2012 Ford Focus

7.1

Based on 553 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

7.3/10
    7.2/10
    7.4/10
    7.5/10
    7.6/10

My first Ford Focus

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, sync, safety ratings"

Cons: "nothing"

"I grew up in a household that only bought other makes and models (chevy,japanese). I love my Ford! I am extremely happy that I choose the Focus over the Corolla and Civic. I believe that Ford has been doing their 100%!! If you are interested in a Ford, GO DRIVE ONE! They drive great! Oh, and by the way its GREAT in the snow!"

worst vehicle I've ever had

By on Friday, September 16, 2016

I don't own this car

Pros: "nice convenience features (but we paid for them)"

Cons: "transmission issues that can't be fixed"

"This vehicle has transmission issues that Ford is aware of and has lowered the bar on what is an acceptable performance level to avoid responsibility. It shudders when starting from a stop and the problem gets more noticeable the longer the vehicle is driven. It has been in for service four times with the initial response being to reset the clutch adaptive learning module, to no effect. The last two service visits haven't even produced an attempt to fix the problem, just a notification that the vehicle performs to Fords specifications. This response is despite the fact that the service rep knows exactly what our complaint is when we tell him what the vehicle is. Thus far, the closest they can come to assuming responsibility is to extend the drive train warranty to 10 years, which accomplishes nothing since they are unable or unwilling to do anything about the vehicles issues. In conclusion, this has been the most unsatisfactory vehicle experience I've ever had (and I had a Pontiac Fiero back in the 70's) and I'm stuck driving a defective vehicle or taking a beating on getting out of the lease. It's probably not appropriate to condemn an entire make of cars based on one terrible experience, but if this is Fords idea of customer service, I wouldn't take the risk of dealing with their next problem that's too big to deal with."

Loving it

By on Friday, July 15, 2011

Pros: "Quality interior, supportive leather seats, My Ford Touch, gas mileage, drives great"

Cons: "Could use one more small storage area up front"

"Finally a small car with excellent gas mileage that has both style and a quality interior. The 6-speed automatic manual transmission has been smooth and flawless and I especially like the Sport mode. The My Ford Touch (MFT) has also performed without error for me. The soft touch material, upscale materials in the Titanium, excellent supportive leather seating, along with driving performance have made the Ford Focus Titanium an successful alternative to pricier semi-luxury vehicles along with improved gas mileage. The hatch, while 7 inches shorter than the Sedan, provides the same interior room and much more versatility when it comes to storage space. I found everything I wanted option wise without having to give up gas mileage to get it and at a substantially lower price. I was initially worried that this car wouldn’t have enough power, but I’ve found the performance of the 160 horsepower engine to me more than adequate when it comes to power. I’m very pleased with my purchase."

Best car in its class

By on Monday, April 7, 2014

"The Good: I have owned the Focus for almost two years. Immediately after buying it, my girlfriend and I took it on a road trip from Ohio to California and back. The car is roomy enough, quiet, gets great gas mileage, is fun to drive, very direct steering and is loaded with features. I perform the regular maintenance myself and have had to do nothing but three oil changes, so my two year cost of ownership is a whopping $120. I average about 34.5 mpg with about 70%/30% city to highway which it well above the EPA estimates. The Bad: I have needed the clutch assembly to be replaced at 18,000 miles (its the auto) but Ford took care of it under warranty. No problems since and from what most are saying now the problem was fixed after seal replacements. Mine was on of the first years in a new revamp, so you have to expect difficulties especially on a new drivetrain. Overall: This has been a great car compared to my 2002 Corolla. It is unbeatable in its class for style, comfort and overall reliability. Do not be afraid of reviews on the automatics, most of the reviews are leftover from when the car was released and the ST stole the show. Take it for a test drive and you will be happy with making the decision of getting yourself one too."

A very good car for commuters

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good sound system, no cheap feel."

Cons: "Lack of storage, a little pricey for a compact car"

"I commute 45 miles each way to work. I needed a car that would get good mileage and be comfortable to sit in for extended periods. The Focus is both of these and much more. I am currently averaging 37 mpg (3 fill ups so far). The front seats are very comfortable, but the driver seat lacks an adjustable lumbar support (in the SE version I own). I use a small towel roll to make up the difference. The car has plenty of power, accelerating and shifting smoothly. The audio system (6 speaker with SIRIUS) is more than adequate for the average audiophile, reproducing wonderful sound. The hand controls on the steering wheel were confusing at first, but now are very convenient and intuitive. The only ammenity that I find lacking in this car is the absence of "cubbies." I have no real good place to put all of my... goodies. The glove box is very spacious. The center console is smallish. The cup holders in front are smallish. The door panels seem to have adequate space. But that is it. Can I live with this small flaw? Absolutely. It the car a blast to drive? You're darn tootin' it is. It handles corners like more expensive BMW's or VW's. It feels substancial and refined, yet nimble. Nothing about this car seems cheep or poorly made. The two words I can say: Buy one!"