2006 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 425 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Eddie Bauer 2006 "Dora" the Explorer

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Pros: "Large, safe, reliable and dependable!"

Cons: "Not a race car. Can't swim."

"She always got me safely to point A - point B. She was my first car I learned to drive in and I will always have fond memories of my "Dora". Kind of like a sporty soccer mom car, that I still drove rather fast in. I racked miles up in her quickly and she was nothing but reliable. She's large and has plenty of room to keep all of my horse's large equipment. She was like my traveling closet. She stayed durable for 2 hour commutes for a few months, and I likely put 50 miles on daily after that phase. Never ran into any engine problems, nor electrical except for the lighting menu in her radio died out. Only reason I don't have her anymore is due to the fact she can't swim, due to a hurricane and where I live floods like an ocean.. She couldn't stand a chance as she had, at the highest peak of water, been submerged more than half way.. R.I.P. My one and only Dora, the Explorer.. I would have adored to have had her with me longer."

Beautiful truck

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"Having traded in a 2002 Explorer LX, I now have a 2006 Eddie Bauer loaded. The 6 cyl is a little weak in the performance catagory as compared to the V8. The interior is really plush, and the seating is extremely comfortable. Sometimes it like flying a 747 with all the indicators and displays. However, I really like this big bear. Its safe, quiet, and handles real easy. If you want bang for your buck, buy one of these trucks, you'll be glad you did.."

2006 4x4 EBauer V-8

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Always been a GM and Toyota person for many years. Gave the Explorer a try. Honestly I was very surprised. Crash test is 5 Star & Green, GM comparables (Trailblazer) are 3 & 4 Star, Yellow & Red. More head room and overall interior space than the 4-Runner. Handles great, quiet and very comfortable ride, even when off road. Over 290 HP, Over 300 lbs. Torque. Only thing to ever go wrong was a power window motor. That was it. Everything else still working just fine. 6 CD and Navigation with voice directions = Fantastic. Plenty of rear leg room for passengers. Not sure what the other reviewers are talking about. This SUV is by far the most bang for the buck out there."

Ford Explorer

By on Thursday, February 14, 2008

"When I bought this SUV I was trading in a Mercedes ML 350 because I needed something with a third row seat. When I drove the Explorer for the first time it didn't feel much different the my Mercedes so I was very impressed with the ride and how it handled. I do have to say that the explorer was not designed with the tall person in mind. I am 6' 2" and when I put the sun visor down it completely bolcks my view in front of me. When I have the steering wheel lowered to a comfortable position, it blocks the view of the spedometer. I overall do like the truck so I don't mind the somwhat inconvieniences I mentioned. The door latch and gear shift are new and modern...people can never figure out how to get out. The door pull is too low down and uncomfortable for me. I also feel the brake release is too far down. It almost strains my back to reach it. I love the trip computer that tells me everything from how many miles I can drive until empty, my MPG, low tire pressure, if a door is open, when an oil changed is due, etc. I also like that other dirvers seem to move out of my way when they see me coming. It looks bigger than it realy is. Size wise it is perfect for me. I drove the Epedition and felt like I was in a U-haul moving truck. Just too big. The only problem I have had up to this point is that the lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 7K miles and I can hear a strange squeaking noise comming from the rear right wheel when driving 5 mph. I still haven't taken it in to have it checked out."

Great value for the money

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"My wife and I bought the Explorer because we are having our first baby in Nov. We bought the Explorer last year and I must say that in the time we've had it it has been a great vehicle and we have taken it on several long trips. It is roomy and comfortable and very functional for our needs. The 4.0L gives us plenty of hp and it gets decent hwy mileage for an SUV and a big 6 cyl. I am most impressed with the safety features since it is my wife's vehicle and will be carrying the baby around a lot as well. I would recommend one to any family looking for a nicely priced, optioned and safe SUV."

Best tow vehicle in this size ever.

By on Wednesday, May 1, 2013

"Quite, smooth and comfortable. Interior door handles are funky. Best tow vehicle for the size. V8 has power to do anything you need. Regularly pulls a 4000 lb trailer effortlessly. Transmission makes a clunk when cold but has never caused a problem. Ford could not find anything wrong. Love it, would buy another!"

the best car a have ever had

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

"i fall in love with this car @ first time, great look , amazing comfort, runs so smooth and super economic on gas. the best choice i ever made buying a car."

Best of everything

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"This vehicle is large enough for 7 people and can haul a lot of cargo with the rear seat down. Very reliable and easy to drive. Good mileage for an SUV. I average 18.5 city and just over 21 hwy. My wife liked mine so much she bought one for herself."

Great Vehichle

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I bought my 2006 Explorer in April 2007. I have taken it on two long trips, and many one day trips. Anyone thinking about this vehichle needs to compare the V8 option to the standard V6. Mine is a V8 four wheel drive. I love it so far. It has the muscle and capability to go the places I like to go and the zip to pass quickly on two-lane roads. The only problems I have had are electric windows (covered by warranty) and one day it failed to start for a few minutes when I left wal-mart. Eventually it did start and I haven't had the problem again. It would make a great vehichle for famlies or anyone. I am single and it is a great fit for me. I have plenty of room when my family visits (optional third seat)."

I love my car! It is the 2nd explorer I have loved

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "The new design--no!"

Cons: "Cars need a place for ladies'purses."

"I want my explorer to last forever, because I do not like the design changes in the newer models. The dash controls are too busy and less user friendly, the seating is made for taller men only and the rear slope design is now like all the others rather than the squared design I love. My Explorer has been perfect for the many events of my life. It is the perfect height and size. It is elegant, and continues to draw admiring comments 8 years later."

Great SUV to own!

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pros: "Affordable, tons of fun, lots of room, great powerful engine"

Cons: "Air vents aren't positioned well, not a lot of leg room for passengers, not the best gas mileage"

"I've had this truck for a month now and although I haven't had it long enough for it to prove reliable I just love it. I've never owned an SUV before but I test drove many and this was the easiest and most comfortable one to drive. There are a few things I would change in the interior like how the air vents don't reach up very high and there isn't much leg room in the back for passengers but overall this is a nice ride. I have the v6 4x4 and it doesn't get the best gas mileage...I get about 13/14 miles per gallon just because my work commute is mainly city driving. But I'm sure it will be much better for our family road trips. Can't wait for many more years with this truck. So far so good!"

Un-explodable

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"This is my 2nd Explorer, I bought it with 26,000 miles, It now has 226,000 miles. I just replaced the original alternator at 220,000 and the original front brake pads at 195,000, and front wheel bearings at 200,000. EVERYTHING ELSE on the car is completely original and working flawlessly. I average 19-20 mpg. I tow heavy trailers all the time and even take her off road."

Very Nice SUV

By on Monday, January 24, 2011

"Very good vehicle after 35,000 miles. Comfortable for long trips, and excellent in poor weather conditions. Am considering ordering the new 2011 Explorer. This will be my 4th Explorer in 9 years!!"

Perfect For Me

By on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Excellent SUV, unstoppable in deep snow (high road clearance was a factor). Very comfortable seating and good visibility make it a good road car. Only problem in 4+ years was a chronic/mysterious problem with fuel quantity system that gave false "sensor failure" indications. Dealerships worked with me, eventually finding damaged factory wire harness above fuel tank. Trouble free since. Great usable cargo space does not require high lift to clear tail gate."

Great SUV!!

By on Thursday, July 2, 2009

"I've had my 2007 Explorer for 2 years, it's my 2nd Explorer and I wouldn't own any other SUV. It's reliable, has great styling and rides like a car. I drove from NY to TX and the ride was comfortable. It did pretty well on gas considering I only spent $340 for gas when it was $3.69/gal and I drove 1800 miles. I have friends that are on their 3rd or 4th. We love this SUV. Great job Ford!"

One of best vehicles owned

By on Saturday, May 16, 2009

"This is the 2nd Explorer I have owned is thye best yet. I owned this one for 2 1/2 years. I have had no major problems. It is a pleasure to drive. The V6 has all the power and performance I need and is very good on gas mileage."

comfortable ride

By on Saturday, December 20, 2008

"I bought my 2006 Ford Exlporer Eddie Bauer ed approximately 6 months ago. The ride is extremely comfortable and handles well. I have a small boat and it hauls it with no problems. I have been experiencing ignition/electrical trouble where often times the vehicle wont start. The vehicle is still under warranty however the problem is annoying. Other than that the gas mileage is great 22-24 mpg highway miles."

Good Pick!

By on Thursday, December 18, 2008

"We needed an 'upgrade' as far as power and room and this fit the bill. Has ample power to tow our boat and camper and all our 'stuff' and w/the third row, it can carry our kids and their friends too! The split bench seats fold flat which is also a big plus w/our ski equipment. Nice looking vehicle (we have the V8 limited edition) with fun comforts for long travels. Handled our Northern Vermonts' recent weather (snow, ice, snow...)very well - we do have snow tires. There are a few 'bells & whistles' we need to get used to but that's b/c wer'e used to the 'basic models'. We chose to add an extended warrenty b/c we bought this used (40.000 miles one owner). The vehicle is as good as the dealer and we have a great dealer up here. Did a lot of research re: SUV's before we chose the Ford, and when buying used, this was the best deal. Read several of the reviews before buying and if you notice, many of the positive reviews come from folks like us who live in rural/mountain areas - the Explorer has more truck like qualities vs. other SUV's which is what we needed. Happy w/our recent purchase!"

Best all-around vehicle

By on Sunday, June 22, 2008

"Great all-around rig. I live in rural Alaska, 3 children, with long distances to travel during very cold winter temp. of 40/50 below. My truck has never been garaged; (I plug it in at night during the winter) I've put over two thousand miles a month on it- still runs smooth as ever. The engine's so quiet I have almost restarted it thinking it was not running. Comfy cloth seats, 2 extra flip-up seats in the back, Powerful front and back heater, tinted windows, A/C, CD player -lots of storage compartments, cupholders, easy to load/unload, nice, quiet ride. Almost 19 mpg on the highway, which isn't too bad! Of all the trucks I've owned, I like this one the very best!"

Top of the line

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"I've had 17 Fords in my lifetime and this Explorer Limited is the best ever. Not a problem so far. For a V8 it gives me 20.8 mpg doing 80 mph on the Interstate and an excellent ride. Very quiet with great safety features. Handles very nicely and a comfortable ride. Recommend highly."

Reliable and ough

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"I bought the '07 Limited in January. This is the third Explorer I have owned. This one was quite hard to find with the options I wanted. Only complaints are with the gas mileage and transmission (shifting is suspect at times). Ford has done a great job with suspension, comfort and noise level on the later models. I would highly recommend getting an Explorer!"

The best vehicle I ever owned

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Reason: Car accident

Pros: "Comfort, reliability, size, so fun to drive!"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I've never owned a car for more than about 80K miles before I'd sell it, but my Explorer was different. I bought it new, and drove it everywhere for about 9 years and racked up 188,000 miles on it! Unfortunately, I was in a bad car accident, and I believe it's now totaled (no official word on that yet). I'm not saying that I never had to put money in it, but it was so reliable. It was large enough to take my husband, kids, and my kids' friends anywhere we wanted to go. It wasn't the most fuel efficient, but I overlooked that too because it was just so easy to drive. I'm only 5'2", and I loved how I sat so high in that vehicle. I have replaced it with a Ford Escape since my kids are older (downsizing), but I seriously miss my Explorer, and I wish the car dealer would have shown me some. He highly recommended the Escape. Anyway, my husband will be in the market for another car soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if we bought another Explorer."

Great family all season car. Able to tow 23' camp

By on Friday, March 7, 2014

"Wife loves visibility while driving. 3rd row seating for grand kids! Wanted pickup, wife wanted car. Explorer was in between."

LOVE

By on Monday, December 2, 2013

Pros: "fun and easy to drive"

"I love the Explorer's. I have had 6 Ford Explorers and I have loved every one of them. I keep buying newer models, but each time I hate to get rid of my old one because I love it. I have not found a car, truck or SUV that turns, parks or drives as easy as the Explorer. On my way to buy one now."

Excellent, reliable car

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pros: "4 wheel drive, leather interior"

"I had only one problem with the computer in the car which was fixed quickly. I had to replace the battery. the 4 wheel drive gave me a great sense of security during the winter months. The little extras on the Iron Man package made it stand out and findable in parking lots. It's time to start looking for a replacement and it will be very difficult to let this one go!"