1998 Honda Accord

Based on 1714 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

10yrs plus with this Honda

By on Monday, January 30, 2012

Pros: "Doesnt Break down easy, Dependable"

"Im able to drive long distance without any problems with the car itself. MPG is really good for being an older car. We drive this car average of five plus hours daily...this is an amazing car. Perfect for family its very reliable, seats 5 comfortably. Worth every penny, its lasted a long time!"

Great Car !Saved my life

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

"Was hit the on the driver passanger door & rear by a flat bed tractor trailor truck twice & crossed 3 lanes of trafic & hit guard rail. Only bruces. Insurance would not total it so we had it fixed & I'm still driving it 10 years later. Drives just as good as it did new. Had bought for 5 star safty & v6. Both have paid off. Drives Great ! Planning on keeping it until it falls apart. So far only regular maitance required. No major work done at all. I still enjoy driving it! Drive it everywhere I go. I had no idea that I would still love it after this many years."

Good But Not Great

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2008

"I bought my Accord new in 1999, after many years of owning GM products because I was looking for a more reliable car. My chief complaints about my GM vehicles were that they always leaked engine fluids, required lots of maintenance and they always rusted before reaching 100K miles. My Accord now has 102K miles and the engine runs like new without any leaks! Unfortunately, I have had problems with body rust on the inside of the rear fender wells on both sides. This cost me $800 in body work repairs in 2007. I have also been disappointed with the general level of maintenance required with my Honda. I have had to obtain repairs to the pollution control system (very expensive), brakes, replace the battery and alternator, replace the radio due to defective CD unit, rear window defroster and a number of other items. This is in addition to the normal required maintenance schedule. Admittedly, my expectations have been high for a Honda, but I don't drive my cars hard so there shouldn't be a lot of problems. Overall, given the price of the car I would say that the car has been a tremendous value, but it has certainly has not lived up to the low maintenence reputation for which Honda has become known."

best first car

By on Friday, February 25, 2011

"the 98 Honda accord lx is the best starter car i've owned plus very easy 2 maintain and last forever mine has 195,000 miles and more 2 come but if u put a intake and some platinum tip spark plugs and injector cleaning it will run like it came from the factory"

Luv my Honda

By on Sunday, July 8, 2007

"This is a great vehicle, low on maintenance, good comfort. Great acceleration for a 4 cyc, even at highway speeds. The only down fall is the paint on this car, it is of poor quality, as it fades away & losses it's finish. Honda never accept reponsibility for this."

Great car

By on Thursday, July 30, 2015

Pros: "Good gas mileage"

Cons: "Radio issue"

"I've owned this car for five years and, overall, it's been great. I bought it at 60k miles and now it's around 100k. It hasn't needed any emergency maintenance; I bring it to a mechanic every 7000 or 8000 miles and there haven't been any surprises. The only weird thing about it is that it hates the heat - if I have the radio on during the summer (about 80-90 degrees), it will stop playing. Out of all the Accord owners that I know, I'm the only one who has had an issue like this; I bought it with this issue and haven't fixed it yet since it doesn't bother me much. One thing I love about it is that it gets great gas mileage - though it's supposed to get about 25mpg, I regularly get closer to 28 or 29mpg. It's comfortable and drives well, and I'll probably look for another Honda when it's time for me to get a new car."

Honda did it right!

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "It's quiet, fun to drive, dependable, awesome car"

Cons: "REbuilt the tranny at 138,000"

"This is my second 1998 Accord. Except for have the transmission rebuilt at 138,000 (Honda took a short-cut on tranny ion 1998 but corrected it starting with the 2002) the car is maintenance free. Do the oil changes as needed, use NGK spark-plugs and $30 wires (instead of the cheap ones) and the car lasts forever. Mine has 268,000 miles on it. I am thinking of upgrading to a 2002; similar body and style but with 200,000 fewer miles on it."

This car is great and I have very little problems

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Keeps going, great gas mileage, low maint. cost"

Cons: "Blind spots"

"This car is great and I have had very little in problems with it. I would recommend this car. It's like the Ever-ready battery rabbit. It keeps on going. I love this car, it has a lot of get up and go."

I absolutely loved this car!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Reason: Insurance bought it since it was totaled by head on collision

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Reliability,"

"She was my first car and sure it didn't look too fancy, but she was definitely reliable. I had absolutely no problems with her. I reached up to 289k miles without any major problems and the gas mileage was great! I'm now purchasing another Honda since mine was totaled in a head on collision at 70mph. I came out with only minor scratches. Definitely a trustworthy vehicle."

Very Reliable:

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "great price, reliable, clean interior"

Cons: "need 1 wiper blade"

"Just bought this car a year ago, March. Unfortunately I lost my job 6mths later. i've had 2 oil change and it's been parked in my yard since October. Never had to take it to the mechanic."

can't ask for better

By on Friday, November 30, 2012

Pros: "she's a good dependable car"

Cons: "a little rust forming on the back door"

"I bought the car new. At 170,000 the transmission went. Everything else on the car is fine so i had the transmission rebuilt. Car gets 32 Highway and 25 city (4 banger). Original rear breaks, front pad replaced twice. With regular maintenance, this car will keep running for several more years."

Great car for Students !

By on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pros: "cheap fix, Gas mileage, Interior, exterior"

Cons: "Transmission, SRS light,"

"I have owned my 2001 4dr accord ex for 6 months. When I bought it the transmission went out at 136000 and I got it completely rebuilt for 1800. 1200 for labor and 600 in parts. Other than that the car hasn't failed me yet everything is still in good condition . The motor feels really strong. I feels like it has more acceleration than other accords and I was told it is because its a ulev vtec motor. Keeping the maintnence up and waiting to see how long it lasts me. It also has the SRS light on and I heard its another commen thing on this car. Overally I think this is a very good car."

Reliable Car

By on Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Dependable, Holds Value"

"I purchased this car new and have had absolutely no problems with it during my 12 years of ownership. I never strayed from the regular service schedule (okay, I was a little neurotic and got my oil changed sometimes at 4k miles instead of the recommended 7k). I have spent nothing more on it than regular maintenance. I am sad that I have to part with this car because I have outgrown it now that I have children. I have had an amazing run with this car and have nothing but positive reviews for it. When I first purchased this out of college my plan was to "run it into the ground" but it has outlived me instead! It performs just like the first day I drove it out of the dealership."

Good Car

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "Pretty Reliable"

Cons: "Paint discolors over time."

"I bought my 02 Accord brand new in 2001. Thinking this is a brand new "Honda"I almost rejected purchasing an extended warranty. I'm glad I did because the transmission went out. The warranty saved me a lot of money. Other than that, the car has been reliable and the body style is timeless. People are always asking me if I want to sale it. I plan on driving this car until the wheels fall off. I have approx 194,000 and we're still going strong."

I could not be more pleased with a car..

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "great price, very reliable, low maintainance"

Cons: "-"

"This car is so low maintainance. It still has all the power of a v6 at 230,000 miles and has awesome gas mileage. This is my second accord and surely not my last. I could not ask for a better car or more reasonable price. I have hardly had to put any money in repairs into this car."

My 3rd Accord since age 15, LOVE THEM!

By on Sunday, December 27, 2009

"There is one guy on here who keeps leaving bad reviews for this car, you know it's him, because he can't spell (the same words.) It is true there were some re-calls on these trannys. But not ALL of them are bad. And we all know, if you routinely maintenance your honda they will run FOREVER. (EX: change oil like your supposed to) My 01 Accord I bought in April, got home to realize mine did have a faulty tranny. Took to Honda dealership, sure enough, it was going bad. Called guy I bought from, he found warranty, had went out 3 weeks before selling to me. Thought I was just totally screwed. My uncle has an import shop and told me to call Honda headquarters because they care about their customers. Happy to report Honda put in a BRAND NEW tranny just to keep me happy with their products. If that isn't a company who cares about their customers, I don't know what is. My car runs like a dream (like all my hondas have) and for the way they treated me, I will ALWAYS stand behind Honda. ALWAYS. You can't go wrong with a Honda!!! -Shelly from Tulsa"

Ok it has 300000 miles on it by far the best car

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"This car is the best I have ever owned. My first car was a 1951 ford just to give you some idea of how long I have been driving. This Honda is very reliable the tranny west out at 101K miles had it replaced about 10 years ago. Just maintenance since, the change oil every 3K and just try to maintain it. I bought a new 2012 ford certified fusion for my wife so far so good. I just purchased a 2013 Impala LTZ certified for myself want to keep and fix the old Honda bot we can't have 3 cars in a 2 person family. God I hate to see that car go but the time has come just hope the 2 new ones are half as good."

Fantastic car

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, excellent handling, great sound, classic"

Cons: "Side mirror location"

"Absolutely wonderful, comfortable, economical car. Not one problem with it the whole time I have owned it"

Good vehicle, very satisfied.

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

"I have not had any major problems with my 2001, V6, Honda Accord EX-L. Alloy wheels It has run well, very comfortable riding with great suspension, very quite engine. It has a 6 CD changer, cassette tape deck and AM, FM radio."

Happy Honda Owner

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "excellent quality/value for a reasonable price"

Cons: "somewhat difficult to access the back seat"

"My 2000 Honda Accord coupe has been the best car I have ever driven. From the moment I sat in the driver's seat, I have been impressed with it's comfort and driving ease. I appreciate the stylish body of the coupe. It's a fun car to drive, responsive when you need it to be. I have always felt safe in my Accord.The only reason I am selling this vehicle after 14 years of driving pleasure is that I need four doors now. I have grandchildren and would greatly appreciate an easier way of utilizing the back seat! It's a tight squeeze, especially for adults, to access the back seat, although comfortable once you sit down."

Love my Honda !!!

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "low maint., great engine"

Cons: "poor quality paint job for 1999 models"

"I got this a Honda accord DX 1999 with less than 50k miles on it. Overall great running car. Had transmission replaced cannot say for sure if I cause this problem as I had to use it like a cop car shifting gears back and forth once. I can say that I do know of two others that had transmission problems as well with their Honda's other makes. Kept good basic maintenance on car with oil changes and a product suggested to me called Lucus. This is an oil stabalizer used with oil changes.The engine ran very well ;some time I would get in the car running and attempt to start it up again because engine was so quite.. Once the car started randomly shutting down like it had some sort of electrical problem. This was corrected with replacing some plastic part within the starter; once corrected no more problems. The problem with this year (99) car is the paint job was lousy. My car look like acid has been poured on the top, hood and wear beginning to show on doors. I've seen and talked to others with the same identical paint problems. With my rack and pinion for power steering just replaced and four brand new tire guest what?. Car was totaled. I found the value to replace parts because the car on average was not a problem and engine still sound great. Loved My Honda . RIP !!!"

The most reliable car I ever owned!

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "reliability, service expenses, size, comfort"

Cons: "MPG, outdated design, engine performance"

"I bought this car used from a well maintained environment. All receipts, maintenance was performed by the same Honda dealership. I was confident to take her over with 105K miles in it. I drove an additional 80K miles with the car and kept maintaining by Honda. Compare to other brands Honda dealerships are not that expensive. Oil change with coupons below $30 so why take it anywhere else. I recently changed the timing belt, plugs, wires and valve adjustment and it slides like when I bought the car. The looks are getting outdated so I always play with the idea the upgrade my car, than I realize I drive it till the end whatever! If you can track the maintenance on the car, see the entire history this is the car to buy. Buy it from a matured owner and you will get a vehicle that will take you up to 300K miles. They had a major recall on the transmission and there is a chat on the blogs about it but I never experienced anything bad so far. Of course I change the transmission oil in every 30K miles!"

great auto!!

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

"I've owned 5 of this model automobile. All have been great except that the need to replace the timing belt at a certin milage is an awful thing. After replacing it on my last Accord, we had oil leaks constantly and had to get rid of it beacuse it wasn't safe to take on a long trip. It had very little trade-in value even though we bought the same model again!! That's been my major complaint on each car. Otherwise, the've been great"

I Love this car

By on Monday, July 2, 2012

Pros: "Suspension, Controls, Dependability"

"I have the 2000 Honda Accord EX V6 (Signet Silver) I bought this car used in 09, This is my first car and i have had it for 3 years now. It is very dependable for me to travel in going to college (Highway 120 mile trip). My leaher seats are still in perfect condtion (no cracks). And i love that it does not have a antennae (easy for car wash), it has satelite radio but not XM radio and GREAY suspension. I have steering wheel controls to my radio, and garage opener controls. It really offers a lot for a vehicle it's age. I would would recommend this car to anyone for a first vehicle!"

Great Old car!

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, decent performance and great milea"

Cons: "Nothing noted"

"My car is a 2000 EX, MT with 160K miles. Owned since new and after 12 years, the car still drives great. It has some small scratches here and there, but overhall looks good for a car of that vintage. The single most expensive cost of ownership of this car has been tires. I have been running Bridgestone Potenza's, since I removed the original Michelin's 140K miles ago. Replaced battery 3 times, timing belt, water pump, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, several oil changes (every 3K)replaced brakes at 110K miles (still had significant pad remaining). Original suspension, alternator, starter, clutch. Car has been great. I have been looking for something to replace it with, but how can you replace a car that is soooo dependable and fuel efficient (35MPH hwy). I'm going to look at the 2013 Accord, but I'm not sure I want to part with $30K, just to have a new car."