2000 Ford Taurus

7.8

Based on 1353 Ratings for the 2000 - 2007 models.

Reliable, Practical, Good handling and great value

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, Good MPG for an older V6, Reliability"

Cons: "Suspension a little weak"

Trusty Rusty

"I have had two Taurus's. Neither have ever given me a single issue. I have 175,000 miles of trouble free driving on my 02 SE. People complain about the transmission but they don't change the fluid and filter like you're supposed to. I have done that every 30k miles and haven't had an issue on either. My last one died at 180k miles when it was totaled. It is missed every day. This car always starts even well below 0 degrees (F) nothing rattles, interior build has held up since new. Only down side I can think of is these cars have weak struts. Other than that, if you change the transmission fluid like you should, you'll have one of the most reliable cars built."

Trusty Rusty

Drives great and pretty reliable

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "drives like a caddy"

Cons: "heater core"

"The car has been great; my mom's owned it for 7-8 years. The only problems we've really had are (1) the heat going out (Tauruses are notorious for this), and (2) a slight coolant leak. Other than that, we've had NO problems with it. My mom will more than likely run this car until the wheels fall off."

Best overall vehicles

By on Sunday, February 20, 2011

"I'm now driving my 2007 for more than 3 years. I've had 4 taurus's, 2 at once , mine and wife, great cars. Had 00,05,06, and now my 07, No major problems. Wouldn't even consider another vehicle."

By on Friday, January 15, 2010

"I bought my 2001 taurus new and drive my cars forever. This car has been pretty good. The brakes have never been a good design on this car and wear fast with poor rotors. I now have 200000 miles on it and had to replace the transmission. Luckily i found a good used one for only 500.00 and then paid 500.00 to install. Overall good cheap transportation. Weak spots on the car are brakes and struts. Some have had bad luck with transmission but I'll take the 200,000, thankyou very much. Nice job Ford and good for you."

good value

By on Sunday, September 28, 2008

"Bought used 25,000 miles a year ago. Good car for under 10K! Nice style from most angles. Decent Vulcan V6 power and smoothness. Tranny not as smooth as engine, but okay. Extra low 1st gear aids quick takeoffs but would be smoother without. Cheap plasticinterior but solid enough. except for passenger door trim in the middle which I had to super-glue on. Had drivers door not want to latch closed when very cold out, but extra grease helped. Throttle cable needs periodic lube or feels "sticky" on pedal. Too new to have these things. Radio/cd player has good design, and works well, but speaker sound is mediocre for an '05. Handling is pleasant and accurate but not sporty. Springs are a little soft and "bouncy" over hard bumps. Interior is quiet and engine noise is quiet at all speeds. Actually makes a better sound when using E85, though maybe because it is using more fuel, or it likes the octane. Makes the old 4-barrel carb. sound on the E85 at full throttle. Anyone else noticed this? (I actually like it.) Gets 22 mpg with gas and 18 on E85, even when driving smooth and 60 mph. Dash computer is handy. Does not like to start 1st try when cold out on E85. Takes 2 0r 3 times to stay running when cold out. Even a little bit of gasoline added to the mix in the tank eliminates this, though I don't know why. My Chrysler van doesn't do that. I like the look of the car-looks more stylish than the price would suggest. Stock Continental tires are bland, and I think the handling would be helped by better tires. But a good value of the money."