2017 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $34,629 - $36,045.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Valid for ZIP code 96801 through 08/24/2017

10/7.6

7.9

Based on 23 Ratings for the 2016 - 2017 models.

7.3/10

cruise control does not engage properly on down

By on Monday, July 31, 2017

Pros: "I like to tavel in this explorer"

Cons: "The mpg is low and the disfunctional cruise contro"

"finally got the dealer tech to analyze the cruise control. Agrees about over speeding. Ford engineering say that is the way it is. It can over speed as much as 30 mph. This is a safety issue that doesnt seem to concern anyone at Ford. the local tech agreed that the over speed is excessive but a fix was out of his hands. I have 2 other vehicles a 1990 Montero & a 2012 Prius that do not have this problem in spite of having put a after market cruise control on the Montero"

Great value, comfortable ride, sleek looks

By on Monday, January 2, 2017

Pros: "Comfortable, powerful, technology, design."

Cons: "some more technology (no limit to this...)."

"bought the car about a month ago. Researched nearly every SUV (Pilot, QX60, Armada, Pathfinder, Highlander, Expedition, Navigator,...) Initially, I thought only of full size SUV. I test drove the Armada, liked it a lot but the 3rd row seating was VERY small. Given that I need the 3rd row seating, that was not an option. From the Mid size SUV. The Pathfinder and QX60, they looks nice, but they are under-powered and I did not like the CVT. Also the infotainment system is a bit outdated. The Pilot is very nice. Very sleek design but I did not like the infotainment, it is a bit less roomier than the Explorer but most importantly, I did not like the 9 SPD gear and the driving position was not comfortable to me (I am 6.2). As far as the explorer goes. Yes, it is a bit pricey compared to others but if you look around you can find good deals. The new SYNC3 is great compared to the older my ford touch and the Apple Car play is brilliant. With the twin turbo engine you never feel under power and when we took a road trip (5 adults and luggage) i did not feel any issues. Car also behaved very good on very wet, snowy and somewhat icy roads. Even if you compare this to a Tahoe, the 3rd raw and cargo space behind the 3rd row is way better in the Explorer. I did not rate the reliability since car is too new... but so far, no issues. As far as wish list. 1. Wish it had the full brake intervention capability for FWD and Backward collision, not just the alarms. 2. Wish it had 360 degree cameras (it has only Front and back) 3. I think that a 7 or 8 tranny would work great on this car. Take a look you will not regret. P.S. if you buy new and considering extended warranty, don't but directly from the dealer. Shop online, usually you will find much better deals."

Have had it for a short time but love it so far.

By on Sunday, March 19, 2017

Pros: "Comfort, handling looks."

Cons: "a bit pricey compared to my Escape I traded in for"

"Very comfortable. Love the heated steering wheel in winter. I wish I had gotten the BLIS but I am content withe the mirror inserts. The ride is really nice and the control is very good. The standard V6 has plenty of power for my driving habits. The seats are excellent to me. I would buy it again."

Third Explorer new to Ford and VERY impressed!

By on Monday, January 23, 2017

Pros: "Looks, Sporty Driving, Quality Materials and Comfo"

Cons: "MPG (20 Adv.) Residual Value (Platinum Only)"

"Okay so i always loved foreign vehicles and thought they were the best but when the 2011 Ford Explorer came out i saw it and immediately fell in love! In September of 2011 i bought my first American Car since highschool! A White 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. Even though it was the base lvl Explorer i was suprised at how many features came standard! The SUV rides better than my previous car (A full size sedan that shall remain nameless) and dosent drive like a big bulky Midsize 3row SUV, theres lots of room and i love it! So getting back in 2014 i bought Explorer #2 May i bought a Blue 2014 Ford Explorer Limited (my budget finally Allowed!) owned for nearly 3 years and LOVED IT! Just like my 2011 model but more features and defferent colors, so in 2015 when i saw the 2016 i said "YES! THATS WHAT IN REPLACING BLUE WITH! And did January Of 2017 with a Tan 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum! (I was saving up for the best) WONDERFUL SUV! Feels,looks and drives like a Luxury SUV! (At $55,000 it should be) my only Gripe is residual if you dont HAVE to have a brand new Explorer i suggest looking at a used one (if you can find one they are in VERY high demand!) it will be about $8,000 cheaper for a used 2016 Explorer Platinum than a new 2017 Explorer Platinum hope this helps! I LOVE my Explorer!"

LOVE it.

By on Thursday, October 27, 2016

Pros: "Good looking & comfortable"

Cons: "Pricey, a couple minor issues"

"I love my new Ford Explorer so much. It's a loaded XLT (panoramic moonroof, Nav, etc). I have had some minor issues with it but I love it so much that I am still rating it highly. The good: It's gorgeous. I love the front end remodel. The front seats are like sitting in an angel's lap. I am not used to such comfort coming from a CR-V. I love being able to set alerts for the Sirius channels. I love the hands-free tailgate and the blind spot mirrors. The not-so-great: The tailgate does not always open. Sometimes it just thinks about it, and then tells me "no." We then negotiate. Sometimes I lose. The nav is completely, utterly worthless. It doesn't understand your speech. It won't understand your typing either. Just use your phone. I had to have my oil sending unit replaced at 12k miles because it was leaking. The part had to be ordered and took over a week. It is hard to stretch your left leg out, even for a shorty. That said, I've had four ten-hour drives in it this year and I was fine. The beige leather stains easily. Not the fault of the leather but I wish the darker leather had been easier to find in this color or they had gone with any color other than beige. Make sure your jeans are color-fast. Just because you've washed them doesn't mean the dye won't come off on your beautiful new angel's lap seats. Overall, I love this car. It is my favorite car I've ever had."