2012 Ford Focus

7.1

Based on 559 Ratings for the 2012 - 2018 models.

7.3/10
    7.2/10
    7.4/10
    7.5/10
    7.6/10

2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback

By on Friday, August 4, 2017

"This vehicle has been pretty trouble free. Other than the transmission issues, which have been resolved and have not experienced any other issues for the past year. It is holding up pretty well, although I dont beat on my vehicles too hard. Pretty good MPG (average 32 MPG combined/38+ Highway)."

Fantastic value. Little workhorse

By on Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Pros: "value, comfort, convenience, technology, fuel econ"

Cons: "small size, small engine, automatic"

"Fantastic vehicle. Smooth ride on highway. Comfortable seats. Trunk/Hatch had enough room. Sync feature works well. No huge problems at all. Gas mileage is averaging 34mpg. I drive a lot of HWY but mostly at 75-80mph. If you do 65mph you get 37mpg or so. Driving dynamics have been good. Obviously not a sports car but pick up is fine for a 2.0l 4 cyl auto. The handling is crisp and its easy to avoid sudden items on the road without losing control. I have put on 125k in 5 years and the car has performed flawlessly. Just took it on a 1250 mile trip and back (total 2800 or so in 10 days) and it effortlessly drove at sustained speeds of 80+mph, higher at times. Absolutely a great value for money."

Okay, not great.

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

"Car gets great mileage and is a blast to drive, but the dual clutch isn't that great. Its quirks are pretty annoying at lower speeds and gearing is awful. I'm just surprised by how erratic the trans actually is. Other Ford owners have said that it's just the way a DCT works. The problem with that is that I've driven VW's DSG and did experience the same problems. Other problems have been creaks and rattles. The interior looks well made, but it really isn't."

Complaints re: trans = Not driving car properly

By on Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pros: "Good value; looks great; mpg; interior tech"

Cons: "Second gear a little hesitant; back end"

"Recently purchased a 2013 Focus. In regards to the automatic transmission, second gear is a little hesitant, and needs a little goosing. Give it a little more gas, and get through second gear more quickly. Those who say that the transmission lurches and grinds gears aren't driving the car properly. You have to kinda drive it as you would a stick, keep an eye on the tachometer, in the first three gears. At the top end of third gear (around 35 mph), the car has all the speed and pickup you need. Then it has speed for days, great handling; it's easy to go fast in this agile little car. Also, I see that a lot of people don't like the interior technology, which, to me, is not that difficult to figure out. There are a lot of buttons and stuff, but anybody that has a basic tech savvy can figure what's what rather quickly. Lots of bells and whistles included in the base model; it's pretty cool, kind of spaceship cockpit-esque. Heated seats in the winter package, which, where I live, is really nice in an affordable car. The front seats are super comfortable, the interior styling is nice; it's got a modern feel. The exterior of the car, to me, looks awesome. It's an eye-catcher; you see people all the time taking a second look, like 'hey, that's a pretty sweet little car.' The drawbacks to this, both inside and out, are almost like Ford spent all their time and energy on the front end, and left the back end. The back seat is a plain old back seat. The back end and the trunk aren't much to look at. Looks great from the front and sides, the back isn't anything special. Great gas mileage, as advertised. Off the line, you aren't going to beat anyone in this car. But once you get to around 35 mph, it's got all the speed, handling, and acceleration you need."

Wow !! Great Car

By on Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pros: "So Impressed with this new car !"

Cons: "None so far"

"To anyone looking for a Compact Car, this is the one you want. Mine is SE with Sport Pkg, heated seats, etc. Everything is 1st Class, especailly the ride and handling. I did a quyick trip on freeway got over 38 MPG, on avery hot day !! One of the best things about the Car is it's looks, it is a grabber, even people in BMW's give a second look, propably because it looks like a European Car, mainly an Audi A-3."

Great car if you like transmission problems

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Looks great and comfortable, great fuel mileage"

Cons: "bad transmission,"

My 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB

"Car looks great, best I can say about it. Transmission is horrible and most likely will eventually put you in the dealership for a few days for repairs. Started seeing small issues with the way it shifted when giving car the gas and told one dealership. They said it was the design of them. 2 years and 23,000 miles later car at another dealership who knows the cars have issues and was willing to work on it. Great car if you like having tranny issues worked on. Was going to buy another Ford, but now going Honda, Toyota, something like that."

My 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB

worst vehicle I've ever had

By on Friday, September 16, 2016

I don't own this car

Pros: "nice convenience features (but we paid for them)"

Cons: "transmission issues that can't be fixed"

"This vehicle has transmission issues that Ford is aware of and has lowered the bar on what is an acceptable performance level to avoid responsibility. It shudders when starting from a stop and the problem gets more noticeable the longer the vehicle is driven. It has been in for service four times with the initial response being to reset the clutch adaptive learning module, to no effect. The last two service visits haven't even produced an attempt to fix the problem, just a notification that the vehicle performs to Fords specifications. This response is despite the fact that the service rep knows exactly what our complaint is when we tell him what the vehicle is. Thus far, the closest they can come to assuming responsibility is to extend the drive train warranty to 10 years, which accomplishes nothing since they are unable or unwilling to do anything about the vehicles issues. In conclusion, this has been the most unsatisfactory vehicle experience I've ever had (and I had a Pontiac Fiero back in the 70's) and I'm stuck driving a defective vehicle or taking a beating on getting out of the lease. It's probably not appropriate to condemn an entire make of cars based on one terrible experience, but if this is Fords idea of customer service, I wouldn't take the risk of dealing with their next problem that's too big to deal with."

My first Ford Focus

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, sync, safety ratings"

Cons: "nothing"

"I grew up in a household that only bought other makes and models (chevy,japanese). I love my Ford! I am extremely happy that I choose the Focus over the Corolla and Civic. I believe that Ford has been doing their 100%!! If you are interested in a Ford, GO DRIVE ONE! They drive great! Oh, and by the way its GREAT in the snow!"

Loving it

By on Friday, July 15, 2011

Pros: "Quality interior, supportive leather seats, My Ford Touch, gas mileage, drives great"

Cons: "Could use one more small storage area up front"

"Finally a small car with excellent gas mileage that has both style and a quality interior. The 6-speed automatic manual transmission has been smooth and flawless and I especially like the Sport mode. The My Ford Touch (MFT) has also performed without error for me. The soft touch material, upscale materials in the Titanium, excellent supportive leather seating, along with driving performance have made the Ford Focus Titanium an successful alternative to pricier semi-luxury vehicles along with improved gas mileage. The hatch, while 7 inches shorter than the Sedan, provides the same interior room and much more versatility when it comes to storage space. I found everything I wanted option wise without having to give up gas mileage to get it and at a substantially lower price. I was initially worried that this car wouldn’t have enough power, but I’ve found the performance of the 160 horsepower engine to me more than adequate when it comes to power. I’m very pleased with my purchase."

Not recommeded

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

"I disposed of my 2013 Ford Focus on 9-15-14 at a loss. I experienced all of the transmission issues already mentioned jerking, accelerating, nearly stalling and almost getting struck when entering an intersection and the transmission simply stopped giving forward movement. I was always told it is suppose to run like that. At a 35000 mile oil change I was told a seal between the transmission and engine had failed and oil had leaked from the engine. It was repaired and I was then told about a surprise extended warranty on the part and associated parts from Ford only Ford did not say anything until a week after the repair. All of the shuddering eventually started back up again and on 9-14-14 I noticed a burnt rubber smell from the car. I realized it had always been burning rubber but I always convinced myself it was another vehicle next to mine. Mine was new and it couldn't be mine. I strongly recommend against buying a Ford Focus."

'12 Focus SEL Sedan w/Auto...in love with this car

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "Appearance, options, seats, high-quality interior"

Cons: "Learning curve on auto-tranny but love it now"

"Brought my 2009 Focus (75,000 miles) into local dealer for scheduled maintenance at end of February, decided to poke around the lot. Found a black (new & unsold) 2012 model SEL sedan with almost every conceivable option short of keyless ignition and rain-sensing wipers. Otherwise had it all: leather, MyTouch, Sync, moonroof, 6-spd auto w/toggle shift, 17" magnesium lookalikes, rearview camera, prox sensors, mood lighting, top-end Sony audio w/subwoofer, fogs, auto-park. Sticker asked $25,680(honestly worthwhile for all the equipment), left with the car after having paid a shade over $18,000...including extended bumper-to-bumper (i drive a LOT). Only concern I had in first few days was the transmission when in "D", which seemed "creaky", as if it couldn't make up it's mind on what to do next. But as I spent more time in it, I learned the nuances. It wants to be as fuel efficient as possible, requiring a rethinking of sorts about the way you would normally drive an automatic. Becomes second nature rather quickly, and it's kinda cool considering all of that technology at play. Want to have fun? Throw it into the sport mode and hang on. Superb handling, crisp shifts. A good time in every drive, and it looks terrific."

Good Value

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Good mileage, nice interior for the class"

Cons: "Transmission requires some acclimation"

"My vehicle is 6 months old now. Mileage has averaged 30 mpg with a high proportion of short distance, cold engine drives, and my average speed on the highway is 77 (you get better mileage at 60-65, but it's no slouch at the higher speeds). Highway mileage is usually around 34-35 mpg. For the class of vehicle, the interior is actually quite well made and seems solid; an order of magnitude better than the 2011 model, which just feels cheap. Seats are comfortable and upgraded stereo system is nice. The biggest complaints you hear are about the transmission, an "automatic/manual" hybrid. If you have never driven a manual, it will take some getting used to and you may not like it. If you have, then you will be comfortable with it and not bothered by the "quirks." for example, it does not accelerate or shift gears as smoothly or quickly as an automatic. I think Ford would have been well served to provide a true automatic transmission option for those who have never driven anything else, but I drove a manual for years and have no problem with it."

Best car in its class

By on Monday, April 7, 2014

"The Good: I have owned the Focus for almost two years. Immediately after buying it, my girlfriend and I took it on a road trip from Ohio to California and back. The car is roomy enough, quiet, gets great gas mileage, is fun to drive, very direct steering and is loaded with features. I perform the regular maintenance myself and have had to do nothing but three oil changes, so my two year cost of ownership is a whopping $120. I average about 34.5 mpg with about 70%/30% city to highway which it well above the EPA estimates. The Bad: I have needed the clutch assembly to be replaced at 18,000 miles (its the auto) but Ford took care of it under warranty. No problems since and from what most are saying now the problem was fixed after seal replacements. Mine was on of the first years in a new revamp, so you have to expect difficulties especially on a new drivetrain. Overall: This has been a great car compared to my 2002 Corolla. It is unbeatable in its class for style, comfort and overall reliability. Do not be afraid of reviews on the automatics, most of the reviews are leftover from when the car was released and the ST stole the show. Take it for a test drive and you will be happy with making the decision of getting yourself one too."

A very good car for commuters

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good sound system, no cheap feel."

Cons: "Lack of storage, a little pricey for a compact car"

"I commute 45 miles each way to work. I needed a car that would get good mileage and be comfortable to sit in for extended periods. The Focus is both of these and much more. I am currently averaging 37 mpg (3 fill ups so far). The front seats are very comfortable, but the driver seat lacks an adjustable lumbar support (in the SE version I own). I use a small towel roll to make up the difference. The car has plenty of power, accelerating and shifting smoothly. The audio system (6 speaker with SIRIUS) is more than adequate for the average audiophile, reproducing wonderful sound. The hand controls on the steering wheel were confusing at first, but now are very convenient and intuitive. The only ammenity that I find lacking in this car is the absence of "cubbies." I have no real good place to put all of my... goodies. The glove box is very spacious. The center console is smallish. The cup holders in front are smallish. The door panels seem to have adequate space. But that is it. Can I live with this small flaw? Absolutely. It the car a blast to drive? You're darn tootin' it is. It handles corners like more expensive BMW's or VW's. It feels substancial and refined, yet nimble. Nothing about this car seems cheep or poorly made. The two words I can say: Buy one!"

Fun to drive, great gas mileage

By on Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Would like to see a 2.3L 4 cyl. offered"

"Fun to drive, great gas mileage, good styling"

Stay Away From This Car

By on Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pros: "Styling is dead on, Lot's of features for price"

Cons: "Transmission has issues that Ford won't resolve."

"I purchased this 2012 Focus about 3 weeks ago and while it drove nice off the dealer lot after it warmed up and during city driving the car began to shudder when taking off from a stop. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the shudder I was feeling, They contacted Ford and they stated it was normal. How many of you would care to purchase a car that shudders when taking off from a stop and then would you consider it normal? I talked to Ford Customer Service and that was just a waste of a phone call. In a time when we really have to pinch our pennies it just shock's me that a company such as Ford would not offer any assistance to the customer. There is also issues on some with the electronic power steering and people are finding they have to fight hard to get these vehicles fixed. As a new potential owner do you really want to take a chance and hope that you get a good one? Ford stated that thes issues are isloated incidents but yet they turn right around and say it is normal. How can something be a isloated incident and normal at the same time? Ford has lost my business and while this car is very nice in the looks and style department if you have issues after 2 days off the lot and they refuse to fix it I doubt it is really worth owning."

Great car for commuting and for road trips!

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "affordable, good mileage, big trunk, stylish, fun to drive"

Cons: "needs a little more room in the backseat, SYNC needs a hearing aid"

"I bought this car for commuting, then found I like to drive it on the weekends also. My wife likes to drive it and I've received many positive compliments from others who see it and admire it. I thought it would get good mileage and I was right. I has been averaging 34 MPG during some bad commute days - two hours each way every work day. It has nice features and a few little quirks. The transmission makes a little noise when shifting at low speeds, but no problems on the freeway. The interior is nice, but a little cramped for adults in the back seat. The trunk is HUGE. The styling is nice. SYNC needs a little work to understand commands - especially when there is road noise. Also, the turn-by-turn navigation just can't keep up when downtown or driving near high-rise buildings -- all minor stuff overall."

Horrible car!!!

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

"It may sound funny but i have not seen all the complaints until the last couple of weeks. I wish I did before buying this car. I've owned many small ford sedans before, but this has been by far the worst because of its transmission. It's almost embarrassing to drive this car in town. I've had so many problems with the car shuddering and not wanting roll. Strange sounds of clattering and clunking from what sounds like the clutches and heat issues with the transmission. I've made so many complaints and have had many updated and repairs made on this car. I just wish I had bought something different now."

Ford Focus problems!

By on Thursday, July 5, 2012

"Too many problems with my car. Rack and pinion was defective right from the factory, I've been having all the transmissions issues that all Focus owners have been complaining about. I don't understand why Ford has yet to fix this problem. I've been to the service department for the 6th time with a mix of complaints, recalls and for failed repairs. Nothing works! Now...Just yesterday, my instrument cluster (speedometer and RPM gauge) all stopped working. A month early, my A/C started having problems keeping cold with summer just getting started! It's back to the dealer I go. As someone that had never owned a Ford before, I REALLY wanted to like this car."

Ford should have produced more of these babies!

By on Friday, July 22, 2011

Pros: "$tops on a dime and so quite the built in phone is easy blue tooth cool!"

Cons: "View of surrounding traffic hard to judge due to sleek styling, get used to using mirrors."

"You will need to rely on the mirrors...the view from the cockpit is limited to the rear but Ford did provide dual rear view mirrors to help. Interior appointments are more like the high end mid-sized although you will need to dish out more $ if you want electric seats. A pump style seat lever is all the SEL brings to the plate but how many times does one need to adjust the seating to gain mpg and styling the Focus SEL Hatchback is packing. I am stoked to have bought the only one within 500miles of Salt Lake or Tallahassee."

Good little car

By on Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Pros: "Good looking, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Transmission problems"

Can't deny it, she's a real looker.

"I really loved my 2012 Focus. For the most part, it is a nice little car. It's good looking and gets great gas mileage. The only thing I don't care for is how it feels like the transmission is slipping when taking off from a stop. I took it back to the dealership right after I got it thinking something was wrong with it. They said they drove it and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. Isn't that how it always goes? Your car never does what you want it to do when you take to the mechanic. That's when I got online and found out there are a lot of other people complaining about the same problem. The new power shift duel clutch transmission is garbage. I just hope the seals in mine don't start leaking like they have in other people's. Right now I owe more than it's worth but if I didn't, I would trade it in for something else. Very worried."

Can't deny it, she's a real looker.

An affordable car with so many good features!

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "Good value, a lot of features for price"

Cons: "Center console is smallish"

"I bought the 2013 Ford Focus SE model in tuxedo black with automatic transmission. My overall initial assessment was that the car was literally packed with buttons, perhaps too many even. The Ford My Touch and Synch offer many valuable tools for the driver and connect with your phone or other devices for hands free use while driving. After starting it up and driving it I found the handling and power of this model to be superior to any other vehicle I tested in that class. I thought it was more ergonomic, fitted my 5' 10" and 217 lb body well, was responsive, nimble and just felt classy. Having done my research I knew it rated exceptionally by every testing agency, so it was not a surprise that it performed as well as it did. Compared to every other vehicle I drove in that class, the Focus was tops in my book hands down. I bought it and have put 3,000 miles on it, without any incident of note. I am more than pleased with the vehicle, and having owned many cars and trucks in my lifetime, I would have to say the Focus is in the running for being one of the best. I consider it just a fraction off of the BMW 3 series vehicle I owned, and superior in many ways to other, more exotic, cars I own. Ford hit a home run with this car, and I am very happy to own the focus."

Great MPG. Transmission is not perfect, yet.

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "See review."

Cons: "See review."

"Pros: MPG (>42 driving from LA to SD at 65-70). Driving feels very solid, city or mountains. It handles turns, mountains very well/smooth, better than I thought. A lot of power going up hill (160hp). Its hilly-drive function button on the autoshift handle is quite easy and neat feature that I find very helpful when you go frequent from up to down and to up hills. Drive CA hwy-1 from Santa Babara to SF, the average MPG is ~37, including all the hilly area. Ex. and Int. design is a great improvement over the previous models. Very quite in regular city/hwy drive. You do hear the engine sound significantly when you step hard on the gas, e.g. going uphill. I really love it in-and-out. The build quality is pretty solid for the price. Cons: Transmission is not exactly perfect, yet. Mine is pretty good. Does not have any problem at all on flat or going downhill. However, when it goes steep uphill, it does take a bit harder on gas to get a smooth start. This is the only place I would take any point out of this beautiful little amazing car. Hope Ford can get this sorted out with a new firmware update."

Great Car, minor issues though!

By on Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Pros: "Beautiful color, great interior, and love Sync!"

Cons: "transmission and door latch issues, but simple fix"

"I purchased the 2015 Focus used about 3 months ago unaware of the transmission and door latch recalls. Took it to the dealer I bought it from and was told it was just a computer issue. The shudder of the transmission got worse and finally took it to Ford. They repaired the door latches and replaced my clutch. Before purchasing this car make sure to ask questions!!!!"

Never misses a beat!

By on Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Pros: "fun to drive, economical, power when you need it"

Cons: "none so far"

"2014 model purchased new in Southern California. This car has been great, we put plenty of miles on it and installed a towbar. It will easily pull 2000 lbs and we towed a spa pool California to Texas non stop and still got reasonable gas mileage (21 hours driving!). No leaks, excellent manual gearbox, handles great and looks good too. Gas economy is good with averages around the 32-33 MPG. Nothing bad to say about this car."