1996 Honda Accord

Based on 818 Ratings for the 1994 - 1997 models.

1997 Honda Accord, Manual...$1000

By on Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Pros: "Working well"

Cons: "No power locks or windows, some scratches"

"Unleaded gas, 24 miles/gallon, good condition, AM/FM radio, Honda check every 3000 miles, last check excellent and kept up to date, new exhaust pipe. Drives well and I drive it to work daily. Have all papers of upkeep."

My Favorite Car

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Reliability"

Cons: "Rust"

"I purchased this car used in 2003 for $4,500 with 54,000 miles on it. The woman I purchase it from told me that it was her "favorite car" but that her husband purchased a new car for her every ten years. I'd had a lot trouble with my previous used cars. At the time, I was looking for something to last me the next 4 or 5 years. It is now 2014 and I still drive my Accord every day. This car has outperformed all of my expectations and I love driving it! The only major downside is the rust; the majority of the repairs and replacements I have had to make are due to rust and I can take it through a carwash in fear that I am going to lose a piece or two. The interior is in great condition though a few lights have gone out on the dash and the radio takes a while to tune in... AC still blows cold, engine keeps going. Progressive styling (for 1994) hides it's true age. Still very comfortable for long road trips. Handles alright on ice with snow tires. I am no longer a poor student and can afford a new vehicle but I can't let go of a car that has served me so well."

Like the Everready Bunny

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Transmission, reliability, maint, driving in snow."

Cons: "Exterior rust-proofing."

"My 1st Honda Accord, and probably not my last. Starts up the 1st time every time. During this past winter was my car of choice (FWD) to take it through the ice/snow; no problems. Has 232K+ miles however, feels like it's ready for another 100K (proper maintenance always a plus). I've noticed that there is a rust issue on these cars around the passenger exterior wheel well area; plan on fixing that issue myself when the warmer weax arrives. Not very fast on initial acceleration however, maintains quality/necessary speed after approx 5 seconds (50-60 MPH). Gas mileage is average to slightly above avg for this make, model, and year. Xmission still runs very smooth however, evident that it's not of new shifting condition. Passenger tie rod replacement due in the near future; I may take it on or just have my mechanic resolve. Overall, very happy with the 96 Accord LX. Would definitely purchase again."

A really great car

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "Excellent value, keeps on going!"

"This car just keeps on going! It's awesome. And great mileage. Roomy enough in both front and back. Not too large overall, a problem with some newer model years. Not luxurious but very workable and comfortable. Great sized and easy to access trunk. Love all the window glass--Honda has streamlined new 2013 models and taken away too much of the glass. I like seeing all the way around! Only have one glitch that is a problem in coastal climate winters- so I think is a problem for just this car, not the whole model year. --windows fog up inside and it takes turning on the air conditioner to get them clear, the heater defroster takes too long. This model year should be used as a baseline. Easy to maintain inside. Looks a little worn outside but just hard to give up a real winner."

I should have bought two when new

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "grease the wheels lips to prevent Honda rot"

"This has great gas mileage and a large hatch for hauling. the engine revs freely and even with 195mm tires it holds the road great. The interior has held up extremely well considering it is 17 years old. It looks like new except for the driver side factory mat that is worn. The carpeting below the mat is flawless. The only issue is the radio antenna no longer extends fully but still provides excellent reception on both am and fm."

Best Design of 1995

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "reliable, budget friendly, great look"

Cons: "paint faded"

"I'd have to say this car is the most newer looking car of the 90's unlike the boxier older version of the accord this body style is the most timeless. This was my first car and if you compare any other 1995 model from Saturn/Toyota/etc. this one is the best looking for the price. Now that's just the reason I picked it now I'll tell you why I love it this Honda accord is very reliable never has not started for me other than the time I left my lights on 2 weeks after I got it(user error not the cars fault) and I have done most of the scheduled maintenance myself such as changing oil/transmission fluid/coolant/air filter(SAVES SO MUCH MONEY). I got the ex which came with the moon roof(which for my first car I didn't think it was a big deal but in the summer with my music up and my moon roof open WOW! good times). Only con I'd say is being 16 years old now the paint is chipping in some areas but I plan on getting her a paint job b/c i plan on having her for another 5 years at least. but all in all for a girls first car its awesome b/c you won't be embarrassed b/c it actually looks newer than you would think and for a guy its good b/c its a good car to start caring for with a low budget or for anyone that wants a car that will get you to A B C D E and F and back again. When I do have to retire the 95' I hope the newer accords will be just as good"

Dependable, Reliable, Great Vehicle! Love it!

By on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pros: "Great mileage, safe, dependable"

Cons: "I need to have the rear leather seats repaired!"

"Love this car, bought new in 1996, always took it to the dealership for all maintenance. Thankfully bought an extended warranty because at 500 miles before it expired in 2003, I needed a new transmission. Saved me a bundle of money so I don't know if I'd feel the same now had I not gotten that warranty. This car is great and a perfect one to hand down or purchase for a 16 year old. It has 258,000 miles on it, runs like a dream. When you look at the price of new cars, I don't mind spending the money to keep this one running a while longer."

Great car for the long haul

By on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"I bought this car 4 years ago when I needed a new car in a pinch for less than $3,000 and had great gas mileage (I was moving to Chicago and would be traveling to Ohio a lot). I worked as a photojournalist for 3 years and drove a lot of miles everyday, this car stood up to the test for the most part. I drove 60,000 miles on it in the past 4 years (it is not at 160,000) and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. I had to replace a lot of parts (battery, struts, etc) but it's an older car so it's expected. I would highly, highly recommed this car to new drivers or anyone traveling a lot. Not a ton of space, I tried two carseats in the back with my friend's two kids and it was way crowded. Good for a single person, or maybe a couple without too many suitcases. The storage is okay, but the cupholders are not desirable at all. The leather on the side where the auto car windows/locks are started to peel and can't be replaced because it's older."

All around A great Car

By on Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"I have a 95 Honda Accord LX sedan with a 4 cylinder engine. I don't know that I will ever depart ways with this car. Currently I have a little over 214,000 miles on this engine, the most miles I have ever recorded on a car. The odometer had to be replaced at about 170,000 and now my "new" odemeter records 43,000. And the front end drive axil had to be replaced but this is expected. After a $1200 bill, your back in business. The key to longevity with any car is routine oil changes, maintenance and drive the car with care. Avoid the potholes, as they will tear up the alignment. I bought this car used with about 30k miles and have owned it for about 14 years. I've owned other Hondas and had reluctently sold them, and then wanting them back. One was an '82 Prelude. This is one car that is not for sale ever. I have another 83,000 miles to put on the engine before I reach what others have stated they have to bring mine to 300,000 miles. Hondas are built to take the miles with fuel efficiency."

Great Car for the value

By on Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"I bought my 1994 Honda Accord DX more than fourteen years ago....very reliable and great looking car too. It has a very low mileage under 60,000 (I'm not kidding) and only been driven to work and errands for the most part...that explained why the mileage is so UNBELIEVABLY LOW. Always have it serviced at the dealer for schedule maintenance until this year, I'm just having my local mechanic to service it to save some money. My only regrets after hearing all the positive testimonals from all loyal Accord's owners, is that I haven't driven my 94 Accord for a truly long distance road trip...well, I'm going to try and take her for a long long drive this summer to Bloomington, IN. I'm confident that she will keep up with me and keep on running for many more years to come."