2012 Ford Focus

7.1

Based on 544 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

7.3/10
    7.2/10
    7.4/10
    7.5/10
    7.6/10

Fun with very little compromise

By on Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, utility, & sporty, easy on wallet"

Cons: "Occasional squeak"

"I bought my 2014 Focus ST (ST3) barely 3 weeks ago and have already racked up 2400 miles. My longest times behind the wheel for a single trip has been 13 hours and 10 hours respectively. I never felt uncomfortable in the Recaro seats (I'm 5'11 and 210 lbs) and the MyFord Touch system is great for me. I almost exclusively use voice commands for music, navigation and making calls with very few issues. I stated this first because most of the complaints stem from long distance comfort and the radio controls. Driving the car is a blast and even when I hammer on it it won't drop below 23 MPG/city. Driving conservatively in nets 27 MPG, and obeying the highway speed limits gets me a little over 29 MPG. I have yet to get the 32 MPG Ford claims but I wont drive 55 MPH to do it. I have very few complaints so far with this car. Occasionally I will hear a squeak from the dash, but only rarely. If I really want to nitpick, I would like to see the MPH shown on the display between the gauges. You can do this in "test mode" but it's not convenient. That's it. For what it's worth, my other car is a modified 560 HP G8 GT but I actually enjoy drivng the Focus ST more. It's crazy."

Solid with sporty look

By on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pros: "Best in class performance and handling w/ high MPG"

Cons: "Minor, not worth mentioning"

"I was looking for great MPG car with good price, handling and style. I looked at nearly all cars in this class and the Focus was the clear winner. It has BMW like feel with great sticker price and MPG. I got the 5 door for added utility. The SEL provides best value. There are some negative reviews on 6 speed dual clutch auto; however, it adds to MPG and ease of driving and I quickly got used to minor shifting lag, don't notice anymore. May be that I am used to it, but could be improvement with break-in as others have suggested. Minor nits on interior include rear seat that hits front seat when folding down and limited storage upfront."

Only car I ever hated

By on Saturday, April 8, 2017

Pros: "Comfort, appearance, mileage."

Cons: "Disasterous transmission,"

"I have owned cars for more than 60 years and this is the first car I have ever hated. The car is attractive, comfortable, meets or exceeds all EPA mileage guidelines, cruises exceptionally at any highway speed: so why do I Hate it? The transmission is so bad Ford should be ashamed to put it on the market. At very slow speeds (in drive with your foot off the accelerator) in shudders and chatters unbelievably. When accelerating it is like starting up on patchy ice. It feels as if the wheels are slipping and then grabbing on the pavement. When turning a corner or accelerating to pass, it cant settle on a gear so may downshift 3-4 gears at once giving a neck wrenching jolt. Ford has given their dealers info sheets on how to explain the problems with this transmission so they KNOW it is junk. I have been a Ford man for many years and will keep this one until I have gotten a fair amount of use from it: but NEVER again."

worst vehicle I've ever had

By on Friday, September 16, 2016

I don't own this car

Pros: "nice convenience features (but we paid for them)"

Cons: "transmission issues that can't be fixed"

"This vehicle has transmission issues that Ford is aware of and has lowered the bar on what is an acceptable performance level to avoid responsibility. It shudders when starting from a stop and the problem gets more noticeable the longer the vehicle is driven. It has been in for service four times with the initial response being to reset the clutch adaptive learning module, to no effect. The last two service visits haven't even produced an attempt to fix the problem, just a notification that the vehicle performs to Fords specifications. This response is despite the fact that the service rep knows exactly what our complaint is when we tell him what the vehicle is. Thus far, the closest they can come to assuming responsibility is to extend the drive train warranty to 10 years, which accomplishes nothing since they are unable or unwilling to do anything about the vehicles issues. In conclusion, this has been the most unsatisfactory vehicle experience I've ever had (and I had a Pontiac Fiero back in the 70's) and I'm stuck driving a defective vehicle or taking a beating on getting out of the lease. It's probably not appropriate to condemn an entire make of cars based on one terrible experience, but if this is Fords idea of customer service, I wouldn't take the risk of dealing with their next problem that's too big to deal with."

Stay Away From This Car

By on Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pros: "Styling is dead on, Lot's of features for price"

Cons: "Transmission has issues that Ford won't resolve."

"I purchased this 2012 Focus about 3 weeks ago and while it drove nice off the dealer lot after it warmed up and during city driving the car began to shudder when taking off from a stop. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the shudder I was feeling, They contacted Ford and they stated it was normal. How many of you would care to purchase a car that shudders when taking off from a stop and then would you consider it normal? I talked to Ford Customer Service and that was just a waste of a phone call. In a time when we really have to pinch our pennies it just shock's me that a company such as Ford would not offer any assistance to the customer. There is also issues on some with the electronic power steering and people are finding they have to fight hard to get these vehicles fixed. As a new potential owner do you really want to take a chance and hope that you get a good one? Ford stated that thes issues are isloated incidents but yet they turn right around and say it is normal. How can something be a isloated incident and normal at the same time? Ford has lost my business and while this car is very nice in the looks and style department if you have issues after 2 days off the lot and they refuse to fix it I doubt it is really worth owning."

Fun to drive, great gas mileage

By on Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Would like to see a 2.3L 4 cyl. offered"

"Fun to drive, great gas mileage, good styling"

A very good car for commuters

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good sound system, no cheap feel."

Cons: "Lack of storage, a little pricey for a compact car"

"I commute 45 miles each way to work. I needed a car that would get good mileage and be comfortable to sit in for extended periods. The Focus is both of these and much more. I am currently averaging 37 mpg (3 fill ups so far). The front seats are very comfortable, but the driver seat lacks an adjustable lumbar support (in the SE version I own). I use a small towel roll to make up the difference. The car has plenty of power, accelerating and shifting smoothly. The audio system (6 speaker with SIRIUS) is more than adequate for the average audiophile, reproducing wonderful sound. The hand controls on the steering wheel were confusing at first, but now are very convenient and intuitive. The only ammenity that I find lacking in this car is the absence of "cubbies." I have no real good place to put all of my... goodies. The glove box is very spacious. The center console is smallish. The cup holders in front are smallish. The door panels seem to have adequate space. But that is it. Can I live with this small flaw? Absolutely. It the car a blast to drive? You're darn tootin' it is. It handles corners like more expensive BMW's or VW's. It feels substancial and refined, yet nimble. Nothing about this car seems cheep or poorly made. The two words I can say: Buy one!"

Used 2012 Focus SEL Sedan

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "The Interior, Exterior, Radio and Exceleration."

Cons: "Nothing for 5,000 so far."

"I bought the car at the end of October. I got it used and acordding to car facts it was a rental car. I got the car at 32,400 miles and currently have 38,000. I drive 75 + miles a day 7 days a week at times and I honestly love this car. I had a 2006 Toyota Corolla prior to this car and I liked the Toyota but it always felt cramped and like I never had enough power to get on and off the highway. I have had the car for 2 months now with a lot of driving and having people in the back seat regularly. So far I have not had an issue with their not being enoughg room even though one of my friends is 6'3" and had plenty of head room. I love the SYNC system and learned it very qucikly. I do understand where people are coming from with the tranny. But I have not had any issues with it. It accelerates very nicely and has incredible brakes. I love this car and enjoy the leather seats, moon roof,SYNC and it looks like a sports car instead of a gas sipper. I plan to keep it for quite some time and I LOVE this car!!!"

Great little car

By on Thursday, April 30, 2015

Pros: "Easy on gas"

Cons: "No con"

"Like I said great car for the money I have bad back just need something a little higher"

Great car, great value, amazing mileage.

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pros: "lots of torque, fun to drive, comfortable seating."

Cons: "Larger people will leave the rear seats cramped"

"The car doesn't have quite the horsepower as the competitors but it puts the power where it needs it. The 0-60 times are close to the other cars in the category that have over 200hp. The focus does this while being able to get me 40 mpg on highways. Love the car and I have convinced a few friends to opt for the new focus as their next investment."

Manual trans problems

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"The car's been having trouble going into gears. It just fights and grinds all the time. Never had a problem with the car in the first 15k miles, but now it's just nothing but trouble. Ford hasn't been able to fix it."

Best car in its class

By on Monday, April 7, 2014

"The Good: I have owned the Focus for almost two years. Immediately after buying it, my girlfriend and I took it on a road trip from Ohio to California and back. The car is roomy enough, quiet, gets great gas mileage, is fun to drive, very direct steering and is loaded with features. I perform the regular maintenance myself and have had to do nothing but three oil changes, so my two year cost of ownership is a whopping $120. I average about 34.5 mpg with about 70%/30% city to highway which it well above the EPA estimates. The Bad: I have needed the clutch assembly to be replaced at 18,000 miles (its the auto) but Ford took care of it under warranty. No problems since and from what most are saying now the problem was fixed after seal replacements. Mine was on of the first years in a new revamp, so you have to expect difficulties especially on a new drivetrain. Overall: This has been a great car compared to my 2002 Corolla. It is unbeatable in its class for style, comfort and overall reliability. Do not be afraid of reviews on the automatics, most of the reviews are leftover from when the car was released and the ST stole the show. Take it for a test drive and you will be happy with making the decision of getting yourself one too."

Great car for commuting and for road trips!

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "affordable, good mileage, big trunk, stylish, fun to drive"

Cons: "needs a little more room in the backseat, SYNC needs a hearing aid"

"I bought this car for commuting, then found I like to drive it on the weekends also. My wife likes to drive it and I've received many positive compliments from others who see it and admire it. I thought it would get good mileage and I was right. I has been averaging 34 MPG during some bad commute days - two hours each way every work day. It has nice features and a few little quirks. The transmission makes a little noise when shifting at low speeds, but no problems on the freeway. The interior is nice, but a little cramped for adults in the back seat. The trunk is HUGE. The styling is nice. SYNC needs a little work to understand commands - especially when there is road noise. Also, the turn-by-turn navigation just can't keep up when downtown or driving near high-rise buildings -- all minor stuff overall."

Great Vehicle for the Price Range

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, fuel efficent, reliable, cost"

Cons: "Door lock set up, Sony premium sound system"

"First let me start by saying its a very fun car. Has a large amount of torque for a small hatchback. Even though the car is classified as a compact car it has a fair amount of room. I am 5'11" and fit well with room to spare. The Recardo seats are very nice and I find them quite comfortable but I know they are not for everyone, they are made for the driving enthusiast and hug you, not everyone likes that but it's just a matter of preference, you will have to sit in one and judge for yourself. I really only have 2 complaints about the car and they are just because I tend to be, well, picky. First would be the power lock set up, there is one button in the center of the dash to lock and unlock with no manual way to unlock or lock the door (this seems to be more and more common in newer vehicles) I just don't like it, I can't really say anything more about that. The second would be the upgraded Sony sound system, most will probably find it pleasing, it is much better then a standard factory radio but for my taste the sub is lacking and the bluetooth audio doesn't seem to go loud enough, again this is something you will have to listen for yourself, everyone's ears are different and most don't tend to be as picky as mine are when it comes to radios. Otherwise it is a great car, get's decent gas mileage, and has not given me any problems as of yet. I can not stress enough fun, fun, fun car that is economical enough to be used as a daily driver without breaking the bank to fill the tank."

Horrible car!!!

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

"It may sound funny but i have not seen all the complaints until the last couple of weeks. I wish I did before buying this car. I've owned many small ford sedans before, but this has been by far the worst because of its transmission. It's almost embarrassing to drive this car in town. I've had so many problems with the car shuddering and not wanting roll. Strange sounds of clattering and clunking from what sounds like the clutches and heat issues with the transmission. I've made so many complaints and have had many updated and repairs made on this car. I just wish I had bought something different now."

A Little Gem

By on Thursday, January 14, 2016

Pros: "Performance, practicality, price."

Cons: "no windshield darkening on top"

"This is my second Focus ST. The first was a 2013 lease and this is a 2015 lease. I wanted and found a combination of practicality, performance and price in this car. Other hot hatches may have marginally superior performance but with worse mpg, cargo space and price. The ST has the most bang for the buck; it handles like a dream and performs wonderfully. A couple of friends came to visit recently and I had room in the car for them as passengers and their large suitcases as cargo. I have room for materials for many of the projects around my home. The city mpg is good, on the highway very good. If I were to decide to buy it the price with my options (Recaro package)is very reasonable."

Great car, but a few major issues.

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Reason: Moved back to area where I needed 4 wheel drive, had some issues with Focus.

Pros: "A lot for the price, luxurious interior for Ford"

Cons: "Clutch issues ruin everything else"

"Ford did a great job with the redesign of the Focus in 2012. The car comes with options of a ton of great technology that other competitors at the price do not offer and driving the car is pure fun. Not to mention, it gets great gas mileage. I was always shocked at how good my mpgs were! However, because this engine was redesigned in 2012, the clutch is plagued with issues. I even had it replaced under warranty (with the same clutch by Ford) and it did nothing to fix the grinding noises and junting that happens when the car switches gears (I drive an automatic). It makes you think something is wrong with the car even though Ford claims it is not. Something is wrong. It also vibrates when idling and Ford claims there is no fix for these issues. All the little things about this car are great, but Ford messed up with the design of this engine. I finally gave in and went back to owning a BMW because I knew they would never put a clutch in a vehicle that could not be fixed. The value of this vehicle also depreciated greatly compared to other car brands over a two year period."

'12 Focus SEL Sedan w/Auto...in love with this car

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "Appearance, options, seats, high-quality interior"

Cons: "Learning curve on auto-tranny but love it now"

"Brought my 2009 Focus (75,000 miles) into local dealer for scheduled maintenance at end of February, decided to poke around the lot. Found a black (new & unsold) 2012 model SEL sedan with almost every conceivable option short of keyless ignition and rain-sensing wipers. Otherwise had it all: leather, MyTouch, Sync, moonroof, 6-spd auto w/toggle shift, 17" magnesium lookalikes, rearview camera, prox sensors, mood lighting, top-end Sony audio w/subwoofer, fogs, auto-park. Sticker asked $25,680(honestly worthwhile for all the equipment), left with the car after having paid a shade over $18,000...including extended bumper-to-bumper (i drive a LOT). Only concern I had in first few days was the transmission when in "D", which seemed "creaky", as if it couldn't make up it's mind on what to do next. But as I spent more time in it, I learned the nuances. It wants to be as fuel efficient as possible, requiring a rethinking of sorts about the way you would normally drive an automatic. Becomes second nature rather quickly, and it's kinda cool considering all of that technology at play. Want to have fun? Throw it into the sport mode and hang on. Superb handling, crisp shifts. A good time in every drive, and it looks terrific."

Great looks and mileage with cool features. Luv it

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "Great ride. Very quiet. Cool looks. Great MPG!!"

Cons: "No interior trunk release...its on the key fobs."

At dealership before windows were tinted. Coolest one there!

"My family leases a 2012 Titanium Sedan, loaded and we love it. It drives very well and is quiet and smooth even at 80+ MPH! Very nice interior and our Sync system has performed as expected. Some reviews knock the automatic transmission...I cannot say ours has ANY bad or balky shifts. We get complements from people all the time about how cool it looks...we got the Yellow Blaze Metallic paint with Black 17" wheels. Our kids are under 10 yrs old so back legroom has been no concern. I love this car and will buy it when the lease is over."

At dealership before windows were tinted. Coolest one there!

Complaints re: trans = Not driving car properly

By on Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pros: "Good value; looks great; mpg; interior tech"

Cons: "Second gear a little hesitant; back end"

"Recently purchased a 2013 Focus. In regards to the automatic transmission, second gear is a little hesitant, and needs a little goosing. Give it a little more gas, and get through second gear more quickly. Those who say that the transmission lurches and grinds gears aren't driving the car properly. You have to kinda drive it as you would a stick, keep an eye on the tachometer, in the first three gears. At the top end of third gear (around 35 mph), the car has all the speed and pickup you need. Then it has speed for days, great handling; it's easy to go fast in this agile little car. Also, I see that a lot of people don't like the interior technology, which, to me, is not that difficult to figure out. There are a lot of buttons and stuff, but anybody that has a basic tech savvy can figure what's what rather quickly. Lots of bells and whistles included in the base model; it's pretty cool, kind of spaceship cockpit-esque. Heated seats in the winter package, which, where I live, is really nice in an affordable car. The front seats are super comfortable, the interior styling is nice; it's got a modern feel. The exterior of the car, to me, looks awesome. It's an eye-catcher; you see people all the time taking a second look, like 'hey, that's a pretty sweet little car.' The drawbacks to this, both inside and out, are almost like Ford spent all their time and energy on the front end, and left the back end. The back seat is a plain old back seat. The back end and the trunk aren't much to look at. Looks great from the front and sides, the back isn't anything special. Great gas mileage, as advertised. Off the line, you aren't going to beat anyone in this car. But once you get to around 35 mph, it's got all the speed, handling, and acceleration you need."

Okay, not great.

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

"Car gets great mileage and is a blast to drive, but the dual clutch isn't that great. Its quirks are pretty annoying at lower speeds and gearing is awful. I'm just surprised by how erratic the trans actually is. Other Ford owners have said that it's just the way a DCT works. The problem with that is that I've driven VW's DSG and did experience the same problems. Other problems have been creaks and rattles. The interior looks well made, but it really isn't."

Wow !! Great Car

By on Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pros: "So Impressed with this new car !"

Cons: "None so far"

"To anyone looking for a Compact Car, this is the one you want. Mine is SE with Sport Pkg, heated seats, etc. Everything is 1st Class, especailly the ride and handling. I did a quyick trip on freeway got over 38 MPG, on avery hot day !! One of the best things about the Car is it's looks, it is a grabber, even people in BMW's give a second look, propably because it looks like a European Car, mainly an Audi A-3."

My first Ford Focus

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, sync, safety ratings"

Cons: "nothing"

"I grew up in a household that only bought other makes and models (chevy,japanese). I love my Ford! I am extremely happy that I choose the Focus over the Corolla and Civic. I believe that Ford has been doing their 100%!! If you are interested in a Ford, GO DRIVE ONE! They drive great! Oh, and by the way its GREAT in the snow!"

Loving it

By on Friday, July 15, 2011

Pros: "Quality interior, supportive leather seats, My Ford Touch, gas mileage, drives great"

Cons: "Could use one more small storage area up front"

"Finally a small car with excellent gas mileage that has both style and a quality interior. The 6-speed automatic manual transmission has been smooth and flawless and I especially like the Sport mode. The My Ford Touch (MFT) has also performed without error for me. The soft touch material, upscale materials in the Titanium, excellent supportive leather seating, along with driving performance have made the Ford Focus Titanium an successful alternative to pricier semi-luxury vehicles along with improved gas mileage. The hatch, while 7 inches shorter than the Sedan, provides the same interior room and much more versatility when it comes to storage space. I found everything I wanted option wise without having to give up gas mileage to get it and at a substantially lower price. I was initially worried that this car wouldn’t have enough power, but I’ve found the performance of the 160 horsepower engine to me more than adequate when it comes to power. I’m very pleased with my purchase."

Ford Focus problems!

By on Thursday, July 5, 2012

"Too many problems with my car. Rack and pinion was defective right from the factory, I've been having all the transmissions issues that all Focus owners have been complaining about. I don't understand why Ford has yet to fix this problem. I've been to the service department for the 6th time with a mix of complaints, recalls and for failed repairs. Nothing works! Now...Just yesterday, my instrument cluster (speedometer and RPM gauge) all stopped working. A month early, my A/C started having problems keeping cold with summer just getting started! It's back to the dealer I go. As someone that had never owned a Ford before, I REALLY wanted to like this car."