2004 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1153 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

nice ride, comfort, feel etc

By on Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pros: "Great ride, good feel, solid high quality feel"

Cons: "drivetrain repair expence"

"Maintenance expence was high due to wheel bearing replacement on average every 60000 mi. They are expensive parts, 200 dollars apiece for the fronts , plus labor,350 for the rears, I have gone through 3 sets in 180000 miles and they all need replaced again. I have had this car lazer aligned 5 times in five years and it does not seem to make a difference. I have gotten as high as 22 mpg on highway trips and average 17.5 around town with this car, so fuel econamy has not been bad for a large AWD SUV."

Excellent Vehicle, Very Safe

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"We bought our 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 brand new almost 6 years ago. It has always been a dependable and comfortable vehicle. Drives better than any other SUV on the market, comfortable and quiet also. We have not had any trouble with this vehicle at all. It had a recall for the hinges on the back window and that is the only time in it was in the shop over 146,000 miles driven. Performed all regular maintenance on it myslef. 4x4 with average MPG at 19 with 22-23 MPG on the highway. Without towing package it would have been even better since it would have been geared differently. The only reason the quality is at 4 stars is that it developed a slight vibration/rattle in the dash that I had to correct. I was looking forward to many more miles but someone else interrupted that. I was side swiped, went through a ditch, hit a culvert, flipped over and rolled 3 times yesterday. That's right yesterday. All 4 doors still open and the cabin is not compromised at all. I cut my seatbelt off-I was upside-down-, climbed out and called a wrecker. No injuries. I know that if I was in my wife's Acura MDX that it would not have held up as well and I probably wouldn't have been as protected. The Explorer is a solid, reliable, and safe vehicle. Hands down the class of the field."

Taking a chance!

By on Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Just picked up a 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer Loaded with 80,000miles. I read the reviews and decided to get an extended warranty to cover the vehicle. Its a great SUV. It seems everyone who hates the explorer are people who didn't get an extended warranty and dished out $$$$. In fact the day I bought it I brought it back and they replaced the transmission. Now is a great time to pick up one of these. But get the warranty! I got my explorer in perfect condition for 7K. 5 years ago they ran $35,000."

Awesome Vehicle! I am 60+ and want another one

By on Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Pros: "Vehicle Size is perfect; 3rd row seat is a plus"

Cons: "Needs more USB slots - glove box & rear seat"

"We leased the Explorer LTD, and at the end of our 3 year lease, we purchased the vehicle. I am a 60 year old grandma, and I just LOVE this car. It "turns on a dime" - the driving radius is incredible. It is extremely comfortable to sit in, I feel safe in this vehicle. I will be purchasing a NEW Explorer within the next few months! I can not imagine life without an Explorer. It is PERFECT for hauling our toddler grandson and all of his "gear"! We babysit him everyday, and the Explorer has been fantastic."

Reliable and Rugged

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Powerful, rugged, and durable"

Cons: "replaced solenoid at 100+K"

"This car will go anywhere. We live in Northern Vermont, and we get ice, snow, rain..you name it. The Explorer drives through it all like it's a sunny day. The car is very reliable, and fairly low maintenance. I've put 64K of the 115K miles on it (bought in 2010), and I've really enjoyed all of them. The car is roomy without being awkward and hard to drive. It does well on gas for the size of the car (17 in winter and 19-20 mpg in summer.) It will tow a small motor boat without difficulty, and it will carry five people comfortably. We have had one major repair: the solenoid went at 100K. It was a $700 repair. No issues since. You will replace wheel bearings if you live in the country, but I think that's not unusual for these bigger SUV's. The inside is nicely featured, and the outside is nice to look at. I have some rust (which is expected after a decade of New England winters), but nothing that isn't directly related to road salt. All in all, this has been one of my favorite vehicles to own. The power, stability, and durability have made it a favorite."