1998 GMC Safari Passenger

8.1

Based on 154 Ratings for the 1995 - 2005 models.

Poor mechanics, good useability

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"Bought this vehicle new in 2000, outfitted with AWD and a limited slip differential in the back. As I tow a small 14 foot boat and utility trailer I wanted something that could easily handle it and set the vehicle up to do so. In the first year I replaced the rear axle, transfer case. By the end of year two, I replaced the lower oil pan gasket, cooler line, water pump twice. All covered under warranty, By now, I have 110,000 miles and have replaced the rear axel bearings (not uncommon with this GMC axel), oil cooler line three times. Remainder of repairs (battery, tires, brakes) I expect at this mileage. I only tow about 15 times a year so the vehicle is not used to tow too much. This vehicle is pampered as it goes in every three months for oil change and all other maint. The inside and ride are outstanding, it does have the room to hold adults, cargo and it tows well. I have had no engine issues. The oil, cooler line is still an issue, only an incompetent designs a line that starts as hard tubing connects to rubber then back to hard tubing than back to rubber and then puts it on the bottom of a vehicle. The extreme temperatures we experience are sure to spell ruin for a line with that many compression fittings and it has. The line usually lasts about two years before it starts to leak. As I believe this may be part of the towing package,, it may not be relevant to ones that do not have that package. I did expected better in reliability(especially from the drivetrain) from a model that has been out this long."

a mans mini van

By on Thursday, April 23, 2009

"Great van, engine has just enough rumble not to sound wimpy. usual problems, both door handles broke off, fuel pump went out at 161,000 miles. had to replace starter and flexplate at 158,000. been a champ every since, at 170,000 she runs like a top."

Excelent

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "over all it's a great vehicle"

Cons: "transmission"

"I really don't understand why they stop making them.....that's a shame."

Take this on a Safari

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Great reliability seats up to 8"

"This van is rock solid. It has a strong 4.3 V6. I love the split doors in the back. I can load anything I want. Moves the family with no problems. It will tow almost anything. It's a great truck for hauling the family around town or out of town. The engine and transmission is great. I get better gas mileage than our previous Windstar or Town and Country. (Which was a over priced Caravan.) I would suggest the Safari/Astro van,over any other van."

Why did they stop making them

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Affordable price and great family van"

Cons: "none comes to mind"

"I am in the market for a new G.M.C; however, found myself unable to do away with my Safari. Maintenance cost have been low. Very reliable, comfortable leg room. The perfect V6."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching GMC Safari Passenger near Honolulu. See local deals