ZIP code

2011 Ford Explorer

8.1

Based on 202 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

great vehicle, super smooth ride, beautiful, quiet

By on Monday, June 13, 2016

Pros: "easy & fun to drive, smooth comfortable ride"

Cons: "nav syst hard to use, elect 3rd row not removable"

"Only 2 negative comments. I did not realize the 3rd row electric seats could not be removed, but the electric ones stow easily, and the and the navigation system is a lot more difficult to use than my Garmin Nuvi, it did get a little better after I read the directions, so I usually just use my Garmin. Rides so comfortable and quiet. I had an Explorer Sport Trac years ago and I really wanted that comfortable ride again, only Yukons ride better but I didn't want the larger size because of the parking headaches (and dings) that come with it. The black carpet and dash show dirt and dust easily so a lot of extra vacuuming and wiping down the dash."

Why Lexus?

By on Thursday, March 17, 2011

"I went to compare the Lexus RX350 and Edge and decided to give the Explorer a try and never reliquished control. The car has an improved interior versus the Lexus (my wife has an RX350) and I have the versatility afforded by the extra room. Towing capacity is plenty for the small boat and responsiveness is impressive. In the end, I spent about $48k after adding an extended warranty and etc...The RX350 was $47k before warranties, tax, title...ect. Basically the Lexus would cost fractionally more but I felt the value was with the Explorer. I have had the car for one week and look forward to driving this for several years."

Not worth the money.

By on Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pros: "lots of space, awesome stability"

Cons: "mpg is to low, lots of electronics problems"

"My first Ford is also gonna be my last. It is advertised to do 19mpg but honestly I never got more then 15mpg's out of it. It's true that it is absolutely comfortable and with a lot of space on the inside with good looks on the outside but unless you are a professional driver it is a pain to back up without a camera. I did some good trail/off roading with it and it just sticks to the road. It is amazing how stable it is. But the stability and space are the only things that are good on it. Upkeep on this model is just a pain. Electronics are the biggest issue. From the antenna down to the tires I have had a problem with everything. Ford is gonna tell you there is nothing wrong with it but when everyday something is not working the way it should you know something is wrong. I would not recommend this to anybody. The new models 2013/2014 may be different."

Great Styling, and Functionality

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "Great style, fun to drive, great gas mileage for a mid-size suv, extra safety features"

Cons: "pricey"

"After doing a considerable amount of research, I decided on the Ford Explorer for the following reasons: 1) Technology options - I wanted a car that had voice, and touchscreen capability, as well as Bluetooth, A/V, and iPhone compatibility. 2) Safety Features - A key selling point was the Blindspot indicator system, rear inflatable seat belts for the safety of children, and seniors, as well as front, and side impact air bags 3) Styling - The 2011/2012 Ford Explorer has an aggressive style profile that sets it apart from other SUV's in it's class. Rather than smooth rounded contouring, the Explorer sports a more angular style, especially the front end. 4) Fuel Economy - Best in Class Fuel Economy - FWD 17/25 - Interestingly enough, I've actually gotten better hwy mpg, than the stated 25 mpg."

Exactly what I wanted

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Styling, features, handling"

Cons: "gear ratios, third row leg room"

"I did a lot of research on the web to find what mid-sized SUV I wanted. This Explorer fit the bill perfectly. (Traded in a Toyota Sienna Van). First, the styling caught my attention and after 6 months I still find myself thinking what a great looking car it is. The interior was the most comfortable of several models I test drove (Highlander, Traverse, Grand Cherokee). I love the cockpit and Sync touch screen, works perfectly with my I-phone and Bluetooth music. The vehicle drives great for an SUV compared to past Explorers and truck frame based SUV's. The price and gas mileage fit in line with other car brand's similar sized models. The power could be a little better, although once you learn how the vehicle shifts (up-shifts very fast leaving car in a high gear at low speed) it does fine in normal driving conditions. It would be nice to have the eco-drive available on the less expensive trims. I have had no mechanical problems. I have done some variable conditions road driving (no serious off-road, snow and dirt roads) the car has handled great on icy roads and has multiple settings to help with conditions. A few features that I love are the keyless entry and starter, with the Bluetooth phone paring you never have to fumble to find your keys and phone, grab the door handle, push the start button and go! I love the sound system, my model has the premium sound and it is the best factory system I've heard. I love the cap-less gas valve. A few minor cons: the gas door is on the passenger side and most vehicles seem to be on the driver's side, it has caused some problems at busy gas stations. The door jams are very wide and it is a bit of effort to get out of the vehicle. The third row is for children only, very limited leg room and also makes the second row not comfortable for tall people. Overall I am really happy with the purchase, I got the vehicle certified used and it came with an excellent interest rate. I do not have any regrets buying this Explorer, great job Ford, buy American!"