2011 Ford Explorer

8.1

Based on 200 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Bought a 2014 XLT too

By on Wednesday, August 24, 2016

"Pros: Wifes favorite car ever in last 30 years cause it does eveything. Comfort, roominess,(carries a Great Dane plus our kids) No blind spots, 22mpg, Tows a 3,000lb boat no problem. Cons: Battery dead at the 2 year point on both SUVS @$140.00. Drivers side armrest cracked on both SUVS, (under warranty). Brake dust/metal, leaves rust spots on white or silver paint."

Power and Style

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Pros: "Power"

Cons: "Fuel Economy"

"I bought my Explorer Sport new in 2014. I purchased it for the power and technology options. Overall I'm still happy with it. Although I don't need the 3rd row seat, I've only used it a couple of times, I wanted the option and space. What I do like is the flexibility in loading up the back. With the 3rd row seat down, it provides a couple of storage options. We've hauled furniture easily. You can't beat the power, and overall sexiness of the vehicle. The seats are all comfortable for a 600 mile trip. The options for adaptive cruise control and automatic headlight shut off have been great features. Heated/Cooled seats along with auto start made this car very comfortable when getting in. I can auto start my car before leaving work when it's 100 degrees, and when I get in the car, it's nicely cooled off ready to drive. The only thing I'm not wild about is the fuel economy. I did sacrifice this a bit by buying the Sport, and overall, I will give up a few MPG for the comfort and power."

Love our Explorer; We're proud to drive it.

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Pros: "Perfect for family of 4 +, great for road trips."

"2015 STL, two wheel drive. We bought it for towing a camper. It came with a towing package. We sold the camper. We also wanted to be able to take our four grandchildren in one car. Now two of them are moving to another state. We hate to give up our pride and joy but we now need a smaller car. Leather seats; heated front seat. We have back seat air, folding second and third row seats, giving us large area of flat room all the way to the back of the front seats. Large storage space behind third row seats when upright; auto hatch open and close with remote. Phone connect for hands-free talking. Back up camera. Blind spot mirrors. I have trouble navigating one of the features on the dash screen because of movement. Great turning radius. Love front console. Sturdy tires. Seats are easy to convert."

2014 EXPLORER SPORT - AWESOME

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, quick, attention grabber"

Cons: "people think i'm a cop, wish radio went louder"

"Awesome car! This is my first SUV I've had and i love it. I feel the right height is perfect. Not too low, and not to high. I dont feel like i'm going to rip my pants when trying to get in like I feel when i'm getting in my buddy's F-150 (no step), yet its high enough to see the road and feel confident while driving. the interior provides options for different interior configurations and it seemed to work perfectly for the one road trip i've had so far. when i first bought the car i though it was a big sluggish than expected. However, I have about 4,000 miles on it now and it seems to be getting quicker everyday and its now about the level i expected it to be. (love hovering around 40mph then punching it!) also, i feel confident in quick cornering, i dont feel like i'm going to tip over. i've even taken the circle exit ramps at 50mph no problem as i would in my mustang also. overall i'm happy with it 100%.. no regrets. i love the look of the sport amd i wouldnt have it any other way. One downside is by having a white explorer with a black grill many people think i'm a cop from a distance so i've seen may car in front of me slow down when i'm coming up on them! (but its also funny). i love the car and i wouldnt trade it for anything. but there a just a couple con's i've came up with: 1. myford touch doesnt recognize pandora 2. i cant get lane keep assist in the sport model 3. i cant get park assist in the sport model 4. no HID lights w/ LED license plte light 5. no automatic wipers.... for 50k i'd expect automatic wipers and HID's to make it look like its worth every bit of that 50,000 i have everything fully loaded besides the screens in the headrest and my sticker price was 49,700. however i'm leasing the car on the Z-plan. 2,000 down 466/month for 24months. 15k miles/yr. hope this helps!"

Great vehicle for a small family

By on Saturday, January 4, 2014

Pros: "A looker both inside and out. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Tad bit expensive. Not the ideal family vehicle."

"After owning my 2013 Explorer XLT for the past 12 months here are my reviews; OUTSIDE: PROS: The body style, though three years old now, still surprises some people when they find out it's a Ford Explorer. Great design upgrade Ford! The ride is smooth and the wind noise is kept to a minimum for an SUV. CONS: The seemingly wider body can be a challenge to park in narrow parking lot spaces. The body panels are rounded to where you aren't sure if you are going to hit a vehicle while parking. I've gotten use to it but my wife absolutely hates it. The door panels are large and allow road grime and water inside them but the seals keep it out of the cabin. It's more of a cosmetic thing since the only thing it affects is the appearance when you open the doors. Doesn't offer power folding mirrors. These are becoming popular here in the United States (have been STANDARD on all vehicles manufactured in Japan since 1996) and are very nice when parking in parking lots or "two car" garages (since we all know that two car garages will only fit two compact cars). ELECTRICAL: PROS: I really like the My Ford Touch system and have not had any issues with it. There have been two upgrades that have come out this year but I've never had any issues with my system. (Note that I do NOT own the Navigation system that seems to give others issues) I really enjoy the touch screen and the touch responses are pretty quick. There is a lot there, in particular with the Climate controls, but what touch system now a days isn't. The ability to keep the dash readout clean by allowing you to scroll though different gauge settings and views is a plus as well. Rear view camera is a blessing since the field of view outside the back window isn't very large. CONS: The headlights tend to cause other drivers to flash their lights at you because they think you have your brights on. I'm not a big fan of these type of lights because they concentrate the light and therefore either you can see whats there or you can't. There is a defined line of light that limits your night vision. Inside the line of light you see what's there. Outside the line, you don't! In my opinion, this can be very dangerous. Power driver and passenger seats are nice but a bit on the slow side. Speed these up a bit. With the XLT model there are no seat memory settings offered. INTERIOR ROOM: PROS: The seating is nice and offers room for seven. The third row seat is a nice addition as well. CONS: The third row seating takes away leg room from the back seat passengers and the third row seating is really meant for young children so "technically" you can fit seven, but five of those seven better be young children for comfort reasons. The third row is accessible via a flip up back seat on the passenger side only since the back seat is a 60/40 bench (unless you opt for the captain chairs). In my case, I have two young children in forward facing booster seats and a baby in a rear facing car seat. Because of the third row seating moving the back seats forward, YOU CAN NOT PUT A REAR FACING CHILD SEAT BEHIND THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SEATS WITHOUT HAVING THOSE SEATS IN A MORE FORWARD POSITION THAN WHAT WOULD BE COMFORTABLE. To help you picture this, I am 5'9" and my daughter's rear facing car seat would not fit behind my seat without my knees hugging the dashboard. A rear facing seat will however fit in the middle of the bench seat just fine with both front seats in a normal position. If you have two children (twins maybe) this would not be a good fit for you. The XLT trim level does NOT offer power adjustable gas and brake pedals. However it does try to compensate for this by offering a manual adjustable steering wheel that you can extend or retract based on your arm length needs. Not a big fan of this limitation since my wife's Expedition has power adjustable pedals and she is rather a bit height challenged. POWER: PROS: The 3.5L V-6 is very adequate for everyday driving duties however I wouldn't want to tow much with it. According to my system checks, I average 19.5 MPG which is pleasantly nice for an SUV. CONS: If you are going to offer a tow package, offer a V-8 OR make the 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6 an option for every trim level and NOT JUST the Explorer Sport trim."