• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2012 Ford Focus

7.4

Based on 287 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.5/10

auto transmission problems

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage is good, constant 30mpg"

Cons: "Dependability may be a problem if i keep this car."

"Many auto trans problems. Dual clutch assembly replaced at 17,000 miles. It is now shuttering bad again at 31,500 miles. Carpet mat hold downs pulling out of carpet. Dealer says not covered??"

Its a car

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Cons: "Cup Holders are horrible too!"

"When I first looked in to buying this car I was truly excited. Once I owned the car for a week I was truly upset. I have had repeated transmission issues and have gone to the top to be told its "the nature of the car". While the car is sporty to drive and has great mileage, which was #1 reason for its purchase, it does lack in comfort and not a smooth ride. Most of this is my own fault. I was used to an SUV and a smoother ride. I travel the interstate everyday and its a rough ride. The shape of the seat also aggrevates my bad hip. It is a good car, but if I had known about the transmission issues, I would have never bought it. Lesson learned not to do move review first!!"

Great car! 33 miles per gallon.

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Built too low to the ground"

"Bought the car because wife travels a lot for business. She loves every aspect of the car. A little small for my 300 lb. body, but still very adequate for all our needs. 64000 miles and has only been in the garage for routine maintenance. Got 49000 miles on the original tires. Great little car!"

Its Okay

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, cute, nice mesh seats"

Cons: "Bad transmissions,"

"I was thrilled when I first bought my focus. Thought it was the best car on the road because I got 35MPG even in town, and I had the convenience of the SYNC system and Sirius radio. Then about three months after buying my car brand new I began having transmission issues. No dealership or even Ford corporate would listen. But I know there is something wrong with the transmissions of the new Focuses. The transmission slips, it seems to skip gears, and it revs too high during acceleration even when Im not "gunning it" or "racing to the speed limit". I would not personally ever buy another Focus."

excellent - looks/drives nice, very fuel efficient

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Stylish/Fun to drive. Great price."

"Love this car. My son & I fight over driving it. Now buying one just for me. This car handles and drives very nice with very good acceleration. It gets better than advertised gas mileage. Get around 39mpg highway. Even when I drive it up the mountain for skiing (4,000ft vertical gain) I average 36.5 mpg for the trip. It has great power for getting up the mountain. It has good tires but recommend snow tires for skiing trips/snow. Love the convenience of the sync voice activated Bluetooth. Runs very solid. My car is the 2012 focus sedan SE, I have 35,000 miles on it."