2002 Honda Accord

Based on 1706 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Sound Dependable Car

By on Saturday, July 30, 2016

Pros: "Fairly priced, great value, dependable"

Cons: "hard to get in/out of back seat area"

"Bought it new in 2002 and have loved it since the day I drove off in it. Maintenance always performed as required and have never had any serious problems. Nice smooth ride. I would recommend this car to anyone. Selling it now only because I just purchased a 2016 Honda CRV."

lasts a long time

By on Friday, July 8, 2016

Pros: "extremely reliable"

"I read about the common transmission failures on these v6 models but mine is an LX V6 and it has 210,000 miles and it's still running good. several years ago I had to get the water pump and timing belt replaced and also oddly the front engine mount had to be replaced which was probably $1000-1500 at the time just for the engine mount because they were not done at the same time as the timing belt/ water pump. at 210k the AC still works good. a few years back the alternator went out and I actually replaced it with a rebuilt ebay HONDA ODYSSEY V6 3.5L alternator, it has more amps (130 amps vs the old 90 amps stock) and all you have to do is lengthen the wire connector, but other than that its a straight bolt on. I've pounded on the accelerator a few times trying to race a few cars ever once and a while but for the most part drive it normal and so far no major engine or tranny problems. I replaced spark plugs a year ago and noticed oil in 2 plug holes. I think this means a gasket leak, but I don't know how to replaced the gasket. the oil pump still works but the main seal is leaking slowly for about 1 or 2 years. I have the honda lifetime oil and they warn me about it for a couple years now but I ignore it and it's fine. oil pumps even if the rubber seal is leaking will still work fine, I know now that it can be ignored since this is a high mileage vehicle and changing the pump out is very expensive and labor intensive. I've changed the brake pads and rotors and fuel pump and changed all fluids except oil (because lifetime oil change plus its cheap at walmart anyways) and all of it is easy. to change coolant pull lower rator hose off and open cap to get out coolant in engine block. to change power steering fluid, pull off one of the lines on the reservoir and turn steering wheel full lock until all the fluid comes out, careful dont let it run dry too long. used power steering pumps are cheap even if you somehow do burn it out. I had to buy a rear adjustable camber link kit because the aligmnet on the back was slumped and you cannot adjust the back camber/ toe in. best tires for this car is michelin energy mxv4, they are expensive but last forever and are good in snow and summertime. I pump my tires to 32-34 psi because it seems to be ok and I get less rolling restance. better mpg. tires look good at this psi. replacing hood struts was cheap and easier than I thought. headlights got too faded and installing new ones was easy but took a while to get the proper height angle adjustment because the new ones were aftermarket and have a weird pattern. one major problem is doors lock and unlock themselves when you get in the cand close the door. I had to disconnect the driver's door actuator motor. I replaced the drivers actuator but still no change. I think the key lock senor or whatever module controls the locks has gone bad. it's something related to a computer I'm sure because the door locks themselves work independantly but when first getting in and closing the door they lock and unlock as if there's a ghost inside. I've had to replace the cruise control module computer, it's easy and I use cruise a lot so that could have contributed to the problem. all these problems were easy to fix even the fuel pump in the back which is just a few bolts and you can reuse the sock. I also had to reuse the electronics because I bought the fuel pump for the wrong car. it was for honda luxury brand line instead of for the accord. the motor was bad so that was the only thing wrong with it. the jack points for this accord are not clear. I found some pictures on some sites and the jack point in the back is under the suspension spring bolt in the back. I also had to drill out the retaining philips screws on the rotors when trying to replace them, they are rusted shut"

Great Car !Saved my life

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

"Was hit the on the driver passanger door & rear by a flat bed tractor trailor truck twice & crossed 3 lanes of trafic & hit guard rail. Only bruces. Insurance would not total it so we had it fixed & I'm still driving it 10 years later. Drives just as good as it did new. Had bought for 5 star safty & v6. Both have paid off. Drives Great ! Planning on keeping it until it falls apart. So far only regular maitance required. No major work done at all. I still enjoy driving it! Drive it everywhere I go. I had no idea that I would still love it after this many years."

Very reliable, economical car.

By on Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cons: "sun glare off dashboard to front windshield."

"Car is made well with no major repairs after 138,000 miles. Still gets 22 MPG in the city with A/C on (in Texas heat.) I baby it with oil and filter changes every 3,500 miles. Wish it had a drive chain instead of drive belt. I do a lot of the maintenance myself. Best car I ever owned. Very durable and comfortable. I gotta have reliability as wife is handicapped. Can't get stuck anywhere. 2002 was a good year for Honda."

10yrs plus with this Honda

By on Monday, January 30, 2012

Pros: "Doesnt Break down easy, Dependable"

"Im able to drive long distance without any problems with the car itself. MPG is really good for being an older car. We drive this car average of five plus hours daily...this is an amazing car. Perfect for family its very reliable, seats 5 comfortably. Worth every penny, its lasted a long time!"