2013 Ford Explorer

8.1

Based on 229 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Great Styling, and Functionality

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "Great style, fun to drive, great gas mileage for a mid-size suv, extra safety features"

Cons: "pricey"

"After doing a considerable amount of research, I decided on the Ford Explorer for the following reasons: 1) Technology options - I wanted a car that had voice, and touchscreen capability, as well as Bluetooth, A/V, and iPhone compatibility. 2) Safety Features - A key selling point was the Blindspot indicator system, rear inflatable seat belts for the safety of children, and seniors, as well as front, and side impact air bags 3) Styling - The 2011/2012 Ford Explorer has an aggressive style profile that sets it apart from other SUV's in it's class. Rather than smooth rounded contouring, the Explorer sports a more angular style, especially the front end. 4) Fuel Economy - Best in Class Fuel Economy - FWD 17/25 - Interestingly enough, I've actually gotten better hwy mpg, than the stated 25 mpg."

Have had it for a short time but love it so far.

By on Sunday, March 19, 2017

Pros: "Comfort, handling looks."

Cons: "a bit pricey compared to my Escape I traded in for"

"Very comfortable. Love the heated steering wheel in winter. I wish I had gotten the BLIS but I am content withe the mirror inserts. The ride is really nice and the control is very good. The standard V6 has plenty of power for my driving habits. The seats are excellent to me. I would buy it again."

Third Explorer new to Ford and VERY impressed!

By on Monday, January 23, 2017

Pros: "Looks, Sporty Driving, Quality Materials and Comfo"

Cons: "MPG (20 Adv.) Residual Value (Platinum Only)"

"Okay so i always loved foreign vehicles and thought they were the best but when the 2011 Ford Explorer came out i saw it and immediately fell in love! In September of 2011 i bought my first American Car since highschool! A White 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. Even though it was the base lvl Explorer i was suprised at how many features came standard! The SUV rides better than my previous car (A full size sedan that shall remain nameless) and dosent drive like a big bulky Midsize 3row SUV, theres lots of room and i love it! So getting back in 2014 i bought Explorer #2 May i bought a Blue 2014 Ford Explorer Limited (my budget finally Allowed!) owned for nearly 3 years and LOVED IT! Just like my 2011 model but more features and defferent colors, so in 2015 when i saw the 2016 i said "YES! THATS WHAT IN REPLACING BLUE WITH! And did January Of 2017 with a Tan 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum! (I was saving up for the best) WONDERFUL SUV! Feels,looks and drives like a Luxury SUV! (At $55,000 it should be) my only Gripe is residual if you dont HAVE to have a brand new Explorer i suggest looking at a used one (if you can find one they are in VERY high demand!) it will be about $8,000 cheaper for a used 2016 Explorer Platinum than a new 2017 Explorer Platinum hope this helps! I LOVE my Explorer!"

Exactly what I wanted

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Styling, features, handling"

Cons: "gear ratios, third row leg room"

"I did a lot of research on the web to find what mid-sized SUV I wanted. This Explorer fit the bill perfectly. (Traded in a Toyota Sienna Van). First, the styling caught my attention and after 6 months I still find myself thinking what a great looking car it is. The interior was the most comfortable of several models I test drove (Highlander, Traverse, Grand Cherokee). I love the cockpit and Sync touch screen, works perfectly with my I-phone and Bluetooth music. The vehicle drives great for an SUV compared to past Explorers and truck frame based SUV's. The price and gas mileage fit in line with other car brand's similar sized models. The power could be a little better, although once you learn how the vehicle shifts (up-shifts very fast leaving car in a high gear at low speed) it does fine in normal driving conditions. It would be nice to have the eco-drive available on the less expensive trims. I have had no mechanical problems. I have done some variable conditions road driving (no serious off-road, snow and dirt roads) the car has handled great on icy roads and has multiple settings to help with conditions. A few features that I love are the keyless entry and starter, with the Bluetooth phone paring you never have to fumble to find your keys and phone, grab the door handle, push the start button and go! I love the sound system, my model has the premium sound and it is the best factory system I've heard. I love the cap-less gas valve. A few minor cons: the gas door is on the passenger side and most vehicles seem to be on the driver's side, it has caused some problems at busy gas stations. The door jams are very wide and it is a bit of effort to get out of the vehicle. The third row is for children only, very limited leg room and also makes the second row not comfortable for tall people. Overall I am really happy with the purchase, I got the vehicle certified used and it came with an excellent interest rate. I do not have any regrets buying this Explorer, great job Ford, buy American!"

Great SUV

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Great look, very good ride and plenty of room."

Cons: "Bettor gas mileage and MY Ford needs refinement."

"I really like the way my explorer rides and looks. The car has a good feel on the road and highway. The seats are comfortable and there's plenty of room all the way in the back. This car has good pickup and gets reasonable gas mileage. I wish it got bettor gas mileage on the highway. Mine gets 23-24 straight highway. Overall great value and I really like the look of the car inside and out. The electronics is some times a challenge but overall it works well and I like the nav,"