2017 Ford Fusion Energi Consumer Reviews

147 transactions
in the last 90 days
within the U.S.
Transaction Data

This meter represents a sample range of recent transaction prices for vehicles of the same year, make and model as the vehicle specified, but sometimes with a different style and/or equipment. Analyzed transaction prices exclude taxes, DMV fees, documentation fees, other dealership charges and any available rebates or incentives.

10/8.4

Based on 39 Ratings for the 2013 - 2018 models.

Handles well, comfortable, and love that MPGe.

By on Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Pros: "Good value, comfortable, and love the mileage."

Cons: "Trunk space is limited."

"Perfect car for the mission. We commute between 60 and 120 miles per day and have averaged 100 MPGe. We get 40-45 MPG on long trips and have a range of almost 600 miles. We are filling up every 3-4 weeks. Handles really well and is very comfortable to drive. The sound system works well and the clarity of the phone is outstanding. The interior is very nice and we feel the car is a good value. We are both very pleased with this car."

Fusion Energi Mixed Bag- Rides great -Overpriced

By on Friday, June 23, 2017

Reason: Expensive Car- Electricity is Expensive

Pros: "Comfy, fully loaded, good excelleration"

Cons: "Only 14 -15 miles per charge, Wears out tires fast"

"So there were two big drawbacks which I felt made this car overpriced and not a good value.. How many miles you get on a full charge and wear/tear costs.. 1) It is really important to understand with any electric vehicle what you get for your charge. For the 2014 Ford Fusion I would charge from 11 pm to 7am at lowest PGE rate and I got about 14-15 driving Miles on a full charge (10cents per kilowatt, 12 Kilowatts for full charge 1.20 per night;I did not charge any other time as its cheaper to fill car with gas ). When I did not charge the car the real GAS MPG is 35-36 MPG (hybrid). ...People who are getting 70-88 MPGe are plugging this car in more than once a day, and it is costing them more in long run to operate than by just filing car with gas. 2) Another huge drawback is I wore through a set of tires in 30,000 miles..(original set rated at 60K miles) I am a moderate driver and drive both city and highway miles.. My best guess is tires wore out faster because the car is heavier than a typical Sedan, (Batteries are heavy). Few other things to be aware of before you buy this car....1) really small trunk because of batteries..you are gonna want to get a hitch kit or roof rack to carry more stuff. 2) the front lower bumper is constantly hitting the ground no matter how slow I went in and out of driveways or over speed bumps..3) Engine was really working hard once charge runs out..4) Heating and A/C all run off the charge. The pluses on the car 1)a 4 year carpool lane sticker, which I got to use for 3 years.. 2) fully loaded Titanium model which has all the bells and whistles, leather seats, hands free operation..back up camera..very quiet, premium sound..etc.. great to drive. 3) the hybrid has great off the line punch because of the electric 4) Felt like car handles really well 5) roomy back seat. Overall, I drove car for 45,000 miles.. I had no mechanical breakdowns and dealer dealt with recall items when I took car in for oil changes. .. I know most of the people who rated this car loved it and I can see their point of view but I really think when you look at the value at time I bought the car the extra 10k for the plugin was not worth it..And probably not worth it today either when buying the car used.."

Very surprised!

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "MPGE! Comfort, sound system (Titanium), visibility"

Cons: "Cost"

"I was skeptical of the 100 Mpge rating seen on the sticker, but the car seemed to fit our lifestyle to a tee. In the manual it says not to bother tracking mileage until you reach about 2000 miles. Who would buy a plug-in hybrid and wait that long? So far, we are realizing an overall average of 60.15 mpge! Before you draw any conclusions I will detail our 2000 miles. The first 3 fill-ups were after significant (200-300 mile) road trips at 60-75 mph. 1st there was the road trip home after the purchase - 45.3 mpge. The road trip to see friends - 38 mpge. The road trip to see family (about 30% commute miles on this fill-up) - 53.17 mpge. This last tank of fuel has been all commute miles and running around town. I would estimate that we have about 5% hwy driving on this tank. We are getting 98.71 mpge! To put that in perspective; We have about 1/3 tank of gas remaining (14 gallon tank) and we have driven 899 miles on 2/3 of a tank of gas, or approximately 9 gallons. AMAZING! We elected to hold out for the Titanium trim and I have no regrets about that at all. I would personally beware of any salesman trying to sell a fully loaded SE trim instead of the Titanium. There is a big difference that you have to experience for yourself. With that said, the car is very comfortable and easy to drive. The safety features are easy to get used to; Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keeping, etc. Looks-Well, lets just say that I don't believe there is a better looking plug-in hybrid out there. Sorry Prius guys, but your little elongated VW Bug looks like a cookie cutter compared to the style of the Fusion. Charging is simple and doesn't take as long as mentioned by Ford. With the supplied 120v charger, you can go from 0 to full charge in about 5 hrs. It would be nice to have 2 chargers, but they're too expensive for me. I do not have time to write anymore, but if you are on the fence about one of these cars it is worth it to consider it in the Titanium trim."

Luxury feel, great efficiency, and great drive.

By on Monday, June 12, 2017

Pros: "Options, efficiency, size."

Cons: "Trunk space, hills."

"A little background on what I was looking for in a car: Recently having gone from a commute of 2 miles to one of 25 miles I wanted a car that was comfortable, had a full safety suite, and would be great on gas mileage. Lets talk about the mileage first. For a midsize car, the Energi absolutely delivers. The electric portion is rated at 21 miles, and Id say I typically see about 20 electric miles, but in practical use that makes a huge difference. 20 of 25 miles electric to work, charge, and its electric 20 of 25 back. Charge at home and then it often goes another 40 miles at night, half of which is electric again. Its hard to judge if its meeting its 40-42mpg EPA rating as a hybrid, but Im guessing its probably close. The tradeoff to this is of course performance at times. Here is where a few of my minor gripes come in that drop this from a 10 overall to a 9. Most of the time I have no issues, but going up a decent hill, especially on the highway you will feel or really more hear the car really struggle to make the climb. In EV mode the car has acceptable pickup from about 0-25, but then has a noticeably slow climb from 25-60. In addition the tires seem optimized for fuel and not grip, meaning under hard ICE acceleration or in wet conditions they slip a little more liberally than I would like. If I could fine tune this care it would be to give up 1-2mpg for just a tad more power and a different set of tires. Given that the car is bigger and can be better equipped than the Prius Prime, and you certainly get more bang for your buck then a Chevy Volt, I have no complaints about the 21 electric miles as compared to ~25 and 52 from the other smaller cars. One last note on performance, on my first test drive I noted that the brakes were very touchy. When I later narrowed my search down to two finalist cars I did an extended test drive mainly to focus on this issue and decided I could learn them. Within a week of owning the car I wasnt even thinking about it anymore, so dont let the brakes throw you off from considering the car. One often noted complaint about the car is the lack of trunk space. Personally, I have not found it restrictive yet, but can certainly see where it would be, especially for a bigger family. A few bags after shopping is no problem, and I regularly haul a large (but flexible) hockey bag full of gear with no problem. My biggest issue is the way the space is shaped would prevent even a single decent sized checked bag from fitting in. However the seats do fold down allowing for long items to pass through or for bigger items to be transported on the back seats. Moving into the cabin is where I think the Fusion really shines. Having two person memory for the seats and mirrors was a huge feature missing in many comparable midsize hybrids or smaller EVs. Being the full efficient car we wanted to drive most often its crucial to easily get comfortable when we get in. GO times when plugged in means the car is always heated or cooled when we get in for normal trips, and remote start via fob or app means it is ready in other circumstances as well. I have a Titanium with every option except assisted park, and I love the features, even if their cost is what costs the Fusion its value score. Base models are a great value, but adding on all the options can quickly make the price raise at a rate that seems slightly excessive. Seats are comfortable and there is plenty of room for bigger drivers up front. Back seats perhaps lack a tiny bit of headroom for any really tall guests, but there should be legwork abound for everyone. Having cooled seats for the first time is amazing, and Im thrilled a friend talked me into being sure those were included. The adaptive cruise control is amazing for the half of my commute that is highway, and especially for weekend or longer trips. Even on low the pre-collision alert might be a tad sensitive, but better safe than sorry, and you will absolutely know when it goes off. Lane keep assist, and blind spot monitoring are fantastic safety features as well. Automatic high beams and automatic wipers are great touches as well. Finally, sound and infotainment. As an audiophile with 2000+ CDs I was happy to see the Fusion Energi still had a CD player, and absolutely thrilled with how they sounded. The Titaniums Sony Sound system is fantastic for car stock, and you should not be turned off just because it doesnt have a fancy Harmon Kardon or Bose title. This paired with amazing noise cancelling technology makes listening to music in the cabin a joy, even at highway speeds. Below 40mph the cabin is eerily quiet. The controls and screen are easy to operate and the stock Sync system gives Android Auto a run for its money as far as what I prefer to use. Perhaps the only major change they need here is to give the heated steering wheel a proper button on the dash. The only glitch Ive encountered is that with both Sync and Android Auto, sometimes when using voice commands or making/receiving calls the system will reset the CD track Im currently playing back to the beginning. On a three minute song this is an annoyance, on a 25 minutes song its infuriating, especially with the seek feature only going at a slow pace, not gaining speed the longer you hold it like you will see on most systems. Still, I understand Im a dinosaur and this likely wont affect most people. I was also somewhat disappointed when I called my Ford dealer and was basically told there was nothing that could be done, with no real attempt to solve the issue. If you want a great plug-in hybrid with great comfort and a good size, youve come to the right place. If you want to pay a premium and get a luxury car feel, youre still doing well. If you arent ready to give up a heavy lead foot quite yet, well, chances are this segment isnt what youre looking for anyway. As someone who researched about a dozen cars in leading up to this purchase Im thrilled with the decision I made and would recommend the Fusion to a lot of buyers."

Best Plug-in Sedan

By on Thursday, October 27, 2016

Pros: "Fun to Drive, HOV Lane Access, Cool Interiors"

Cons: "Trunk Size, Less Electric Miles, No Navigation"

"I have owned this car for about a month now. Plug-in range during first couple of weeks was 19 miles at full charge. Now this has improved to 24 miles in last couple of days. I am hoping this will improve a bit more. Interiors are well designed. Unlike other Plug-ins estimating the Charge status is visible via the Charging Ring (and myfordmobile app). Takes about 2 hours to completely charge on value charge. Trunk space is less. Ford can improve this area considering the length of the vehicle. Heated Leather Seats on SE model is more than the bargain. Gas Engine is not that smooth when the vehicle switches from EV to Hybrid for sometime. Hybrid range is not impressive. Gives about 38-42 MPGe. Regular Sedans give nearly 34. Toyota prius or Chevy Volt give above 50. Ford Fusion Energi stands out in Passenger seating. 5 Passengers can be seated comfortable (Ample Headroom, Leg room and Shoulder room). We tried Volt and is pretty cramped (seats maximum 4 people) with not much head room. For the price of vehicle (34K) Navigation should be pretty basic feature. But you will have to make an Optional Purchase for that. However they have Turn by Turn directions by Sync (you need to have a phone that can be called by your vehicle). This is not a reliable feature. Fordpass app and Myfordmobile apps are pretty cool to know and control your car. Doors are sturdy and of high quality (not cheap metal). Music system is awesome. If you were on Bluetooth and connect the phone to USB for charging then Vehicle Entertainment system gets confused and freezes. You will have to restart the entertainment system by Powering Off and On. We like the Aston-Martin style front Grill and vehicle dynamics. Very well balanced and the steering is pretty smooth. Acceleration on EV mode is ok. I could hit 60 miles in less than 6 secs. Best feature is EV Option. Driver can choose EV now or EV later depending on necessity. One of the other features we liked was ability to charge Laptop and multiple other devices at a time. Only drawback is the EV battery gets consumed pretty fast. I can see a difference upto 7 miles when Climate is Turned Off while on EV. Overall there are improvement areas for Ford Fusion Energi but we loved it so far."