and way it drives. I would have waited 6 months to buy it while it was refined had I known about these issues ahead of time. I would absolutely recommend this car but only later this year when it is a bit more debugged and the dealerships have enough spare parts to solve any problems the new owners might experience. If you do choose to buy...before signing that check go straight to the service department and verify all software updates are installed and if there are bulletins of known problems that could be addressed before you pull off the lot. Happy shopping finding your dream car!"

If you have to buy one car...

By on Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Pros: "Price, Acceleration, Build Quality, Sophistication"

Cons: "Infotainment/CarPlay is full of bugs, LaneWatch"

"This is a fantastic car. I stepped down from a mid-sized VW Passat after the lease ended. I test drove many cars (Passat, Golf, Camry, Accord, Fusion, Mazdas 3 and 6, Impreza and Legacy) but didnt see the need to spend more money on a marginally larger, but thousands pricier option, and the other compacts didnt compare (other than the Golf, which also feels like a more expensive car, but the resale and reliability of the Golf tipped the scales in the Civics favour). Ive owned/leased several cars and decided to finally buy and this is the wisest option in the mid-sized and compact market. It feels much more substantial than the price and previous Hondas Ive driven. Ive owned Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, Subarus, and Volkswagens and this is the best mix of quality, driving dynamics, performance and value of any car Ive called my own. There are a couple of negatives. The infotainment/CarPlay integration is slow, unreliable and buggy. A lot of it seems to be the CarPlay app itself, because it gets better/worse with iOS updates, but the Honda SmartLink system is slow to respond and could be better. Not the worst Ive used, but not the best. Also, the LaneWatch feature is more annoying than useful. It takes up the screen that you often want to use for other things too often...especially sitting at a light with your right turn signal on. You can turn it off, but it would be nice to have an option to default to disabled until you WANT it (lane changes). If you have to buy one car, make this the one."