2003 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1158 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

Nice affordable 2004 Ford Explorer

By on Saturday, October 1, 2016

Pros: "4x4, great condition, price, family car"

Cons: "fuel economy, no leather interior"

Photo taken October 1, 2016

"This has been a very reliable and good SUV. All normal maintenance has been done at the dealer servicing, and all maintenance and other paperwork has been saved in a binder. It's all there! Living on the bench of the mountains (Cottonwood Heights, UT), I can attest that it travels very well in the snow, 4x4, hills, etc. As expected, the fuel economy is where you would expect, 18 mpg in the city, and this would be its weakest point. Secondly, it does not have leather interior, but it still looks nice. It is great for road trips, family, and cargo when the back seats are down."

Photo taken October 1, 2016

BEST VEHICLE EVER

By on Thursday, February 4, 2010

"2002 w/145000 mi, purchased new: Still has original spark plugs, shocks, exhaust, ball joints; no wheel alignment, no rust, no accidents. Replaced wheel bearings, A/C condensor, rear springs, and 4X4 shift control module - only major repairs. Replaced brakes 2(or 3) times and rear rotors once and 7 yr old battery; 80000 mi on first tires...still going good on second set. Changing oil every 3000mi, religeously. 15mpg city/20-21mpg hwy. COST to DRIVE: $.237/mi BEST VEHICLE EVER"

I love my Explorer 2005

By on Thursday, January 26, 2017

Pros: "Great features, fun to drive, awesome in the snow"

Cons: "Hard to work on vehicle without lift or computer"

"I heard horror stories from others on the 2004 and older Explorers but no one could tell me if mine was in those categories or if I was about to be screwed. I've had my Explorer for about 5 years. It had 101,000 miles on it when I received it and now it has 189,000 with still no major issues other then constantly having to replace wheel bearings. I'm hoping to get another year or two out of the Explorer Eddie Bauer edition 2005. Absolutely love the features it comes with. Definitely a vehicle I would want brand new!"

One of the best vehicle I have owned!

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

"This car has been one of the best that I have owned. The engine with 249000 miles on it has been untouched by a mechanic except for oil changes and a alternator at 152000 miles At 248500 miles I replaced valve cover gaskets and front rear end seals. At 180000 miles I replaced the right rear wheel seals."

Great Buy

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I recently purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 Liter SOHC V8 and Four-Wheel Drive. I can say honestly that I haven't been happier about a vehicle I have bought. I was originally concerned about getting it since it is five years old and had 61,000 miles on it. Well, It now has almost 70,000 on it, has been to the Beach (Literally on it), in mud (Never once got stuck), and has been driven all over town and on the highways. I feel secure, it has pretty decent get-up-and-go, and is sure footed in the corners or under hard braking. I read a lot of car magazines, like Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Road & Track, and so I did a little of my own testing. With mine being an Eddie Bauer with a V8, I got it to run to 60 in about 8 seconds. The fastest I had it was 110, maybe 112. There is a speed governor, so it tops out right around there. My average MPG in town is around 13, and on the highway I get about 20-21. Not great, but I've driven worse. Off-Road, the suspension travel leaves something to be desired. Numerous times I have encountered un-even terrain and gotten stuck. Well, not stuck, but couldn't go forward without a running start. Two tires come off the ground and even in four low, it won't go. When it has all four down, it seems like it is unstoppable by the elements of nature. I'm sure that I could get it stuck should I try, but I think I'll leave that to the guys that don't care about what they drive. The interior is extreamly comfortable, decently quiet, the stereo is clear and can get pretty loud, there is room for all five people (I have the five passenger model), and the view out is relatively good. One comment I get from alot of people is that fact that the rear windows go all the way down. The adults like that. With the window lock on, the Children have no control of the window and it proves to be very helpful with three to six year olds in the back. Cargo room is abundant, I have yet to use the roof racks cause I can fit everything I need in the back. I would strongly recommend that a person looking for a reliable mid-size sport utility stop by a Ford dealer or used-car lot, or heck, even your neighbors house to take a look at an Explorer. You can go wrong!"

My favorite vehicle of all times

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Pros: "Love almost everything about it"

Cons: "Third row is a pain to get into"

"I owned many cars ,trucks, caravans and I have to say my 2004 FordEplorer is my favorite. It's definitly not a feminine vehicle .i have 189,000 miles with all origanal parts. I finally had to replace parts but only had to spend $2,500 for all new tires, bearing, upper lower control arm, alignment some rear work as well. This Truck never stood me wrong. I love how it rides. Mind you its not a smooth ride like a Honda pilot. This is a manly truck. I am afraid to get a newer model, newer is not always better"

This truck does it all for me Eddie Bauer V8

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

Pros: "Will do it all, haul people, cargo, lots of power"

Cons: "Bad reviews info screen too dark in daylight"

"I choose the 2002 explorer even though i have heard about all the problems, owning all fords my whole life i felt like i couldn't go wrong. I purchased it used from a ford dealership with 68,000. I have owned this vehicle for 4 years, eddie bauer v8 all wheel drive. I was a little apprehensive about this purchase, but i have to say that 4 years later i am very happy, only minor problems, i have put on 45,000 miles in four years, from highway driving, light off road/sand-dirt, and snow. I have heard alot of bad reviews about transmissions, and other serious problems, maybe im lucky, i have not experienced any of the major problems, i maintain it very well, changing major fluids before recommended intervals sometimes in the crucial areas like trans, transfer case, coolant. It is very fast, lots of extra power with the v8 that you don't get with the v6, i guess only time will tell!"

Good midsize SUV

By on Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Pros: "Great cargo hauler, solid & safe feeling"

Cons: "Rear hatch freezes, dash is not logically oriented"

2003 Explorer 295,000 miles on it

"Great cargo hauler. Little harsh on bumps especially in the back seat. Excellent acceleration with the 4.0 L V6, with reasonable highway fuel consumption. As expected, short trip consumption is in the high single digits in the winter to about 13 in good weather. Effortlessly switches between 'Auto 4WD' and '4x4 high' on the fly... I question what Ford called '4x4 Auto' it handles like 2 wheel drive. For snow-packed roads, I use the '4x4 Low' around town which takes about 10 seconds to switch to (and out of) and must be done at a standstill in neutral. Front seats are reasonably comfortable-I am not sure about the back. Heat to the back seat is limited. The only major complaints I have is the poorly designed rear hatch and lack of block heater on a vehicle built for Northern Minnesota. Ford's attempt to make the rear bumper level with the hatch floor, resulted in any snow or ice accumulations jamming the hatch from opening. And of course, the curve of the bumper encourages snow and ice buildup. Access can still be had thru the rear window, but this limits the hatch's usefulness. All in all, with nearly 300,000 miles on the vehicle and only regular maintenance done (based on service records-I'm the 2nd owner), everything still still works well, body is solid, and it easily starts at -25F without a block heater (using 5w20 synthetic oil), this vehicle has given me much more than my money's worth."

2003 Explorer 295,000 miles on it

Really like this vehicle

By on Thursday, June 18, 2015

Pros: "Just about everything is great."

Cons: "plastic hatch, high seats"

"This is a great vehicle. Big enough to handle just about anything you want to carry. Runs great and has alot of getup and go. Very safe feeling car. The only 2 things I didn't like about this car was the small hatch in the back is made of plastic and cracked. I've seen many others with the same defect. The other thing is that I'm 6'3" tall, and the drivers seat is alittle to high. Can't adjust it down enough for me. Other than that, this car has been very reliable and great for trips and around town driving. When I have to sell it, I'm going to be very unhappy."

an amazing vehicle!

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pros: "fun, depedable, comfort, powerful"

"this truck has took me and my family everywheres. Has never let us down. It really does run all day everyday everywhere i use it to go to work then my wife uses it to go to work and inbetween it does all the stoping and going for all three of are children all week then on the weekends it takes us to are family away places. its great off roading never got stuck and we been very deep in mud. hold alot of wait. and has plenty of room for all of us plus bagged. it a great dependable truck and the gas millage is great i think we get 19-20 highway and 17 city."

LOVED this vehicle!

By on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Reason: traded in for better mileage and newer

Pros: "All the features of a luxury car, pretty, dependab"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"It was just time to get a smaller car with better mileage, since I recently sold my horse trailer and won't need a vehicle able to pull it. I'm sad to say good-bye to my beautiful, dependable Explorer! Lots of great memories of horse shows with my daughter, <3"

Good Truck

By on Monday, November 26, 2007

"I have owned my 2003 Explorers since I bought it new. I have 120,000 miles on it now and am expecting to keep it for awhile. The repairs have been reasonable, but I never like to have anything go bad. When it was new within the first couple of weeks, it was stalling on takeoff. I took it back to the dealer, and they fixed it. It has never done it again. At 105,000 miles, I had to replace some of the parking brake, as well as the brake pads. The ride is pretty rough, but it is a real SUV built on a truck type chasis, not a SUV shaped body placed on a car plateform. The ride improved significatly when the Michelin tires finally wore out at 85,000 miles. I replaced them with a set of Goodyears that take some of the bumps out. The cloth seats that I have are supportive, but way below par on comfort. The Front seats are bad enough, but the back seats are almost embarrasing when taking friends on hunting trips. One drawback is that as of the last time I check Uhaul still will not rent a trailer when they know it will be towed by this Explorer. I have had at least 1000 lbs. of bricks in the back, and this truck had no issues at all. From the outside, it did not appear to sag at all. I was impressed, and begain to understand why the ride is rough. It is hard to give both a soft ride, and a large payload capacity. I did get stuck in a 3 ft. drift of snow once. I tried to just barrel through it in my driveway instead of shoveling it. The truck ended up just teatering on the snow without enough wieght on the wheels to move itself. I ended up shoveling the snow from underneath the truck, and got it going. I may be a little picky whith the heat, but I like the heat to blow on my feet and never on my face. In this truck, the hot air somehow misses my feet, and bounces off the floor up into my face. Not a big deal for most people, but it is the little things that make you fall in love with a vehicle. I fell in love with the 1997 thunderbird I had. This truck just seems to do what I expect, but does not instill passion. I hope this helps."

nice ride, comfort, feel etc

By on Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pros: "Great ride, good feel, solid high quality feel"

Cons: "drivetrain repair expence"

"Maintenance expence was high due to wheel bearing replacement on average every 60000 mi. They are expensive parts, 200 dollars apiece for the fronts , plus labor,350 for the rears, I have gone through 3 sets in 180000 miles and they all need replaced again. I have had this car lazer aligned 5 times in five years and it does not seem to make a difference. I have gotten as high as 22 mpg on highway trips and average 17.5 around town with this car, so fuel econamy has not been bad for a large AWD SUV."

Best SUV I've Owned

By on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"There has been nothing wrong with my Explorer other than an alternator. I have gone through some gruesome off road trails and rough Minnesota winters with this vehicle and it comes out of all of it standing tall. I've had Blazers and previous Explorers and this one is the best. I sell Ford's and I would highly recommend the 2003-2005 models. I don't so much like the newer ones. I feel the styling and functionality is rather cheesy. You've picked a winner if you're reading this!"

Excellent Vehicle, Very Safe

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"We bought our 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 brand new almost 6 years ago. It has always been a dependable and comfortable vehicle. Drives better than any other SUV on the market, comfortable and quiet also. We have not had any trouble with this vehicle at all. It had a recall for the hinges on the back window and that is the only time in it was in the shop over 146,000 miles driven. Performed all regular maintenance on it myslef. 4x4 with average MPG at 19 with 22-23 MPG on the highway. Without towing package it would have been even better since it would have been geared differently. The only reason the quality is at 4 stars is that it developed a slight vibration/rattle in the dash that I had to correct. I was looking forward to many more miles but someone else interrupted that. I was side swiped, went through a ditch, hit a culvert, flipped over and rolled 3 times yesterday. That's right yesterday. All 4 doors still open and the cabin is not compromised at all. I cut my seatbelt off-I was upside-down-, climbed out and called a wrecker. No injuries. I know that if I was in my wife's Acura MDX that it would not have held up as well and I probably wouldn't have been as protected. The Explorer is a solid, reliable, and safe vehicle. Hands down the class of the field."

Taking a chance!

By on Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Just picked up a 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer Loaded with 80,000miles. I read the reviews and decided to get an extended warranty to cover the vehicle. Its a great SUV. It seems everyone who hates the explorer are people who didn't get an extended warranty and dished out $$$$. In fact the day I bought it I brought it back and they replaced the transmission. Now is a great time to pick up one of these. But get the warranty! I got my explorer in perfect condition for 7K. 5 years ago they ran $35,000."

I've never owned a vehicle as long as this one

By on Thursday, December 29, 2016

Pros: "Comfortable, well-appointed, great cargo volume"

Cons: "Gas mileage, paint problem on roof"

"I own multiple cars, so I can't say the Explorer has ever been a daily driver. I've owned it for about 12 years, and it has about 94,000 miles. Still looks like new. I refer to it as the "pack mule" because it has great cargo space and gets used to haul bags of topsoil and mulch and plants from the garden center. I always drive it to work in the snow, even though I've always had at least one additional 4WD vehicle. It's been extremely reliable with no unusual repairs for a vehicle of this age. I did have an issue with the paint on the roof peeling off. Shame on Ford...this has been a big problem with these vehicles. It cost me about $700 because there was some rust before I ever realized what was happening."

Awesome Vehicle! I am 60+ and want another one

By on Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Pros: "Vehicle Size is perfect; 3rd row seat is a plus"

Cons: "Needs more USB slots - glove box & rear seat"

"We leased the Explorer LTD, and at the end of our 3 year lease, we purchased the vehicle. I am a 60 year old grandma, and I just LOVE this car. It "turns on a dime" - the driving radius is incredible. It is extremely comfortable to sit in, I feel safe in this vehicle. I will be purchasing a NEW Explorer within the next few months! I can not imagine life without an Explorer. It is PERFECT for hauling our toddler grandson and all of his "gear"! We babysit him everyday, and the Explorer has been fantastic."

Best Vehicle ever!!!!

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "All around I cant complain"

"Okay I want to first start off by saying I owned 2 Ford Cars and hated it and swore up and down for all the issues I went threw with Ford and the cars I Said I would never buy a Ford Again. However For some reason something told me to buy a Ford Explorer. So I did and I have to say I have owned so many cars and this one is my favorite. I have 181000 2004 and have no issues no leaks no nothing. Cant wait to purchase a FORD truck in the future. I love My Explorer"

Reliable and Rugged

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Powerful, rugged, and durable"

Cons: "replaced solenoid at 100+K"

"This car will go anywhere. We live in Northern Vermont, and we get ice, snow, rain..you name it. The Explorer drives through it all like it's a sunny day. The car is very reliable, and fairly low maintenance. I've put 64K of the 115K miles on it (bought in 2010), and I've really enjoyed all of them. The car is roomy without being awkward and hard to drive. It does well on gas for the size of the car (17 in winter and 19-20 mpg in summer.) It will tow a small motor boat without difficulty, and it will carry five people comfortably. We have had one major repair: the solenoid went at 100K. It was a $700 repair. No issues since. You will replace wheel bearings if you live in the country, but I think that's not unusual for these bigger SUV's. The inside is nicely featured, and the outside is nice to look at. I have some rust (which is expected after a decade of New England winters), but nothing that isn't directly related to road salt. All in all, this has been one of my favorite vehicles to own. The power, stability, and durability have made it a favorite."

great suv!

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "durability /reliability"

Cons: "around town gas mileage/no ash trays"

"I purchased my Explorer xls new in June,'03 for 26k. after 10 years' and almost 240k, I can state this is the best vehicle purchase I've ever made. It has never once failed to start right up or let me down in any manner with only routine and sometimes late maintenance. I have kept it waxed and detailed and it still looks' like a new one. The cloth interior doesn't have a rip or tear anywhere. Gas mileage is reasonable on the road but a guzzler around town; still, that is a small tradeoff all thing's considered. Wish I had bought two instead of one."

2003 ford explorer

By on Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pros: "Good gas milage for the vehicle. 15-22 mpg"

Cons: "Power driver seat switch is hard to get to."

"Very comfortable ride. Very reliable. I love it!"

GREAT

By on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pros: "great overall"

"GREAT vehicle, performance,looks, in the snow : ) options, seats seven.."

This SUV is a workhorse

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and safe."

Cons: "spare tire is hard to get to"

"Bought this used and had all maintenance done at required times and excepting for the usual new tires, new battery, brakes and buffing out the various shopping cart dings, this truck just doesn't stop working. Only minor complaint is accessibility of the spare tire."

Excellent SUV

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "good price, fun, easy, large, good speakers"

Cons: "small glove box, reverse lights burn out easily"

"Reliable SUV, easy to drive, good turning ability for SUV, off roads well, huald cross country very well. The third row seats are not the easiest to put into the up right position, but are comfortabel for passengers. This was my first car, I moved in it mulitple times, got married and my family grew with it. I will never own another make or model."