1999 Honda Accord

Based on 1706 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Love my Honda !!!

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "low maint., great engine"

Cons: "poor quality paint job for 1999 models"

"I got this a Honda accord DX 1999 with less than 50k miles on it. Overall great running car. Had transmission replaced cannot say for sure if I cause this problem as I had to use it like a cop car shifting gears back and forth once. I can say that I do know of two others that had transmission problems as well with their Honda's other makes. Kept good basic maintenance on car with oil changes and a product suggested to me called Lucus. This is an oil stabalizer used with oil changes.The engine ran very well ;some time I would get in the car running and attempt to start it up again because engine was so quite.. Once the car started randomly shutting down like it had some sort of electrical problem. This was corrected with replacing some plastic part within the starter; once corrected no more problems. The problem with this year (99) car is the paint job was lousy. My car look like acid has been poured on the top, hood and wear beginning to show on doors. I've seen and talked to others with the same identical paint problems. With my rack and pinion for power steering just replaced and four brand new tire guest what?. Car was totaled. I found the value to replace parts because the car on average was not a problem and engine still sound great. Loved My Honda . RIP !!!"

The most reliable car I ever owned!

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "reliability, service expenses, size, comfort"

Cons: "MPG, outdated design, engine performance"

"I bought this car used from a well maintained environment. All receipts, maintenance was performed by the same Honda dealership. I was confident to take her over with 105K miles in it. I drove an additional 80K miles with the car and kept maintaining by Honda. Compare to other brands Honda dealerships are not that expensive. Oil change with coupons below $30 so why take it anywhere else. I recently changed the timing belt, plugs, wires and valve adjustment and it slides like when I bought the car. The looks are getting outdated so I always play with the idea the upgrade my car, than I realize I drive it till the end whatever! If you can track the maintenance on the car, see the entire history this is the car to buy. Buy it from a matured owner and you will get a vehicle that will take you up to 300K miles. They had a major recall on the transmission and there is a chat on the blogs about it but I never experienced anything bad so far. Of course I change the transmission oil in every 30K miles!"

great auto!!

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

"I've owned 5 of this model automobile. All have been great except that the need to replace the timing belt at a certin milage is an awful thing. After replacing it on my last Accord, we had oil leaks constantly and had to get rid of it beacuse it wasn't safe to take on a long trip. It had very little trade-in value even though we bought the same model again!! That's been my major complaint on each car. Otherwise, the've been great"

I Love this car

By on Monday, July 2, 2012

Pros: "Suspension, Controls, Dependability"

"I have the 2000 Honda Accord EX V6 (Signet Silver) I bought this car used in 09, This is my first car and i have had it for 3 years now. It is very dependable for me to travel in going to college (Highway 120 mile trip). My leaher seats are still in perfect condtion (no cracks). And i love that it does not have a antennae (easy for car wash), it has satelite radio but not XM radio and GREAY suspension. I have steering wheel controls to my radio, and garage opener controls. It really offers a lot for a vehicle it's age. I would would recommend this car to anyone for a first vehicle!"

Great Old car!

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, decent performance and great milea"

Cons: "Nothing noted"

"My car is a 2000 EX, MT with 160K miles. Owned since new and after 12 years, the car still drives great. It has some small scratches here and there, but overhall looks good for a car of that vintage. The single most expensive cost of ownership of this car has been tires. I have been running Bridgestone Potenza's, since I removed the original Michelin's 140K miles ago. Replaced battery 3 times, timing belt, water pump, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, several oil changes (every 3K)replaced brakes at 110K miles (still had significant pad remaining). Original suspension, alternator, starter, clutch. Car has been great. I have been looking for something to replace it with, but how can you replace a car that is soooo dependable and fuel efficient (35MPH hwy). I'm going to look at the 2013 Accord, but I'm not sure I want to part with $30K, just to have a new car."

Fantastic car

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Dependable"

Cons: "Too old to have XM radio standard"

"I bought this car new in 2000. My goal was to keep it 15 years, it looks like we'll make that easily. This car is reliable, comfortable, easy to drive and oh yeah, did I mention, RELIABLE. This was my first Honda, but will not be my last. Eventhough this car is 12 years old it still looks amazing."

Great service and reliability

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Constant compliments"

Cons: "only one power outlet"

"Bought with 59 k and not a lick of trouble. All maintenance done. Consistant 28 to 30 mpg highway. Honda is a great product."

Very solid midsize car

By on Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pros: "good mileage, easy to work on, very reliable"

Cons: "cant think of any."

"Our Accord has been very reliable. No maintenance surprises. I have kept up on oil changes, replacing the timing belt and brake service and it keeps going. The only thing that stopped working was the power moon roof will not fully open anymore. Everything else after 275k still works! and it is still very reliable."

great car!!

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "very economical to drive!"

Cons: "Back seat isn't comfortable on long trips."

"Great practical car! Routine maintainence and minor repairs are all I've had to do. I bought it new in 2000 and drive it daily. A great car for the money! Good gas mileage too!"

great car for value; extremely dependable

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "handles great; accelerates well; low maint."

Cons: "a few scrapes; needs brakes"

"gave me lots of good service at low maintenance cost. Should run ok for next 75,000 miles; only 2 sets of brakes in car's lifetime"

132000-199000 miles in 2 years and no mech issues!

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "Holds it's value and is extremely dependable car!"

Cons: "None!"

"Bought a 1998 honda accord ex with 132000 miles on it to commute to work (150m a day) in 2009. 2 years and 70000 miles later - I'm a believer! All I did was regular oil changes (Valvoline) and regular maintenance (timing belt when mileage recommended it). Other than that I have only replaced brakes/rotors - normal wear tear items. Car runs great! Unbelievable! Everthing interior wise still operates perfectly also. Moonroof, AC/Heat, power seats, interior lights, etc. Still averages 29mpg hwy. I don't think I will ever get rid of this car!"

By on Thursday, August 13, 2009

"The engines in these cars are almost bulletproof, although the transmissions are fragile I've owned my 99 accord for about 5 years now and i'm on my 2nd tranny"

Outstanding V-6 Model

By on Thursday, March 12, 2009

"I bought this car V-6 model new in 1998 and have never had anything go wrong with it. It still looks new and performs as a new car. I can't imagine selling it. My previoius car was a Honda Civic that I owned for 15 years and sold it only because I wanted air bags and air conditioning. I sold that car with more than 220,000 miles on it, and nothing was wrong with it. Hondas are great."

Gotta love Accords

By on Saturday, February 7, 2009

"I'm a auto technician who worked on GM's but bought Honda's for their turn key reliablity. I bought my 1998 Accord last year with 114k I replaced the plugs just for maintenance it was running okay but the plugs were completely worn out I don't get it. The rear quarter panels are rusted through which is a common issue but doesn't effect how it drives. Converters are a common issue with high miles. I have the original belts on with 127k and my friend has close to 140k with original belts including the timing belt. Don't sweat the belts unless the overall car looks like it was unmaintained, don't drive like a knob either. You should get them replaced when you have the money though as replacement of the valvetrain will cost a lot more than changing the belts and the water pump which is driven off the timing belt. I have had four Honda's and loved them all best of all they all sold for more than what I paid."

Good car for light travel

By on Friday, December 5, 2008

"A 2002 honda accord was my first car I purchased on my own. I did not know a lot about honda at the time but read how it was a reliable brand as well as higher mpg. The car gets decent mileage at around high 20s to low 30s in the city and mid 30s on highway travel. I have only had to replace a few things (timing belt at 80k miles which can be expensive and something I wish I knew about these cars before I purchased it) and the normal wear and tear of wiper blades, tires etc. No really significant problems My only qualm with this car was it was not comfortable to drive in long distances. I live in des moines and would frequently visit Chicago which is some 300 miles away. My neck and back would usually be sore because the seat really doesn't do a good job keeping the driver positioned behind the wheel. I have never had any breakdowns, stalls or any other major problems. I was also sure to take good care of it with regular mainenance of oil changes every 5,000 miles and keeping the body clean. My car had a 4 cylinder engine but I was still impressed with its pick up. The accord is small so its easy to zip around traffic on the highway, but has enough horse power where if I were to go for that quick burst of speed, it was there. I really don't care about "style" on a car. It looks pretty standard, but if I wanted a flashy car I would have bought a mustang or something similar. Of the options on this car, I would opt for leather again for the comfort but would skip on the moonroof which was noisy and I rarely used it. Overall, I would buy another honda just for the sake of mind that I know my car will start when I need it to. I have seen many of my friends buy cars like saturns, focuses and sebrings and seen them deteriorate rather quickly."

another great Honda!

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2007

"This was the top-of-the-line accord when I got it. I commuted in this car for almost 8 yaers now. The power was & is still present, the milage also terrific (I got 420mi to a tank). It had a few more minor electrical quirks than previous accords I owned such as passenger airbag, shifter & headlight going out early. I attributed this to being a more complicated car than other Hondas put out at the time. It has been ultra-reliable as my hectic schedule did not allow but for the bare minimum required maintenance and a car wash monthly. It is largely responsible for me being able to keep that schedule. It only let me down once when the alternator died @90K - something that never happened to my Hondas before. I cannot stress enough the reliability of this car given the minimum maintenance I gave it. The seats must recieve a compliment too; since I sat in them an average of 1.5 hrs/day: they were soft & plush & never gave me a lower back ache. Luxery was less than its european counterparts but again reliability was a level not attainable by any other make except Toyota!"

None Better

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Regardless of price, I can't think of any other moniker which surpasses this vehicle for value, reliability, comfort, durability, style, servicability, and resale value - this Accord has it all! I'm atill pleased that, with a V6 and auto tranny, and a 'mid-size' (3,500 lb. +) configuration, that in 'real-world' (overall) driving, I'm getting between 23 and 25 mpg - and as high as 32 mpg on the highway. The 3.0 V6 is pure pleasure - gobs of power to spare (floor the pedal, and the front tires will 'spin', and as the tach approaches 'redline', there's a low but pleasant 'growl' of 'authority' as VTEC 'kick in' and you pass everything else!), incredibly smooth, tranny shifts are barely detectable (it is, after all, an Acura-based engine). Typically Honda, everything has that 'just right' look and feel - and exhumes 'quality' with every touch, feel, and sound. Finest vehicle around for ergonomically correct controls and placement. This is my fourth Accord ('86 LXi hatchback was the first) and I'm sold for life on Honda! After 168,000 miles, all works as if the day it was new, and I've spent less than $1,500 in maintenance/repairs. Highly reccomend this nameplate to anyone - regardless of price class. Maintain it properly, and it won't 'break'!"

Nice car

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"This car handles well and honda makes the most reliable car on the market. I bought my car new and have never had anything wrong with it. I would never buy anything but a honda. I get 32mpg highway with the car...it's incredible"

Fantastic vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I bought this vehicle in April of 2006 and since then I have put 30,000+ miles on it. I have never had any problems with it. Very dependable. It really does keep its value. It is a very very smooth ride. I have the V6 Vtech so it is really quick and zippy. About 23 miles to the gallon. not the best but it's worth it. i highly recommend this vehicle to anyone. It is a comfortable ride and great for long trips as well."

15 years of reliabilty

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, reliable, affordable, low maintenance"

Cons: "Oil filter a little hard to get to"

"Still has original rear brakes, muffler. Car has never failed to start, except when battery failed. Changed, all 4, motor mounts (only one was bad) at about 160,000 mi. Only routine maintenance (Timing belt/water pump @100,000 mi.) Rates as good as my previous 1990 Camry (244,000 mi) and present Altima (47,000 mi). I will keep Accord as backup car. It is worth way more than its $2700 value."

Love this car - a Honda man henceforth!

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Price, fun ride, reliability and CHEAP to maintain"

Cons: "PAINT IS BAD"

"Bought at 150k from a dealer neighbor. He gave me a spectacular deal ($3k). The paint of course, was not good, having been stored outside. All I've ever had to do to this car in 2 years was spend $50 and 8 hours on matching spray paint, got a set of 40k tires, changed the oil every 3k miles, except now I'm on synthetic 5w-20, flushed the radiator, changed the cap, changed the cabin air filter, got a new air filter, did the plugs and wires and PCV, bought a new battery... all that normal maintenance. NEVER EVER have I had any trouble with it whatsoever. Except I did have a broken front engine mount (a $13 part and 3 hours personal hardship for a job the dealer wanted $280 for). Not knowing exactly the maintenance that had been done at the big intervals, and knowing I want my car to last me for 3 years during law school with no major problems, I just changed the valve cover gasket, water pump, timing belt, PS/ac belt, tensioners, etc etc. Basically everything that can be easily reached while doing the timing belt. This car is the most reliable, best deal I've ever encountered; I wouldn't take $4k for it now and will cry when I get my first job in a firm and have to give it up. Except for the paint, this car is a 10+."

Great Experience in all catagories

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "Wonderful ride/dependable/great mileage"

"Great car -- I have done all the scheduled maintenance and had one $450.00 repair in 12 years, 28-30 miles per gallon, will get up and go when needed and not hard on tires."

Great Car!

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "I wish I could fit three carseats in it."

"I have owned this car for 9 years and it has been the best car. It has never had any major issues and anything small, like a sensor, Honda has always replaced for FREE. I would highly recommend this car and Honda products. I am sad to sell it but I can't fit three car seats in the back."

Typical Honda!! Very reliable very dependable

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "Runs Great, looks great"

Cons: "could stand new paint but not necessary"

"I have owned 3 Honda Accords in the past. I can't afford them new so I keep purchasing a newer model every few years. I have now purchased one 3 years newer and looking to sell this one. It runs great and still looks good. few dings in the paint but it is a 16 yr old car that runs perfect."

Great first car

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "great on gas, reliable"

Cons: "aging"

"This was my first and only car. Usually a teenagers first car is not the best but this Honda got me everywhere! Only issues I had where my transmission which I didn't have to pay for to be replaced. The check engine light stays on constantly but I think that's more because the car is old. The heat and a/c work perfectly."