1997 Honda Civic

Based on 1183 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Best first purchase!

By on Saturday, March 1, 2008

"After graduating college almost 9 years ago, the Honda Civic EX Coupe was my very first car purchase. I love this car, and it is the most reliable car ever. I am still driving it, and it is now 8 years old. I had it repaired once, for a minor pipe leak due to an animal biting through some wire. But other than that, it has been a great car. It's only 4 cylinder, so it's great on gas. It's comfortable and fun to drive around town. For my first car, as a new college grad, it really served me nicely. And knock on wood, it's still going, which is one nice thing about Hondas, they last for a long time."

$ave on Ga$

By on Saturday, February 23, 2008

"I have never driven a 4 cylinder car before, but I have absolutely no regret about driving this one. I've owned 5 cars in the past 5 years all V6 or I6 engines. This car can still get up a move even with an Auto which quickly downshifts. I got the 99EX. It feels like a go cart to me. The mileage is great even when dogging it through town and high speeds for long distance. At 175k on the ODO I feel like the car has just become broke in. First non-domestic car I owned as well and it has made me rethink about american cars greatly. Honda has opened new doors for me. Don't expect the car to be race material or eye candy but when your gas bills are cut in half in this time of fuel insanity you will be quite satisfied with your purchase."

Good buy

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I bought this Civic from a mechanic shop who had repaired it after an accident. The car has run very well, with only minor problems: driver door mechanism had to be fixed, and a minor exhaust leak had to be fixed. Anybody that has owned other vehicles with over 130,000 miles knows that this is remarkable. I liked the ride, and the manual transmission is very smooth IMO. Only negatives was the interior design placed the cup holder in front of the tape player, and the driver door had to be locked from the outside manually. Positives: between 28-34 mpg overall. Handled snow admirably for a small car. Very good acceleration for a 4cyl with high fuel economy."

Excellent Value

By on Monday, December 24, 2007

"I bought my Civic EX Coupe new 9 years ago and have since driven it for 172000 miles. It's been through all kinds of driving, including a few snowstorms. It will cruise at 90 mph with no complaints, and it still gets 33 mpg while doing it. The most amazing thing? I haven't made a single repair! The only time it has spent in a shop was to get the timing belt replaced at 100k and the clutch replaced at 150k (although it wasn't worn out yet). Truly amazing car all the way around."

Reliable/ Dependable

By on Saturday, October 13, 2007

"Honda has kept it simple focusing on the details. No surprises, this car has a lot of pep for a 4 cylinder. Very responsive on acceleration, while getting impressive fuel mileage. It is fun to drive on short trips, perfect for everyday city driving. It is a pricey car, but worth it on quality and resale."

305k and runnin!

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"I bought this car for $350 from a friend after I was in a car accident...It had 250k on it! I've driven it for almost 2 years now and it's crossing over to 306k this week! HONDAS FOREVER!"

Wow..best made car worldwide

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"We were in need of a car as a retired couple. I had owned Lincoln's, 58 Thunderbird, 49 Olds Rocket, etc. I am a car freak, even now. This Honda Civic showed up in Ebay as a Salvage title $3G's under book and no one wanted it. I flew to Florida, found the car to be s theft recovery with no scratches on it at 16,000 miles. We bought it and took a 6000 mile trip home. It is now at 76,000 miles with nothing but an air conditioner compressor replacement. It is a bullet proof little pony and it eats very little hay..29/34 mpg. I set the cruise at 81 on the Utah freeways and get no tickets cause it dosen't call attention to it's self. I want to keep it in the family even though I may buy another "hot rod" cause it is always there for us. Buy One...."

i loved this car

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"going thru highschool and then college and watching all my friends drop money they didnt have on fixing this and that was ridiculos. i had the car for 7 years and aside from the normal matnence tires oil changes air filters and tune up i only spent 300 dollars on repairs in the 7 years and that was to replace the muffler system aside from that there was nothing and even being up in miles now 169000 i still have no problems and that says alot"

Couldn't Get Any Better for Value

By on Sunday, August 26, 2007

"Bought this used with 40K miles on it 6 yrs ago. It's now at 125,000 and still ticking. Zero major problems and since we're regular with maintenance, we don't expect any to come up. It drives like quality and its look is still quite "handsomely classic" at 10 yrs old. My husband feels somewhat cramped in it (he's used to his spacious truck), but it's perfect for me. Doesn't perform miracles in the fuel efficiency dept (about 30mpg on avg??), but I guess that's why we have to start pushing for more widespread hybrid technology (next car???). Overall, not a purchase you'd ever regret."

CVT Warning

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"After 70,000 highway miles, the CV Transmission needed to be replaced. I was fortunate enough to buy an extended warranty to cover the dealer charge of $3,000+ to replace (with a new one, not a refurbished). Drove it another 10,000 miles and gave it to my mother. It now has around 100,000 miles and the CV transmission needs to be replaced again! BE AWARE, NO CVT!"

Economical and Fun

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"With a manual this little and light car is fun to drive, has pretty nice handling, sips gas, barely wears any mechanical components, is super reliable, barely depreciates, and with the hatch configuration it has a huge trunk, more usable than a much larger same generation bmw 3 series (my other car). All in all a great car to own. The only downside is that it's getting old and makes you wonder what would happen if that 5000lbs SUV hit you dead on..."

Best for the price.

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I love my Honda Civic, gets great gas mileage, and will run FOREVER without any problems. Everybody should own a honda."

best car to date

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"i love everything about this car, bext one out of the 50+ i have ever owned, has never left me stranded, never needed anything but maintainence."

Best car I ever owned

By on Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Pros: "Easy to work on, precision parts, reliable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic on door panels, expensive OEM parts"

"I bought this car used about 8 years ago. This is the longest I've owned a car in my life, all my others having had some major issue in their lifetime. This car has been a blessing. It's reliably driven me over 150,000 miles in that time and continues to press on. It's had some major issues like the ignition coil and clutch going out, and some minor ones like replacing the axles, the regulator arms in the windows (apparently these cars had issues with those), replacing the catalytic converter and O2 sensors, the arm rests caving in (my major complaint), and a minor oil leak. But compared to the problems I've had in the past with other vehicles, this one has been a dream."

Most reliable and cheap car to own great car!!!

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Cheap prices, great MPH, Reliable, Cheap to fix"

Cons: "not much only two cup holders and yea thats it"

"I have had this car for around seven year being a male i have used this car to its full potential and i have only had to change the timing belt and the alternator. if your looking for a car that will save you money and look good at the same time the Honda Civic is the way to go. BEST CAR EVER!!"

incredible quality and reliability

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "reliable and economical"

"Aside from scheduled maintenance, this vehicle has been almost flawless. Replaced an electric window motor about 5 years ago, but other than that, everything else is operating in top condition. I'm confident this car will give me a couple more hundred thousand miles of service."

One of the best

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK"

Cons: "Two door"

"Got this car in college and just kept driving it. The thing never wanted to die and I used it as my ski vehicle as well as everyday commute. AC works like a champ and the gas mileage started to go up after 200k (34mpg pretty much always). I would have taken this car to 500k but someone hit me and a 15 year old car is totaled way before you can repair it. This car was a lot of fun to drive around mountain roads and being front wheel it was easy to tell when all four slide but wasn't a scary feeling."

delightful little car - and very reliable

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "tough little car, great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "rear seats almost impossible to get into"

"I love my little Honda hatchback; handles great, fits into tiny parking spaces (altho the doors are very wide), fairly good in snow; lots of cargo space when rear seats folded down; tough and reliable; always starts right up - never a problem; >30 mpg. Repairs can be expensive since only Midas is allowed to touch it, but cheaper than looking for another car, so hope it lasts forever."

Great economical little car

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "reliability, gas mileage, handling"

Cons: "Comfort"

"Love this car, perhaps not the most comfy car for long drives, but sure is reliable, economical and I feel very safe driving it. I have no dout this civic will keep going and going."

Nice little car

By on Saturday, April 21, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, fun"

Cons: "back seat a bit cramped"

"We had a lot of fun with this car, found it very reliable. Back seat is a bit cramped."

Everything you need in a car...

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Milage, has a bigger car feel to it. We love it."

"It's been a 12 years affair with the Honda civic. This model handles better than the 95 or 01 models of civic which I previously owned as well. Great gas mileage. Recommended."

This is the only car I ever want to own again

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "value, reliability"

Cons: "exhaust system is weak"

"This car is a fantastic value for someone looking for functionality with reliability and none of the other fluff that automakers seem so focused on today. Even compared to cars that are 15 years younger, it still has the most comfort for its size, efficiently, driveability, cargo room, and overall design. Honda, please bring this car back!"

OK. Great mpg. Expensive/frequent part replace.

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage"

Cons: "Expensive/frequent rplcemnt parts, no cruise ctl"

"I'll start by saying that the car has never left me sitting. However, the car has had check engine light type problems consistently since 130k miles. I have had (3) O2 sensor problems ($450 each because this is the HX model), EGR valve problems ($350) once failed closed and once failed open. EGR ports and passages have needed to be cleaned 2x. It has a rattle that I cannot get rid of at 2000 rpm. The car gets about 42 mpg average for me. I do almost all highway driving. The car is not fun and is not exciting to drive. Not having a cruise control is a huge downer. If I could get the O2 sensors and EGR system to work I would give it a 4/5. I checked all of the civic forums. Apparently all Civic HXs have these problems after 100K miles. Br prepared to spend BIG on replacement parts because Honda used some complicated parts to squeeze the extra mpg out of these HX vehicles."

Love it!

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "Great price, awesome to drive, gas mileage."

Cons: "Acceleration"

"Best car I've ever owned, hands down. Not a single issue since I've bought it, Honda knows how to make a reliable vehicle."

Best car ever

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "dependable, gas efficient"

"This car has been the most dependable reliable car ever. I bought it 4 years old and it is now 12. The only problems have been the pipe underneath rusting out (which happens in snow covered states) and the radiator went. However, you can expect this with any car. Other than that the car was problem free, always started, always ran well, and always gave great gas mileage. I had 168,000 miles on it when I totaled it, I could have taken it past 200,000 with no problem."