2000 Honda Civic

Based on 1179 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

great car for 16 years

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "Gas Mileage, reliability, turning radius, comfort"

Cons: "the visor is falling apart"

"This car is great. I have had it for over 16 years and it has never broken down; it's needed only minor adjustments and has had good gas mileage even at this advanced age."

slightly dissapointed

By on Thursday, June 11, 2009

"I purchased my SI in 2003 with 36000 miles on it. This car has been driven gently and well cared for inside and out. The first 40,000 miles driven were maintenance free but i have put a lot of money on it since then. Replaced the factory ECU $1300, clutch $900, 02 sensor $300, and muffler two times $250+. Compared to a chevy or ford i guess i could call my SI reliable but after researching it for months and eventually making the purchase in 2003 i did not anticipate one thing. Everytime i have had work done on this car its an average of 35% more expensive than a regular civic(ive had many callbacks on wrong estimates). From the tires being special to the clutch to the timing belt all of it was much higher in price than a comparable 2000 civic. I have never neglected maintaining this vehicle, synthetic oil change every 3000 miles and preventitive maintenance list 4 pages long. All this at 100,000 and the car seems to keep having problems. I will try another car brand for my next vehicle."

Dependable, zippy, age 12 (I'll gladly keep it!)

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I bought my 96 DX hatchback new (after a series of unreliable used cars) at age 30 when I needed reliable transportation for me and my bicycle. I never dreamed that I’d still be driving it 12 years later. It’s super dependable, and it always starts immediately – despite living in cold MN winters and never having had a garage. Mine is a 5 speed and it’s a zippy little car that’s fun to drive. Like others, I’ve had unsolicited offers to purchase my Civic. The turn signal canceller died this winter (I had it fixed), the manual window handles move stiffly when temps fall below 0, I wish I’d sprung for power steering, and I’ve replaced portions of the exhaust system 2-3 times (again, it sleeps outside, and my commute is less than 5 miles, resulting it quick refreezing) – but after all these years I consider this stuff to be minor and find it an amazingly cheap car to own. It still gets ~28 mpg in city winter driving and regularly get 40+ mpg on freeways in the summer. I’m also glad to see more small cars on the road these days! Ever year I consciously decide to keep it for awhile longer; I suspect we’ll replace our 2002 Subaru (even though I like it too) and keep the Civic. I couldn’t have asked for better!"

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"this is my only vehicle. i am in construction, requiring me to drive on average 1 hour to work. sometimes for a few weeks its closer to 2 hours each way. i bought this car in december, and it has lasted with no problems. it has rust on the engine and muffler, probably from being near the ocean in a past life. or the owner lived near snow and did not wash the salt off in the winter."

the perfect first car

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, fuel efficient, and safe."

Cons: "I'd like a little more power but cant complain"

"i received a 96 honda civic ex for my 15th birthday and i absolutely adore it. its the best car for the value, its reliable, quick, and it looks pretty stylish for an 18 year old car."